I dont really understand harmonic and melodic minor‎.I've been told that thay are used for classical and shredding type metal. Whats the differences between them and how could i use them while playing. Can i use them for other types metal like black and death or are they only good for classical.
Harmonic minor is a natural minor with a raised 7th, melodic is with a raised 6th and 7th.

The idea of the raised 7th was to create a leading tone and to make the dominant chord into a major, the idea of the raised 6th is to prevent the augmented 2nd leap between the 6th and raised 7th.
Last edited by pwrmax at Dec 7, 2009,
^+ 1
Also, harmonic minor is used a lot in metal. Melodic minor, not so much. They way I've been taught is that there is two ways to play melodic minor. The Classical Theory way is Melodic Minor ascending, with the flatted 3rd and the natural 6th and 7th, and then harmonic minor on the way down, so you raise the 6th.
The Jazz theory way to play melodic minor is as a normal scale, although then you can get into the modes of melodic minor.
Yes as people have said before...

Here I have some examples all in C.

Major (Ionian):
Plain Major. The same up and down.
C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C

Natural Minor (Aeolian):
A Major scale with flattened third, sixth, and seventh. The same up and down
C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb, C

Harmonic Minor:
Natural minor with a raised seventh (making a semitone between it and the next note), is also the same up and down
C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, B, C

Melodic Minor:
Natural minor with raised six and seventh (or major with a flattened third) going up, then going down is natural minor.
C, D, Eb, F, G, A, B, C, Bb, Ab, G, F, Eb, D

You can play the modes for each, although I'd say get used to these scales before you go into that.
Last edited by mdwallin at Dec 8, 2009,
you can use any scale for any genre as long as it fits the harmonic base you're playing over

minor scale = 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
harmonic = 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
melodic = 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7

i don't like the harmonic minor, the melodic minor is the scale you want to be using over m/M chords.