hey guys, iv been playing bass for almost 2 years now, but im having alittle problem still with keeping my fretting hand in a good position when i play. what i tend to do is play mostly with my pointer and ring finger and when i use my pointer finger i tend to curl my hand so my palm is pointed out and my finger is turned that was as well.

so what im asking is could u guys suggest a good exercises to help with that? also, my pinkies are crooked inwards, so something with alot of pinky would help alot.

thx alot
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
My suggestion is just do some classic chromatic exercises, as simple as 1-2-3-4 on E-A-D-G repeatedly. Start slowly and focus in on your hand position, making sure it's correct. As always, metronome, metronome, metronome. Don't blindly do it for no purpose, look at what's wrong with your hand and try and fix it during the exercise.
no, i dont have guitar pro =/ is it free? ill go get it if it is XD
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
Y'know, I'm not sure if it's free.
I know I've never paid for it though.

It's an excellent resource for any musician in my opinion. I used to think it was a bit pointless, and only really for folks who couldn't learn a song by ear, but the amount of features make it worthwhile.
There is a link to a file in the FAQ. If you don't have GP, download Tux Guitar which can read GP files.

Spider exercises are absolutely wonderful for what your aiming for. Also--there is a Bass Fitness Book by Josquin des Pres that has some excellent exercises to improve your fretting hand.
What are the spider exersises? I hear about them all the time but have no idea what they are.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
My suggestion is just do some classic chromatic exercises, as simple as 1-2-3-4 on E-A-D-G repeatedly. Start slowly and focus in on your hand position, making sure it's correct. As always, metronome, metronome, metronome. Don't blindly do it for no purpose, look at what's wrong with your hand and try and fix it during the exercise.

Im gonna get ultra ultra ultra picky and say that really, classical exercises do not exist for electric bass. They really arent written for electric (since electric basses really have only been around 50ish years) There classical upright bass books, but upright bass uses three finger technique (3rd and 4th finger act as one finger). So 4 finger classical bass exercises dont exist

Now that Im done nitpicking, get a simandl book for bass. Also, try getting your hands on an Arban book, preferable the trombone one or the tuba one.

They are both books that are 300 pages literally of scale exercises and etudes written with technique in mind. The simandl is the bass players bible, and the Arban book is the brass players bible. I do stuff from each book on both bass and tuba.

Each book will run you $60 or so. But they are the absolute technique building books for our instruments. Youll find these books on the shelves of every successful classical musician in the world. Theyre hundreds of years old and people still use them for a reason. They make you better
My hand exercise what i personally prefer to use to warm my hand up when i'm playing guitar or bass is playing an open E then hammering on the 12th octave and then the 14th fret, do this on E-A-D-G-B-E or how ever many strings you want to. It really warms me up before i start to play.
I may not have a brain, gentlemen, but I have an idea...
Get one of those hand crunch gizmo's.

A few minutes a day and your hulkish hands will be obvious.
Quote by COBHC1
I lol'd

First lol row
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
They will be twin boys named God and Satan and I will make them fight each other.

http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/index.shtml
Quote by sg255
If I cross the street to get away from them, then it's a latino.
^warning you've hit my personal pet peeve so don't take this as a personal attack ok? But DO NOT USE THE HAND CRUNCH GIZMOS!!!. While they promise fingers of steel you are more likely to get a RSI injury than stronger fingers and hands. And wrist or hand surgery to correct that damage is not fun boys and girls.