It's missing a chunk basically, so I wouldn't call it a "chip"
Anyway how would you go about fixing this
If I needed to have a professional look at this how much do you think it'd cost?
Attachments:
chip guitar.jpg
Last edited by Mr Lordi at Dec 7, 2009,
there's no easy way to do this without refinishing or looking horrible afaik, sorry.

what I would do:

come to terms with the fact that you will be refinishing it

Cut into the wing just a little farther up with a jig saw, like a couple inches. Then glue a triangle of wood in its place, let dry.

carve the bevels and final shape into the wood so it blends with the rest of the guitar.

Strip down the body or just rough it up a little, re-prime and paint it. Clear coat.

Never drop it again!
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
I'd leave it like that. Battlescars ftw
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
I'm with leaving it..

but if you're set on fixing it, you could do the chop it off and glue a new triangle method, mentioned above, or just re-shape the horn so it's a centimeter or so shorter.

either way would require a re-finish, though. maybe more work than you hoped :/
a professional fix would probably be pretty expensive, too, since it would require re-finishing, which is costly on its own..
Bondo will do that trick. Take a matchbook cover or cardboard and make the V shape...Tape it on both sides good. Mix a little Bondo on the hard side(darker in color) and let it settle inside the pocket....Let dry about 20 minutes and start shaping it back up with sand paper.
Quote by Guit-FiddleMan
Bondo will do that trick. Take a matchbook cover or cardboard and make the V shape...Tape it on both sides good. Mix a little Bondo on the hard side(darker in color) and let it settle inside the pocket....Let dry about 20 minutes and start shaping it back up with sand paper.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing. In my opinion this is the best and safest option other than just leaving it alone.
you could use the 'chip' to actually redesign the guitar, which is what I would do. It would be quite subtle, but would change the look a bit.
Basically, just give it a huge bevel from the wing tip to about five inches or so into the wing, if that makes since. So the wing wouldn't just be bevel from the sides to the center, but from the tip to the body.
Once that's done, you could refinish the whole guitar (which is what you'd have to do to make the finish of uniform colour and texture).