Hello UGers, I have come into quite a predicament (lol),

Recently I Have formed a band with some of my closest friends. We have 2 guitarists and a Bassist, and we have wanted to find a vocalist/drummer for some time now. But there are 2 options that we could do. Considering that I have about a year and a half experience of guitar and 3 years experience in choir, we were thinking that instead of guitar I could do vocals. But I like playing my axe and I want to play in front of a crowd, but also I want to sing because I’m pretty good at it. Now I can’t play and sing because we are playing Thrashy/Melodic Stuff so I couldn’t breathe on the stage if I were to sing. We found another guitarist that might fit in for us, and then I could easily do vocals...but as I state above, I really want to play guitar. I have been saving to buy a new amp so me and the guitarist could practice and make riffs, but also I’m the only one I know that can scream/sing. What should I do?

I dont want to sound mean but please answer ASAP, we reallyy need to know. Thanks in advance.

P.S
The other guitarists influence are about the same as mine, and hes been playing for about 2 years. I don't know him that well as a person but we could work that out since i sit with him during our lunch.

-Reversal
Gear
Ibanez GIO Electric Guitar
Ibanez V50 Acoustic Guitar
Peavey Vypyr 75watt
RP55 Guitar Modulation (thinking of selling)

Fairmount Avenue
2 guitars > 1 guitar

Although you say you can't play your music and sing at the same time, you're talking about holding the entire guitar front, but if you had another guitarist, you could play easier, more rhythmic parts when you're singing, and do whatever you want in between. Problem solved, no?
Quote by Declan87
2 guitars > 1 guitar

Although you say you can't play your music and sing at the same time, you're talking about holding the entire guitar front, but if you had another guitarist, you could play easier, more rhythmic parts when you're singing, and do whatever you want in between. Problem solved, no?

Thats pretty true. Thats how most dual guitar bands do it, and then you can feel free to both solo (like metallica for example) or you could just stick to rhythm. It becomes a bit difficult trying to work out parts that suit you both, like for me and the singer in my band, I try and give him some lead time because its only fair, and hes probably a better guitarist than me anyway, so it all works out in the end. With more than one guitarist you get more variation and a broader range of sounds.
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
Quote by Declan87
2 guitars > 1 guitar

Sorry, maybe I didn’t make my statements and questions clear.

We have already have two guitarists which are me and my friend. Since it’s so hard to find a singer, I might move to that position leaving our guitar position open. We found someone wanting to fill in the other guitarist position(Yes, I can sing while playing). So my question was would it be a good idea to do this?
Gear
Ibanez GIO Electric Guitar
Ibanez V50 Acoustic Guitar
Peavey Vypyr 75watt
RP55 Guitar Modulation (thinking of selling)

Fairmount Avenue
Quote by Reversal

We have already have two guitarists which are me and my friend. Since it’s so hard to find a singer, I might move to that position leaving our guitar position open. We found someone wanting to fill in the other guitarist position(Yes, I can sing while playing). So my question was would it be a good idea to do this?

but then you won't play guitar and you may forever be unhappy!

You're asking if you would rather play guitar or sing.

I would say play guitar. But, that's because I'm a guitarist, and I find it more njoyable than singing.
Quote by Reversal

Seriously, it is your decision. Either way is fine.