Looking to develop it into a kinda One/Fade to black
Any help appreciated
P.s i suck at writing solo's but would like a metallica(y) one if possible
Any help would be good
PLEASE AND THANKYOU
Attachments:
C-O-K like.gp5
Quote by Kirborg
awesome! I think it's great! I made some small modifications to it but it is loads better then what I previously had haha

Haha, glad I could help, you planning on recording it? It's got great potential.

I only just noticed this thread, but I really like it, great idea TS
🙈 🙉 🙊
Also if someone could have a go at writing a lead guitar part or maybe mess with the intro a bit for this I'd appreciate it. Also feel free to delete the synthy part near the end, I got a bit carried away.
Attachments:
jam idea.gp5
Quote by SOADisdabest
Also if someone could have a go at writing a lead guitar part or maybe mess with the intro a bit for this I'd appreciate it. Also feel free to delete the synthy part near the end, I got a bit carried away.
haha that thing is crazy. No need for a lead part though at this stage.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
ima ask for help again
Anyone got any ideas for how to move this song alon because i cant get it to go anywhere
Looking to develop it into a Call of Ktulu/ Orion
Attachments:
C-O-K like 2.gp5
Quote by Lacunallica
ima ask for help again
Anyone got any ideas for how to move this song alon because i cant get it to go anywhere
Looking to develop it into a Call of Ktulu/ Orion
I guess it's not what you were going at, but you could end that intro was 1 bar of B and then go into some heavy riff.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
just 1 bar of the B chord. Or 4 8ths of B and then 4 8ths of A or something and then a heavy riff. just what comes to mind.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Quote by Lacunallica
oh right
You know what scales Hammett uses ??
write your own stuff, dude, because that's what you want to do.

anyway, if you want to sound like hammet, I have some signature licks of him flying around somewhere.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Quote by Lacunallica
i try to write my own stuff but it all sounds a bit bleugh

Eminor Pentatonic, mainly. Usually Minor Pentatonics of some-sort anyway.
Quote by SOADisdabest

ATD-I's Enfilade?
It has a lot of similarities in structure, rhythm, timbre. I wouldn't really call it derivative though.

As for solo, I don't really see where it would. Maybe if the song was longer, and there was a more standard progression. I could simply base it off the bass line.
Hell, I might just do that.
I'll be back to see what I can do for you sir.

Check out my craptacular song and tell me which direction you think I should take with that.
Quote by huevos
ATD-I's Enfilade?
It has a lot of similarities in structure, rhythm, timbre. I wouldn't really call it derivative though.

As for solo, I don't really see where it would. Maybe if the song was longer, and there was a more standard progression. I could simply base it off the bass line.

Check out my craptacular song and tell me which direction you think I should take with that.
did you meant to attach something to your post?
And @ that song, you could start a solo right were it ends at the moment. It could also be one of those songs that have just 1 endless chord progression.
Ideally, you should ask jazzdeath to take a poke at that, his style is more sutiable fr that, I guess
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Quote by ohnoitishorribl
I need help on where to go with the solo, also a lot of the drums could use a little help =\

Thanks,
John

Here is slight change for you. I didn't mess with any of the melodies, but some of the rhythms have changed. I also felt it more suitable to use 6/8 at the beginning and 3/4 at bar 17/18. I may not be right in doing that, but I prefer the difference in pulse.

Thorbor-I meant the song that I've already posted, untitled_futile_melodies.
Attachments:
Riff Ideas.gp4
Quote by huevos
ATD-I's Enfilade?

Awesome, thanks for that huevos. Also the song isn't finished yet, I was intending to extend the end part to cater for a lead and then take it from there. I didn't have Enfilade in mind when I made it but Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is pretty much my hero, so it's possible. Checking yours out in a bit.

EDIT: Thanks Thorbor, just noticed your post now I'll ask him next time I get the chance.
Last edited by SOADisdabest at Feb 21, 2010,
Just checked out your song Huevos, there's some pretty good ideas (I really liked the part starting at bar 45, very TMV-esque) but I think a lot of them would work better as their own songs (the troo part comes to mind, I just found it seemed a bit out of place to me). At the moment my advice would be to look at each section and consider what they could be like as individual songs, I've found that when I try and put too many ideas in a song I'll end up with ideas I like but I always end up dissatisfied with it just because it leaves a lot less room to develop the idea. I'm not sure though, this is just how I see it. There's definitely a lot in there worth keeping though.

I added drums to the part at bar 45, not sure if you were looking for drums but I figured I might as well give it a shot. I think my drums tend to be quite hit or miss so feel free to decline.

EDIT: With optional Latin percussion.
EDIT2: Woops, almost forgot, thanks for the solo, it was pretty exactly what I was looking for just making a few adjustments. I take it you've been studying Omar Rodriguez-Lopez' style? Also, sorry to be a **** but would you be able to give me brief run down of how you went about writing that solo? I've been trying to write solos for a while now but it's just never been my strongest point. Once I can find the notes I'm usually alright, but I haven't been at school for about a year and my theory is lacking massively.
Attachments:
untitled_futile_melodies-1.gp5
untitled_futile_melodies-1(+).gp5
Last edited by SOADisdabest at Feb 21, 2010,
I do feel that my song has too many things going on at once, and I think I will recreate this song, using that 32 bar section at measure 45 as a chorus of sorts.
I wanted to go with a maudlin of The well style, but I got sidetracked and made it very excessive.

