Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone. I just got my Marshall MG102FX amp from Musiciansfriend.com and it's great! The only problem is that it's kind of a Muddy amp. I Normally am a beast at pinch Harmonics and suchon my other practice amp, but it seems that it's very difficult on this amp. I use very high gain, somewhat mid-range bass(since it's already kinda muddy), 3/4 middle, and high treble.

Oh, and I found out that my ibanez output jack was soldered backwards (by myself, first time). I plan on fixing that tommorrow night but I can guarantee that's not it.

If anyone knows what might be the problem than please let me know. I have been playing for a little over a year now but trust me, I'm pretty sure I can keep up with the explanations. So I'm not noob-y or anything. I appreciate the help guys n' gals.

Thanks in advance.
The problem is that it's a Marshall MG. I have one (was my first amp) and pinch harmonics don't ring out because the amp lacks clarity and dynamics.

Return it while you still can and get something better. If you're wanting a practice amp, why did you get a 100w amp in the first place?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i can't help with metal tones but i got a sick classic rock tone with these settings:
gain: right before 5
bass: 6
middle:6.5
treble:6
contour:4
use the less gainy distortion channel. I was given an MG for christmas and could not return it so i made it work. it is possible I swear.
I would but it's a birthday present. Is there anything that will make this amp a little clearer. I mean after all. I am running it through a discontinues low end Ibanez rx-20 from 1996. Any suggestions other than a new amp.
Quote by loudog93
i can't help with metal tones but i got a sick classic rock tone with these settings:
gain: right before 5
bass: 6
middle:6.5
treble:6
contour:4
use the less gainy distortion channel. I was given an MG for christmas and could not return it so i made it work. it is possible I swear.

Ok. that helps much much more, but still. I like metal(and classic rock). So I am trying to figure out what to do here. Man this sucks. I still like the amp though.
Quote by ibanezboy1992
Ok. that helps much much more, but still. I like metal(and classic rock). So I am trying to figure out what to do here. Man this sucks. I still like the amp though.

This part doesn't make sense to me. The amp is simply not that good. I realize it was a gift, so I'm not really sure what to tell you.
Its a gift so your kinda stuck. People have been trying to figure out how to get decent tone from MGs for a while. Off seems to be the only decent setting.

Try explaining to the gift giver that 100w is to big for your use and you found a smaller amp for the same price, maybe they would be open to an exchange.
Yea I could do that. It's just that I never had an amp this good before and all that really sucks is the pinch harmonics. And in the whole 9 hours I've had it i grew kinda attached to it. Not to mention my mom went through hell to get it for me . I guess it's just one of those "im ****ed" situations. I'll just live with crappy harmonics for a few years until I move out. But thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it immensely.
Poor guy. It's tough telling someone their gift isn't good enough but I'd still try!
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
nah, i'll save up for my jackson rr3 and check to see if that helps. I realy do love the amp though.

A new guitar won't come anywhere close to solving your tone problem. If anything the new guitar will be a waste because the tone won't be much different.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
You're gonna have to bite the bullet buddy and tell your mum that unfortunately the amp is quite poor for the price and suggest something better. People return gifts all the time better to be honest and return the amp and get a better one that sit on it and brood about it all the while your mum remains none-the-wiser

You will both appreciate it in the long run tell her that it wasn't a good choice and go and choose another one together. She probably fell victim to the Spider/MG salesmen lies
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Dec 8, 2009,
yea sounds like the wiser idea...But..I just dont know. I'll have a look see and check out any other amps for $550 or a little higher. If any of you guys know of some quality amps around $550 let me know. I like 80's metal, modern hard rock, and speed metal. Some good suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
The Peavey 6505+ 112 combo is what I would get.

I am assuming used amps won't work in your situation but you get a lot of amp for $550 used. Your pinch harmonics will be back in business and you can thank us later.
it looks good and affordable. i might go for it, or i might not. I have 30 days to decide. But like I said im already pretty attached so I guess im just being a pain in the ass right now. Oh well, i'll see what my mom says, ill L.E.A.D. her into it and see her expression. Thanks for your help everyone, i'm definatley considering it. But if my mom gets pissed im blaming all you. hah jk. Thanks.
This is why i don't let people buy me guitar gear as a surprise present. When someone who goes to buy it without any knowledge, theres always something that leads them to the worst items in the store.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by ibanezboy1992
...It's just that I never had an amp this good before...

