Page 1 of 2
I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard but want to upgrade to a Gibson. However I don't know which the best kind is. I was looking at the Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom but those are hard to come by. Jimmy Page is my favourite guitarist and I think he has a 1959 Les Paul, but those are even harder to come by. So which is currently the best Les Paul on the market?
Thanks
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Les Paul BFG

my personal favorite. kind of hard to come by. it's the only les paul i've owned, and the one that taught me les pauls aren't really for me but it was a beautiful guitar anyway. the looks aren't everybody's favorite, but it's (in my opinion) the most versatile production les paul out there.

anyway, what's your price range? if you're really looking at the Jimmy Page model then your budget is $6000, and thats a whole lot of guitar! so just curious what the price range might be.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
The best Les Pauls are only Gibson if you have $3000+.

Since you probably don't, try Agile, Edwards, Tokai, etc.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
mine. 2004 Les Paul Standard. the last great year.

also why even bother looking at '59s? those bad boys run for like $350 000
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
Les Paul BFG

my personal favorite. kind of hard to come by. it's the only les paul i've owned, and the one that taught me les pauls aren't really for me but it was a beautiful guitar anyway. the looks aren't everybody's favorite, but it's (in my opinion) the most versatile production les paul out there.

The BFG is also my favorite. They have a Gary Moore BFG now
This one.

For srs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Best one imo is either the R9 or R0.

Well, outside of the custom signature vintage models like the Gibbons, Bloomfield or Page.
Everyone knows the best Les Paul is an SG =P
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
the best les pauls ive ever played were all classics

but the voodoos were cool as hell, i always wanted one

2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
also why even bother looking at '59s? those bad boys run for like $350 000

Seriously. You could pay your way through a nice Ivy League school for the cost of one of those.

Anyway, TS, there's no "best" guitar. You want a Les Paul, alright. What are your preferences? Slim neck, thick neck? Hot pickups, warm pickups? Woods? Finishes? Etc., etc. And most importantly, how much do you want to spend on this?
I love my Gibson FMT Cherry Sunburst Standard and Studio, but the best Les Paul IMHO is the black three-pickup Gibson Les Paul Custom. Everything about it just seems legendary. Some day I'll break down and buy one.
there is no way to define the "best" which is the reason why so many versions exist.

Of course, the original '58-'60 sunbursts are said to be the best out there (although i really don't see why people ignore the '53-'57 les pauls...) but i know you can't afford one.

to prove my point that there is no "best" les pauls. I have a les paul vintage mahogany.. well, that's what they called it at the time it was made, but now the specs for the studio faded are identical to what the VM was. You'll probably read so much on these forums about how you shouldn't bother getting a les paul studio because "they suck and have bad quality control and epiphone are better", but i tried one hell of a lot of les pauls and there was one particular one that i kept going back to which just happened to be a vintage mahogany/studio faded/whatever you wanna call it. the cheapest carved top les paul they make. you just can't judge which is the "best" because they are all individual and unique and you're only going to find one individual guitar that you think is the best for you, whichever model it may be should be pretty much irrelevant as to whether you like it or not.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
High end Tokais are amazing. Shit all over Gibsons IMO. If it has to be a Gibson, I like the BFG, Classic, and also the 'Traditional', although you'll get more for your money elsewhere. Although I'm not a fan of PRS, a sc245 or 250 is also an amazing guitar.
If I was looking at spending some serious money, I'd undoubtedly get one custom built.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Here's my favourite Les Paul:

Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Two words. Black Beauty. But only if you have the cash to match it
Yes the REAL Black Beauty is streets ahead of any other LP I have played apart from the '61 Custom which may not count with its SG body. The Real BB is all Mahogany (no cap) has a P90 at the bridge and a 'Staple' pickup at the neck, which is like a P90 but with an Alnico V magnet. That produces the best LP tones you will ever hear. Combine all that with the 'Fretless Wonder' frets and you have the guitar Les Paul played for many years.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

