I have a Xaviere semi-hollow telecaster with P90 soapbar pickups and a little Epi studio amp, with no effects. I'm really struggling on getting a David Gilmour tone out of this because, and I shit you not, I could get a closer tone with my friend's crappy squier strat that had a humbucker in the bridge position, with an amp that doesn't have EQ and instead has stupid positions instead, named retarded things. It was all part of a cheap guitar pack that he bought at some random place for less than a Squier with balls. So yeah. Any help you can give, like EQ, general tips about things like how much distortion will ruin it or anything would help.
Mate, from experience it is almost impossible to get a fender-like single coil tone from a P90 style single coil, so I'm not surprised the Squier is closer.
Quote by AlexAngus
Mate, from experience it is almost impossible to get a fender-like single coil tone from a P90 style single coil, so I'm not surprised the Squier is closer.

the squier has a humbucker so it shouldnt sound more gilmourish

but tbh

with a shitty amp your going to get a shitty sound
youl never get a good gilmour sound with an epiphone studio amp
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Depends on the era
but generally it's just like tube overdrive (tons of sag/saturation), delay, compression, reverb, sometimes chorus
David Glimour has a collection of guitars and amplifiers that would turn any gearhead green with envy, which makes nailing his tone a difficult and expensive proposition. And on some songs on The Wall, I know he went directly into the board. You'd have to narrow it down to which tones you are looking for. There are signature versions of his customized Fender Black Strat and his Hiwatt Custom 100 amplifier out there, but they are both very expensive. Still, they would be the best place to start for most of his tones. He also has signature strings - one set for his Strats and a different set for his Les Pauls.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by steve!
the squier has a humbucker so it shouldnt sound more gilmourish

but tbh

with a shitty amp your going to get a shitty sound
youl never get a good gilmour sound with an epiphone studio amp

The Squier will have a single coil in the neck which it what you'd be using do get a Gilmour lead tone. Nonetheless I agree with you on the amp.
Remember that Gilmour uses Fender amps for smaller venues. Buying his 100watt HIWATT is overkill. It has a high headroom for a clean tone and Gilmour get's his distortion from stompbox's. A nice Fender amp will work wonders, such as the Hot Rod Series Blues Jr. NOS 15watt

I saw a show last year done by Classic Albums Live and they played Dark Side of the Moon from start to finish. 2 guitarists on one stage, one had a Peavey Classic 30 and the other had 2 Blues Jr's, both were mic'ed up of course and their tone was awesome. I checked out their stompbox's after the show and it wasn't what you'd expect, I can't recall the exact names but I know one was a DOD. Gilmourish.com is a great site, just remember your fingers and pick attack are different then his, so your gear has to be different also. If you walked on stage with Gilmour, or EVH or Page and picked up their guitar and played through their gear you wouldn't sound like them, you'd sound like you. Get it?
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by AlexAngus
The Squier will have a single coil in the neck which it what you'd be using do get a Gilmour lead tone. Nonetheless I agree with you on the amp.

Except for. You know, the fact that Gilmour used a P90 equipped Goldtop to record some of his classic solos.

As for you, I think your problem is the amp.
If the amp sucks you're not gonna have good tone, simple as.
I agree with all the above, especially the amp problem. But being realistic you start with what you have. Swapping the P90s out for Irongear Platrinum 90s will do a huge lot for your tone anyway. Next would be to go for the right amp. Beware Hiwatt SS amps but their HiGain 50w combo looks interesting. Worth a try out for a £600 amp. A good delay pedal will be your best friend, too.
Listening to the sounds, I think you can tell easily which setup he used. Take Shine On. The first parts are pure Strat but later the thicker sounds of the LP show through. And a listen to Animals recently convinced me that a lot of the guitar work was done by Roger Waters.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
I agree with all the above, especially the amp problem. But being realistic you start with what you have. Swapping the P90s out for Irongear Platrinum 90s will do a huge lot for your tone anyway. Next would be to go for the right amp. Beware Hiwatt SS amps but their HiGain 50w combo looks interesting. Worth a try out for a £600 amp. A good delay pedal will be your best friend, too.
Listening to the sounds, I think you can tell easily which setup he used. Take Shine On. The first parts are pure Strat but later the thicker sounds of the LP show through. And a listen to Animals recently convinced me that a lot of the guitar work was done by Roger Waters.

Actually.
It won't help TS at all. Any change will be mainly placebo.
He has a shitty amp, that needs to be changed before anything else.
Then he needs to get a tube overdrive-ish pedal.
Sneak up behind him, slice off his hands and sew them to your own wrists. Getting his brain will be the hard part, you're pretty much on your own for that one.