If an MG is the best amp you've ever had then I really feel for you man.

The smaller models (15 watters) make decent practice amps, but once you start getting into the larger models you essentially have an overpriced, over sized practice amp with pretty lousy tone. There are much better amps out there, even on the new market, for the same price as an MG.
Quote by ibanezboy1992
true dat. ill just make due for now

You have the opportunity to possibly get a better amp, but you wanna stick with what is possibly one of the worse amps available?

your right. I think I will just get the peavey. After all it was my birthday gift. I'm not gonna lie i'm pretty bummed right now cause I get emotional during seperation. but i will remember the marshall fondly. I just wish that I could get a new amp head or something, oh well. I'll check around a bit.
maybe find a cheaper amp to replace the MG with? might make it easier to tell your mom she didn't have to spend as much as she did.

at the very least, have her exchange it for a much lower wattage MG if you're into it. they're not bad as practice amps... but that's about it.

this thread was painful to read... good luck.
thanks...I think? I'ma just get the peavey 6505 combo. I read some reviews watched some vids and it looks perfect. The best part is that it's only $50 more.
I really hope you do, it might hurt to lose the MG (?) but youre gonna be sooo happy when that 6505 gets home!
Quote by ibanezboy1992
thanks...I think? I'ma just get the peavey 6505 combo. I read some reviews watched some vids and it looks perfect. The best part is that it's only $50 more.

This is a great idea. Its amazing the sound difference that those $50 will make
Quote by ibanezboy1992
i am terrified of conflict and don't want my mom to know that her gift was not as good as it could have been, even though she likely has no idea about tone and it is totally understandable that she would buy a sub-par amp. i am going to just keep this amp, even though i don't really like it because it will make my mom happy.

Seriously, get the 6505 combo.
Quote by imicius
Seriously, get the 6505 combo.

Agreed. About 20 times better than the MG, you'll be amazed.

Guitar gear should never be bought as a present unless you're present at the time or have tried it our first - tone is simply too subjective for someone else to pick for you.
Quote by mmolteratx

A new guitar won't come anywhere close to solving your tone problem. If anything the new guitar will be a waste because the tone won't be much different.
He may want the new guitar to simply enjoy having a better guitar, not necessarily to improve his tone and pinch harmonics.

If it is one of the new Marshall MG amps, I think you've got a decent amp. You could probably get something better (I know you can) but all cheap solid state amps will have the same problem; they don't really 'do' pinch harmonics.

Harmonics are about having an amp that will dynamically 'sing' the harmonic points on a guitar - will let them ring out. This can be achieved by a decent amount of gain, treble, middle, and compression - all of which can be found from a valve amp (or a quality solid state amp, such as a Line 6 Flextone III).

Because you don't have that and you cannot send it back or sell it, my advice is to make sure your technique is perfect, alter your EQ settings until you hear them clearer and maybe increase the gain (be careful doing that, though, because you could end up making it even worse).

edit: I've just read the Peavey 6505 suggestion. I haven't played the new 60 watt version yet, but I hear it sounds almost identical to it's more expensive bigger brother. If you are happy to do that to your mum, go for it.

If you feel like maybe she will be hurt by your actions, try and explain how you feel - but nicely, obviously.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by kyle62
Agreed. About 20 times better than the MG, you'll be amazed.

Guitar gear should never be bought as a present unless you're present at the time or have tried it our first - tone is simply too subjective for someone else to pick for you.

yet everyone here had no problem telling TS what his tone should sound like. just pointing out the irony thats all
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Quote by SoLgEr
yet everyone here had no problem telling TS what his tone should sound like. just pointing out the irony thats all

He came to a guitar forum to discuss his amp situation with people that play guitars through amps - hence Guitar Gear and Accessories.

vs

His mom picking out something for him at the store and having no idea what she is looking at.

I'm missing the irony.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
He came to a guitar forum to discuss his amp situation with people that play guitars through amps - hence Guitar Gear and Accessories.

vs

His mom picking out something for him at the store and having no idea what she is looking at.

