Page 5 of 7
@ the arsis
it would have been nice to add a key. you could have been nicer to add what kind of solo you wanted(i.e shreddy, slow, fast, melodic, wanky, evil sounding, beautiful sounding, more of this technique, less of that technique ect)

i only spent like 7 minutes on it so its not that great ill work on it later if you describe what you want more
Attachments:
solo[1].gp4
Hey guys, i've already made a topic to show off my song and to request some help, but here I specifically need your talent to write a badass solo at the beginning of my song. From bar 11 to 18, following the feeling of the first few lead notes (1 to 11) ... I want it to be doubled by a sitar lead on the keyboard (or some very heavy synth) , either by simply doubling it or by doing some harmonies... Unfortunately, my knowledge is pretty limited and I don't know how to create good complementary harmonies between two instruments on a lead.

You can also give me some critics on the song if you want on my thread (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1292296)

Haha I'm so BAD at writing solos... I hope you guys can help! The present one has absolutely no groove in it and feels completely dull and boring.

I want something that will follow the groove of the song with some slow parts and maybe a fast notes shredding part at the end before the 7/8 riff....

If you can do something on this, I'll buy you a drink... :P
Attachments:
Maxime Doiron - Fallacy_v4.gp4
Last edited by nightale at Mar 28, 2010,
Quote by nightale

Nightwish much?

Nice song, maybe I'll try to look into the solo later but don't expect anything, I'm not really into this style yet.
I would be very greateful if anynoen could add drums for be between bars 61-76.

I have attached the files.

It'd be great if anyone could add 'slow' (Soft?) drums in this section, so although it may not be 32th double bass notes, i'd like something that isn't boring! =D
Also, do not feel pressurised to have constant drums between 61-76, you can of course leave out sections, like what I have done.

Thanks if anyone can give this a go
Attachments:
Discord Drums needed.gp4
Quote by zezikaro
I have attached the files.
for some reason the file doesn't work for me.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Quote by thorbor
for some reason the file doesn't work for me.

Oops, the fail of not double checking uploaded files!

Fixed bro

Ty trying to help though :P Maybe this time it'll work
Attachments:
Discord.gp4
I fiddled around with it a bit but it's always the same: If you add the drums later on, they wont work that good.

At first you should tab the first part in 6/8, otherwise you're making it too difficult writing drum fills. It also makes teh transition to the next part impossible, because you are changing from a triplet feeling back to the normal feeling. It's just impossible to make this transition work without changing too much of the song.

Anyway, here what I had in mind for the part.

I wont crit this song since it would just end in a rant about the genre so I'll stop here. Only thing I have to say is that bars 134-139 are a terrible arpeggios from hell rip off and that most of your transitions are very rough.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
oh boy.
any normal guy would've just changed the tempo and the time sig to make it fit in 3/4 or 6/4 WITHOUT those triplets.
they SUCK.
really, i mean it.

anyways, it wasn't that hard to make something fitting.
there you go.

ps.:
worship ravishing me and my great drum skills.
Attachments:
zez.gp4
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Holy shit nemesis, that was depressing.
Mission accomplished!
Quote by thorbor

At first you should tab the first part in 6/8, otherwise you're making it too difficult writing drum fills. It also makes teh transition to the next part impossible, because you are changing from a triplet feeling back to the normal feeling. It's just impossible to make this transition work without changing too much of the song.

Which bar is that matey?

Quote by thorbor

I wont crit this song since it would just end in a rant about the genre so I'll stop here.

I don't want a rant, but i'd really like to know what kind of genre you THINK it is, that'd be really great if you could offer a sort of rough genre

Quote by thorbor

Only thing I have to say is that bars 134-139 are a terrible arpeggios from hell rip off and that most of your transitions are very rough.

Rough transitions noted, I'm going to look into that asap, Only... As you can tell, with it being my first song i'm somewhat inexperienced with that sort of thing lol.

134-139 'from hell rip off', what song is that?

Thanks for the comments, too bad about not trying the drums lol

Quote by Nemesis@Germany

any normal guy would've just changed the tempo and the time sig to make it fit in 3/4 or 6/4 WITHOUT those triplets.

Which bar is that? xD

I like the drums, but I had to change some of the notes occasionally so it didn't sound over-crowded, thanks!

Also, bar 76... :| lol, that's insane. I don't think i'll find a drummer that can do that IRL lol. The bended note there is just trem picked, something that you might hear gilbert do (Like in Technical difficulties, or yngwie in arpeggios from hell).

Thank you both for investing your time.

Things for me to do:
- Fix my transitions
- Remove bar 134-139
- Make something 3/4 or 6/8 (But I don't have a clue which bar )
Here's a piece I started putting together today, it's a combination of a few things I've been working on separately for a while now. I'm trying to change it up from my usual idea of centering around one main progression or riff by incorporating many different parts or changes. At the moment, however, I've only done probably half or so of the song and only guitar/bass and string parts. I've yet to work on drums properly. I'd really love some feedback as to wether it works half decent as a whole or if it's just a mess. I'm just sick of hearing it over and over now! Hahaha thanks to anyone who gives it a listen!
Attachments:
Inst.gp5
Last edited by Drummerrrrr? at Mar 28, 2010,
Quote by Drummerrrrr?
Here's a piece I started putting together today, it's a combination of a few things I've been working on separately for a while now. I'm trying to change it up from my usual idea of centering around one main progression or riff by incorporating many different parts or changes. At the moment, however, I've only done probably half or so of the song and only guitar/bass and string parts. I've yet to work on drums properly. I'd really love some feedback as to wether it works half decent as a whole or if it's just a mess. I'm just sick of hearing it over and over now! Hahaha thanks to anyone who gives it a listen!
first off, your name is drumerrrrr und you haven't any drums in there yet?
Just trust me, not starting with bass or drums or at least writing them as soon as one guitar part is finished, will definitely make it harder writing decent drums.
If you start with drums, you can almost be sure that all transitions will work.

