I have an Ibanez 100 watt 8ohm head with a 5150 300 (I think) watt 16 ohm cab. Is this mix going to screw one or the other up? And will it affect the sound at all?

I play on clean and my band only has 1 guitarist, 1 bassist, a drummer, and a vocalist so I don't need to crank hard at all to be heard through the mix.
you'll only be playing around 70-80 watts cranked but it's fine
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Number one rule of amps is .......

Make sure the head and cabinets impedence match.

Example; 4 ohm head and a 4 ohm cabinet
I'm FAT!
Generally speaking yes you should match your cab to your amp. In this case 8 ohms. You might be able to get away with with playing on a 16 ohm cab at low volumes cleanly but I wouldn't risk it. Can you get us the specs on this cab and insert jack config on the back? There might be a work around.
Quote by tatatotfolife
Number one rule of amps is .......

Make sure the head and cabinets impedence match.

Example; 4 ohm head and a 4 ohm cabinet

They don't have to, but the cab impedance must always be equal or greater than that of the head. A 2ohm head through a 16ohm cab would be just fine though you'd loose a fair bit of power.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
It will work, but mismatched ohm values will wear out your tubes and OT over time.
ohms is just resistance. 16 ohm resists more current so less power goes to speakers. 2ohm would let more current through then the amp is designed to handle and it will blow. but higher ohm values wont harm anything so don't worry.
Um, by my cab's input jack specs do you want to know if it's stereo or mono? because it's mono. The cab says Peavey 5150 on the back but it doesn't tell me the watts or the ohms, the guy who sold it to me did and he seemed very knowledgeable.

I don't have tubes and I'm not sure what an OT is. It's solid state.

thanks guys! I was really worried that it would shorten the lifespan of my head!
I've heard both ways when it comes to 'safe' mismatches. Most people say that you can go a step up in impedance on the cabinet with tube amps...i.e. running a 16 ohm cabinet with an 8ohm head like you're talking about. I've heard some people say that this will shorten the lifespan of your amps OT (output transformer)...but then some people say thats BS and that a 'safe' mismatch is just that...SAFE. Since your amp is SS...I think you should be fine regardless.

But if the cabinet is lower impedance than the head...i.e. running a 4ohm cabinet with an 8ohm head, this will definitely damage your amp. I think most people agree on this.
Quote by eyebanez333
But if the cabinet is lower impedance than the head...i.e. running a 4ohm cabinet with an 8ohm head, this will definitely damage your amp. I think most people agree on this.

this. never have a lower impedance cab than head. period.

otherwise...

mismatches will add a little w&t, but it's minimal... not like your ot or tubes (if that were the case) are gonna blow after a week or anything like that. performance wise, expect a healthy chomp taken out of both your volume and tone, less than you would with a tube amp, but even so it'll affect the efficiency of your head.