I'm missing the irony.

Yeah me too
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by SoLgEr

He asked a question and we answered it; he asked why his pinch harmonics did not sound good, and we told him why.
Quote by TOMMYB22
This is why i don't let people buy me guitar gear as a surprise present. When someone who goes to buy it without any knowledge, theres always something that leads them to the worst items in the store.

That would be Mr Toothy salesman clasping his hands with glee whilst saying "excellent" in a Mr Burns voice as he beckons them accross to the brightly lit MG/Spider section of the store.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I wish I had a 6505.

I suppose my amp is still pretty badass. The distortion isn't great, though...

Anyways, Peavey>Marshall for mid-low end amps any day. Also, Check out Randall. Their tube amps are extremely high priced, but they make AMAZING SS amps.

Second thought, never mind...Just go with the 6505.
everyone here says tone is subjective, he was happy with his except for the pinch harmonics, everyone jumped on the mg bandwagon and kept suggesting new amps instead of eq settings for him.
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Quote by ibanezboy1992
Yea I could do that. It's just that I never had an amp this good before and all that really sucks is the pinch harmonics. And in the whole 9 hours I've had it i grew kinda attached to it. Not to mention my mom went through hell to get it for me . I guess it's just one of those "im ****ed" situations. I'll just live with crappy harmonics for a few years until I move out. But thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it immensely.

How could you go through hell to get a Marshall MG, seriously?

I hate this situation though I wanted to sell my Fuzz Factory.

In all honesty the MG is not a good amp. Yeah it's a lot better than some shitty 10 Watt solid state practice amps which might have been what you're using but it's going to sound awful compared towards any serious amp.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Dec 8, 2009,
I dunno about the 6505 actually. It's pretty cheap for a high gain tube amp but as a practice amp?

Best thing to do would be to get the Peavey Vypyr, IMO, either the 75 Watt non tube one or the 60 Watt tube one. I think that'd do him better, it won't sound quite as awesome as the 6505 but it'll be a lot more versatile and come with effects etc.
Quote by SoLgEr
everyone here says tone is subjective, he was happy with his except for the pinch harmonics, everyone jumped on the mg bandwagon and kept suggesting new amps instead of eq settings for him.

uumm...not really. That's not what I read out of this. A new guitar or different settings is not going to help. I've played the new MGs and the old ones. It is not a bandwagon if you firmly believe something and have opinions that there are better options for the money spent.

Quote by ibanezboy1992
Hey everyone. I just got my Marshall MG102FX amp from Musiciansfriend.com and it's great! The only problem is that it's kind of a Muddy amp. I Normally am a beast at pinch Harmonics and suchon my other practice amp, but it seems that it's very difficult on this amp. I use very high gain, somewhat mid-range bass(since it's already kinda muddy), 3/4 middle, and high treble.

Quote by ibanezboy1992
yea sounds like the wiser idea...But..I just dont know. I'll have a look see and check out any other amps for $550 or a little higher. If any of you guys know of some quality amps around $550 let me know. I like 80's metal, modern hard rock, and speed metal. Some good suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Quote by ibanezboy1992

---------------------------------------

+2 on the Vypyr 60
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
How could you go through hell to get a Marshall MG, seriously?

I hate this situation though I wanted to sell my Fuzz Factory.

In all honesty the MG is not a good amp. Yeah it's a lot better than some shitty 10 Watt solid state practice amps which might have been what you're using but it's going to sound awful compared towards any serious amp.

You see. That's exactly it. As a second year I have only played on 3-4 amps total. Only 2 being serious amps (Peavey, Marshall). I thank you all cause now I am almost certain to get the 6505 unless I cant return my MG(only second day). Now, can someone please explain the differerence between solid state, valve, and tube.

Thats getting me confused as well. Thanks
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The Peavey 6505+ 112 combo is what I would get.

I am assuming used amps won't work in your situation but you get a lot of amp for $550 used. Your pinch harmonics will be back in business and you can thank us later.

Damn. Is that really all those things are?

Those amps have always been good deals for the heads, but I didn't know the combos where that cheap.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Page 1 of 2