There is no best Lea Paul model in my opinion. I have played some top of the line LPs that were not as good as some of the regular release Standards, customs and even some studios. If you get a custom shop one you can't even bet that will be the best I tried one just yesterday I thought was horrible. The difference in most Les Pauls is a matter of just some different trim and maybe a set of pick ups they are all made pretty much the same. I play dozens of guitars every week and I have played some faded LP studios that felt and played better than a LP custom etc. You need to go out and play as many as you can and compare them you might luck out and find a less expensive one that out shines a more expensive one. Don't rule out used LPs you can find some nice ones really cheap these days. The only thing I dislike about some Les Pauls are the ones with the heavy/thick necks they feel like a baseball bat as soon as I see those necks I pass. Some people will argue that a $5000.00 Les Paul is better just because it cost more but nothing can be more wrong Gibson has gems in all there modes just like the have lemons. I have played some some Epis and other Les Paul copies I prefer over some Gibsons.

The best Les Paul is the one you find you like it all a matter of personal preference!

John
Quote by johnro6659
The best Les Paul is the one you find you like it all a matter of personal preference!John

This is the best advice here. If you are after a Gibson Les Paul, be prepared to pay anywhere from 1-4K and play a bunch of different ones till you find one that suits you.
Moving on.....
The Gibson les paul traditional is good.

if u go custom shop, the Les Paul Slash and the R8,R9,R0 are all nice.
I was just wondering what years were the best. People say some years were bad while others were good. I was looking at something like Gibson Custom 1958 Les Paul Standard Plain Top VOS or the 1959 reissue. I don't know whether they are considered to be good guitars in the Les Paul series. Because if I am willing to spend up to $5,000 on a guitar then I want to make sure I get the best kind. I don't really know to much about what kind of necks I like as I only have 1 Les Paul but this is just for information as for which ones to look at, I'm not going to go out and buy any before I try them.
ESP LTD EC-1000FR

So worth the grand it costs.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Splagl
I was just wondering what years were the best. People say some years were bad while others were good. I was looking at something like Gibson Custom 1958 Les Paul Standard Plain Top VOS or the 1959 reissue. I don't know whether they are considered to be good guitars in the Les Paul series. Because if I am willing to spend up to $5,000 on a guitar then I want to make sure I get the best kind. I don't really know to much about what kind of necks I like as I only have 1 Les Paul but this is just for information as for which ones to look at, I'm not going to go out and buy any before I try them.
I would look for a historics from the 90s or newer used R0 or R9 (from 2007 to present)
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by Splagl

Well I don't think you would go wrong with a vos custom shop guitar. 57-58-59 whatever. al is right the R9 and R0 from those years are said to be some of the best in recent years. \ many players prefer the 60's neck to the 50's found on the vos guitars we both listed. That's something to consider and investigate.

for that cash, you can have a custom shop LP made to your specs for pups, chambering or not, neck profile etc... it's also pretty common. good luck
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Well I don't think you would go wrong with a vos custom shop guitar. 57-58-59 whatever. al is right the R9 and R0 from those years are said to be some of the best in recent years. \ many players prefer the 60's neck to the 50's found on the vos guitars we both listed. That's something to consider and investigate.

for that cash, you can have a custom shop LP made to your specs for pups, chambering or not, neck profile etc... it's also pretty common.
good luck
i agree with this, there are some luthiers out there who can build a mean vintage les paul replica for the same price (maybe slightly higher) than a Gibson historic that is more accurate to the vintage guitars and better built. some even use the same old wood though it's rarer and rarer these days as there is just not any less and those who have access to it hoard it.

Still in recent years, Gibsons have gotten better in terms of quality and using the right stuff for making historics.
If you're looking at Custom Shop models then completely disregard and forget about any spec sheets or reviews you've read. They mean nothing when it comes to the Custom Shops. I've said it time and time again on here; I've played CS '60s models with thicker necks than '58 models, I've played CS Standard '58/'59/'60s models that have been heavier than the CS Customs, the specific CS VOS 1959 LP I own is the highest quality, most well-constructed guitar I've ever found while one of the CS LP Axcess guitars I've tried was by far the worst built guitar I've ever played. Every Custom Shop guitar varies so much and is held to only the loosest of specifications that there is no possible way you can tell, without playing them yourself, that [X] CS guitar is going to be better/worse than [Y] CS guitar. Absolutely do not worry about what year they're modelled after or what the name on them is - you just have to try them all for yourself until one fits you. You might find it after trying three guitars, you might have to try thirty before you find one that fits you. The important thing when spending this much money on a guitar is to make sure you buy the one that fits your hand, that is the weight you find ideal and that gives you the tone you've always wanted with the sort of construction quality that you know will last. Don't settle for second best in any regard and don't buy or not buy any guitar just because it has or hans't got the right year on the label or whatever.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've got my eyes on a Axcess lately.

