i have a great singing voice...my friends agree
even though I'm 15 my voice hardly (if ever) cracks
and i can't see how a lot of guys my age can sing the higher notes
when i can't
i have a tenor/bass sorta voice...i wish i could hit the high notes
I'm trying to sing Fireflies by Owl City for an acoustic cover but my voice cannot hit the high notes no matter the exercises or the way i change my voice

any tips?
Gear:
Dean Flying V
Franciscan Model A ClassicalGuitar
Ibanez Acoustic
Dean Acoustic Bass EABG
Mitchell Mu-70 Ukulele
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Korg Kaossilator
Yamaha Keyboard
Boss Metal Core
Fishman RareEarth Humbucker
even when i do...but all the songs in my range have something out of my range...and trying to change the note just doesn't sound good
Gear:
Dean Flying V
Franciscan Model A ClassicalGuitar
Ibanez Acoustic
Dean Acoustic Bass EABG
Mitchell Mu-70 Ukulele
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Korg Kaossilator
Yamaha Keyboard
Boss Metal Core
Fishman RareEarth Humbucker
Have you tried transposing the song into a different key? Play it in standard tuning, no capo, as opposed to capo on the 3rd fret. That might help with that song.

If you have a piano or keyboard available, you could do exercises to increase your range. Arpeggiate a major triad (C E G C G E C, for example) using the tones 1 3 5 8 5 3 1 so you're going up an octave and then down again. move up a half step after each one until it starts to get hard to do. Once you've found that spot, work on notes just slightly below it, sometimes pushing yourself a little bit to hit the high notes. Don't over strain yourself though as it could damage your vocal cords.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Man, I used to have the same problem as you. Growing up, my normal talking voice was kinda high compared to other kids voices. I was so disheartened and didn't understand why I couldn't hit the notes I wanted to.

The only way you will be able to hit those highs is by practicing every day! Your voice is ever changing, and it will grow and so will your range with time and practice... a big part of it is getting the lung capacity and the diaphragm strength to push out those highs.

For example the song Man in the Box or Would by Alice In Chains. When I was 17 I first tried singing those songs... and it didnt come out well at all, I'm 19 now and those highs are now a piece of cake for me, granted as far as other songs/ bands go, there are some highs that I just cant hit yet...

that owl city song isnt too hard, just practice man, try it in a lower key, and once you have it solid, move up a key, and so on and so fourth.

What really helped/helps me is recording yourself... and as you keep practicing you can hear the difference. Mind you it Isnt an immediate process by any means, you just need to stick to it and put your whole heart into your vocals and you will notice subtle improvements/changes. the shape of your mouth/how far you open your mouth when you sing has ALOT to do with it.
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 12, 2009,
There is a way to transition from your modal voice to falsetto.
Here's an example.........it's a cover of Collective Soul's "Run". The vocals are at the very upper edge of my modal voice and there are a few places where I transition into falsetto to hit the higher notes.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1236792
Last edited by Afterhours at Dec 12, 2009,
Quote by dylman06
i have a great singing voice...

First, consider yourself lucky that people are cutting you some slack. Often times when people make assertions like this, they get called on to back it up. It rarely goes well.

Quote by dylman06

my friends agree

If people were to call you on it, the only thing that would fly would be a recording. Your alleged friends' approval is not much better than saying "my mom thinks I have a great singing voice."

Quote by dylman06

even though I'm 15 my voice hardly (if ever) cracks
and i can't see how a lot of guys my age can sing the higher notes
when i can't

Some guys have brown eyes. Some have straight hair. Some have higher voices. Not better... just different. Don't sweat it. Get in tune with what your voice does well and what it doesn't and you'll be on your way to being that great singer you want to be.

Quote by dylman06

i have a tenor/bass sorta voice...

That's kinda like saying "I have blond-ish/black hair." A tenor is a male with a high voice. Think Bruce Dickenson from Iron Maiden. A bass is a male with a low voice. Think Bowser from Sha-na-na, or that dude from the Oak Ridge Boys. The dude in the white suit at 1:15, 1:45, etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdFghZmdwXk

Most of us are baritones. Like the porridge.... "this one was juuuuust right."

Quote by dylman06

i wish i could hit the high notes

Okay. Scratch tenor then.

Quote by dylman06

I'm trying to sing Fireflies by Owl City for an acoustic cover but my voice cannot hit the high notes

A quick run-through the song says that the highest vocal note is a Bb. A tenor should be able to hit the C a tone above that. A lyric baritone should be able to get that note, though, in that context. It goes up to it, basically just kisses the note, and then falls off and comes back down. It's not like you have to hold it for eight beats or anything, go down to the A, and then go back up to it for another four beats.

Quote by dylman06

even when i do...but all the songs in my range have something out of my range...and trying to change the note just doesn't sound good

Given that most pop songs use an octave to an octave and a half, this statement suggests that you have a hard time singing within that limited range. Again, careful about the assertions of greatness.

Otherwise, you've been given some good advice in this thread. It comes down to learning how to produce the voice (which NOT knowing how is the number one limiting factor in having a limited range), and practicing. Finding a teacher is *always* a good idea.

I DO have to disagree with this, though....

Quote by LPstudioWRz28
the shape of your mouth/how far you open your mouth when you sing has ALOT to do with it.

It's more about opening the throat, NOT the mouth. All explained here:
http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=34

Afterhours - nice cover!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.