I didn't really wanna see drums in it to begin with, but a more toned down latin groove might work. It doesn't really matter, as I don't think I'll try to record this song.

Idk why, but his [Omar's] soloing style is very expressive. Even with a lack of theory (or because of it), it's more than amazing to listen to the sounds he creates.
When I create solos, I generally play along and/or imagine the solo that I wanna hear. Stick to some key notes, ie chord tones, and invert them. The single most important advice I've gotten from UG is to make the melody fit the changes (chord progression), not the other way around. Try to make the solo fit rhythmically as well.
It doesn't have to fit verbatim, so to speak, just as long as it syncs up in sections that you want heavily accented.

For some reason, I generally go with a post-hardcore/blues crossbreed for soloing. And the styles of Paul Masvidal as well, though I'm still learning how to compose jazz/fusion songs.
Quote by huevos
Here is slight change for you. I didn't mess with any of the melodies, but some of the rhythms have changed. I also felt it more suitable to use 6/8 at the beginning and 3/4 at bar 17/18. I may not be right in doing that, but I prefer the difference in pulse.

Thanks for messing with it for me, but i really didn't like how it sounds with the changed rhythms, thanks anyway though =]

I'm mostly looking for someone to help me with the solo so i can get past it because I'm stuck there.
6 string bass =]
Quote by ohnoitishorribl
Thanks for messing with it for me, but i really didn't like how it sounds with the changed rhythms, thanks anyway though =]

I'm mostly looking for someone to help me with the solo so i can get past it because I'm stuck there.

I'll have a solo for you shortly boy!

I just want a quick comment on this and whether I should finish it.

EDIT: There you have it.
Attachments:
The_Uninitiate.gp4
Riff Ideas.gp5
Last edited by huevos at Feb 23, 2010,
Quote by Zeroxk
The time sigs sound artificial too me, also can't get the bend to sound like I play it. Tips on how to solve?

I made some slight changes.
About the bend: we don't know how you want to play it, just mess around with the line in the bend window.
Attachments:
Sang #157.gp5
Quote by atira
I made some slight changes.
About the bend: we don't know how you want to play it, just mess around with the line in the bend window.

Hmmm it would've been nice to have it in 4/4 + 2/4, haven't really worked with time sigs, how should I do the drums?
Well I don't know what you would like to do, I just felt that the 5/8 was not fitting there. It's your song
Before doing the drums you should finalize the time sig and the basic riff.
oh, well.. this might be a harder one for you guys.
i can't find any good transition for bar 24 - 25.
it goes from a clean-riff to a distorted one.

another, but minor, issue would be the solo starting at bar 92.
it sucks. d;
if anyone has an idea, feel free to speak up.

thanks, guys!
Attachments:
6.gp5
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Holy shit nemesis, that was depressing.
Mission accomplished!
Quote by atira
Well I don't know what you would like to do, I just felt that the 5/8 was not fitting there. It's your song
Before doing the drums you should finalize the time sig and the basic riff.

but for most people it's easier to build up on drums..
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Mission accomplished!
Quote by Nemesis@Germany
but for most people it's easier to build up on drums..

Might be but if he doesn't even know what time sigs he wants to use it's hard to give an advice.
Quote by Zeroxk
The time sigs sound artificial too me, also can't get the bend to sound like I play it. Tips on how to solve?

i gave it a try. made some changes, but i tried to keep the riffs as how they were in original.
there, like it or die.
Attachments:
Sang #157.gp5
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Mission accomplished!
Quote by Nemesis@Germany
i gave it a try. made some changes, but i tried to keep the riffs as how they were in original.
there, like it or die.
that thing is just awesome up until bar 17.

seriously, I really gid it. don't mess it up. I just love the drum work in there in the simplicity.

oh, and the last 4 bars sound like some generic metalcore clichee, better stay with teh intro and make something bluesy out of it.
Quote by SOADisdabest
Anybody want to have a try at writing a bass line for bar 20ish? It's intended for RSE but I think it's alright in MIDI.

the transition to the distorted part isn't working at all. you have to get another 2 bars of the clean lead going until you can change it. it's hard to write a good transition there though
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Last edited by thorbor at Mar 1, 2010,
Quote by dave69
Loking 4 Basic Cords For 6 String Can Any One Help

http://activephilosophy.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/basic-chords.jpg

Like these?

Just google 'guitar chords' or something similar, you're bound to find some useful information that way.

EDIT:

You only have to capitalise the first word in a sentence by the way.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Mar 2, 2010,
Alright I got two songs here which I currently consider "finalised blueprints"; If you guys check it out I'd like some feedback on song structure, transitions, and for A Tension to Details I can't get a good bass line for the intro acoustic thing, so if someone wanted to take a shot at it, that would be cool.

Oh and if you do take the time and you want my help or opinion don't be shy to ask, I'll be glad to help!

Both are RSE compatible -

For RSE both guitars at 16
Without RSE guitars at 13
Attachments:
Armagedda - Tension.zip