I do have a black LP custom 2006 model and it is a great guitar I think. But it is true that it is better if you can try one out first, one guitar can be better than the other but happens with any guitar usually.
Quote by LK_revival
I've got my eyes on a Axcess lately.
Please dont' bother. I've played three of the Floyd Rose models and two of the Hardtail models and they were all awful. I know theoretically every Custom Shop guitar is a bit different so maybe there is a good Axcess out there somewhere, but I've gone through five now and they've been consistently unforgivably badly made. I'm talking sub-Squier quality here. If you really want an LP with a Floyd, look at ESP or Kramer. If you want a slimmer bodied Gibson LP, look at the LP Goddess. The Axcess is just so unforgivably bad, consistently.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Please dont' bother. I've played three of the Floyd Rose models and two of the Hardtail models and they were all awful. I know theoretically every Custom Shop guitar is a bit different so maybe there is a good Axcess out there somewhere, but I've gone through five now and they've been consistently unforgivably badly made. I'm talking sub-Squier quality here. If you really want an LP with a Floyd, look at ESP or Kramer. If you want a slimmer bodied Gibson LP, look at the LP Goddess. The Axcess is just so unforgivably bad, consistently.

A local GC has a couple, I plan on trying them out to see first hand what I think. Seeing them on youtube they *seem* decent but I'll have to see for myself.

What are some of the details why it is a badly made guitar? True that ESP could be a option, honestly I don't need any more guitars but the axcess is kind of a want item.
you could get a luthier or hell, even just contract someone with the right tools to build you something like this:

That is not a Gibson les paul, a guy (a hobbyist, no less) from another forum built it himself (on his second try!) and along with looking more like a real '59 than a historic, it probably sounds and plays more like one as well. I will probably be doing one of these myself after I graduate and have some time on my hands.
^Holy-

That's freaking amazing. 2nd try too? Holy...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I know, and I saw the thread where the guy did it, I looks like a lot of work, but something that one could do if you had access to the right tools and was willing to learn. I imagine building one myself would cost <$1500 if I had the right kind of access. Here was the thread where he documents the entire process.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/38166-ex-nihilos-2nd-lp-build.html

I am in love with that guitar though I would like a little more red on the edges. Still, the top is pretty much perfect, nice conservative flame top, with great mineral streaks throughout.

Here is another luthier built:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T202voj3ocs
Also does anyone know what VOS stands for? Most of the guitars I am looking at have Vos in the name and I really don't know what it is, and can't find things on google. Whenever I search for the definition of it it just lists vos guitars.
Thanks
Quote by LK_revival
What are some of the details why it is a badly made guitar? True that ESP could be a option, honestly I don't need any more guitars but the axcess is kind of a want item.
It's hard to give details on specific things which were bad because everything was bad. Uneven frets poorly installed, terrible Floyd routing so the bridge clipped the side of the body whenever it moved, poor inlay work, wonky binding, much less care taken over the finish, very obviously made with lower quality wood than most CS models, pots crackled and buzzed on all of them, jack was chronically loose on two of them, on the hardtails the bridge studs were loose, just every single thing about them was awful. It was very obvious that whoever was tasked with making the Axcesses clearly had no love for them.

Quote by Splagl
Also does anyone know what VOS stands for? Most of the guitars I am looking at have Vos in the name and I really don't know what it is, and can't find things on google. Whenever I search for the definition of it it just lists vos guitars.
Thanks
Vintage Original Spec.
vintage original spec, which is ironic because they are not really in spec.
Page 1 of 2