ok so over the summer i was in the market for a hollowbody and i decided on a custom shop 335. at the time i bought it i loved it, the neck was the best one i ever played and i've played and own(d) some other high end gibsons, i also loved the sound i was getting from it when i played it in the store on the same amp that i have at home so i knew exactly what it was gonna sound like.

but like most people when i was there i came down with riff amnesia and just did some blues licks on the bridge pickup and decided i liked it enough to buy.

but since then i've been playing it more and its not quite for me, the neck pick up i found to be very muddy and when i try adjusting the volume and tone and everything else to try and adjust it, it just becomes more muddy. it also doesnt quite have the versatility that i was hoping for that i was used to with my les paul, the pickups were hotter than i was used to which was great for the punk type tunes i like to play, but if i wanted to turn around and play something like clapton or a less intense type of song it was almost impossible, and i was really hoping to have that type of versatility.

so thats where you guys come in, when i bought it, the owner at the shop i bought it from told me if i was unhappy to bring it back and he'd take it on a trade of something of equal value 1:1 so i'm kinda starting to wonder if i should take him up on that offer. what would you do? if i do trade it i'd like to get another les paul, i've been more than pleased with my R7 that i got a couple years back and was thinking i'd like to maybe get an R8 or something with a burst finish, or a R6 because i'd like the P90's. but i dont want to have a bunch of the same guitar because i feel like thats kind of like beating a dead horse just continuously buying the same thing over and over.

what would you do, and maybe some suggestions on guitars to maybe trade it for

edit: i also like the slash and i think it was warren haynes sig les pauls because they have the piezo in the bridge and i've heard clips on youtube and gibson.com of their clean and dirty sounds and really fell in love.
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Last edited by SoLgEr at Dec 7, 2009,
sorry, but im glad im not the only one with this "riff amnesia"...it sucks....

if u love the feel of the guitar that much, have u thought about just replacing the pickups? most stock pickups, even on the most high end guitars, just aren't anything wonderful.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
sorry, but im glad im not the only one with this "riff amnesia"...it sucks....

if u love the feel of the guitar that much, have u thought about just replacing the pickups? most stock pickups, even on the most high end guitars, just aren't anything wonderful.

i did but i didn't want to like devalue the guitar, like i said if they were offering to take it back i wanted to keep it original in case i walked in there and found something i just fell in love with
Quote by gatechballer
change the pick ups, and if you wanna sell it just swap the old ones back in
well then any suggestions on versatile pickups? i want something hot for the bridge that wont get muddy, but i want something that can get relatively clean and chimey in the neck (i am using a marshall after all). if it helps i play classic rock, all types of classic but a guns n' roses sound (older stuff) is what i'd really like
Quote by gatechballer
i would go with a custom custom in the bridge, and 59, pearly gates or alinco II pro in the neck. a JB may be too bright in a semi-hollow (its all about preference, but i find it too bright in my les paul...). none of those pickups should mud up on u.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
i would go with a custom custom in the bridge, and 59, pearly gates or alinco II pro in the neck. a JB may be too bright in a semi-hollow (its all about preference, but i find it too bright in my les paul...). none of those pickups should mud up on u.

that brings up another thing, feedback. i have a hard enough time trying to control it now and i dont want something that is gonna feedback like crazy to the point where i like cant even play it
Quote by gatechballer
all those pickups are considered medium to medium/hot output and shouldnt give u too much feedback... BUT, i have never played a semi-hollow, so someone else may want to take it from here.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30