anyway, now onto the song itself.
Your bass is pretty good and I like the chord changes in the song.
The break at bar 27 is a bit rough and sudden, there's not really any reason for having a break this early in a song.
Since you have no drums, it's impossible to understand the rhythm of the break riff, I don't know how you even write such a thing without drums.

If everythign up until bar 50something is intro, then I don't see the point in it.

Seriously, I'd just take the very first riff and build your song on that one. I kinow, it's exactly the opposite of what you wanted to do initally, but it sounds like you forced yourself to write something different, and it doesn't really work out.
Let's just say, it doesn't flow naturally and you can hear that.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but that's the best type of crit you can get.

I'd be glad if you could check out this song in return
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1289325
if you don't have RSE then theres an rse recording on my profile, it's not supposed to be in midi.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Hahaha that's all I needed to hear, thanks ;D
I've just gotta find something good to start off with, I kinda forced bits together, I guess.
Could anyone help me with some transitions

The main problem I have with my music is writing the transitions, and continuing the flow of the music

For instance, some of these notable fails are at
bar 17
bar 30
bar 176

Can anyone help please?
Attachments:
discord.zip
Quote by zezikaro
Could anyone help me with some transitions

Drums are missing from a lot of places. Do you intend to keep it like this?
The part which contains bar 176 has no drums at all and drums are very important when talking about transitions.
Quote by atira
Drums are missing from a lot of places. Do you intend to keep it like this?
The part which contains bar 176 has no drums at all and drums are very important when talking about transitions.

Okay, I took a deeper look in it.
You have a nice song there but some fixes were needed. Also made some changes in the drums, mostly in the transition parts.
Sorry, I failed the transition in bar 176...

One common mistake: pay attention to compound and normal times or the rhythm will be weird.

Here is a list of changes:

changed drums in bars: 9, 13, 17, 25, 29, 35
changed drums 45 to match rhythm with guitar
added toms in 59-60, wrong beats in 64 and 68
changed synth in 63-67 -> weird rhythm with track 10
drums in 115 (same as in 9)
drums in 119 (same as before, wrong beats)
drums in 123
added toms in 127
deleted snares in 131 (they were good for transition, don't use them again in the first bar of a phrase IMO)
added snares in 135
added snares in 139, deleted them in 140 and 141 (see bar 131-132)
added toms in 143
added snares in 147
fixed synth in 152
changed drums in 155 to match keyboard rhythm
changed drums in 180
changed drums in 184
changed drums rhythm to match with guitar
added toms in 187
added snare 192
changed ending (a matter of taste but ending it in the middle of a bar felt weird)

And here's the file:
Attachments:
Discord[1].zip
Last edited by atira at Apr 6, 2010,
Quote by atira
Okay, I took a deeper look in it.
You have a nice song there but some fixes were needed. Also made some changes in the drums, mostly in the transition parts.

One common mistake: pay attention to compound and normal times or the rhythm will be weird.

Here is a list of changes:

And here's the file:

Woah...

Simply, woah.

Thanks for putting a lot of time into doing that for me.
I was expecting a word or two of advice, not all that xD

Overall the changes sound great, and although some of the changes are small, they really made a huge difference to increasing the fluidness of the song!

I deleted tiny bits that you added, just due to preference, as they conflicted with my original intentions within the song, but you really outdid yourself!

Edit :: I really like what you did with the synth at bar 61 or so, that's exactly what i WAS aiming for haha, It always stood out as being slightly off to me lol

I couldn't see the change you'd made at bar 152 btw?

And

Hey, I don't blame you, there's only so much you can do with terrible music!
(I'm gonna have to rewrite that bit entirely )

And for the ending, I see what you were trying to do.. And I like it. I'm gonna rewrite that bit, but continuing the idea that you used there It'll really help it better than the half-bar abrupt ending, like you said :P

Thanks for fixing and changing those drums, they gave me a lot of ideas for changing the music as well!

Thanks for your time
Last edited by zezikaro at Apr 6, 2010,
You're welcome It was also a good practice for me.
I deleted tiny bits that you added, just due to preference, as they conflicted with my original intentions within the song, but you really outdid yourself!

It's your song, I only gave some advices and ideas
I couldn't see the change you'd made at bar 152 btw?

The first note of the bar was a dotted eighth.
And for the ending, I see what you were trying to do..

Err, yeah, I've run out of time, the main thing was the rhythm. It's also just some idea.
So,here is my problem:
Its the first time i'm trying to compose post-rock and im stuck in the middle of the track.
"Swells" section sounds too short and boring for me.I probably need to throw in another chord progression ,but i dont see where i should go.
And ending gets repetative as well, needs more variations.
Even basic idea on how to solve this would be much appreciated.
Attachments:
There is no love in this lovely city.gp5
Quote by Entru
So,here is my problem:
Its the first time i'm trying to compose post-rock and im stuck in the middle of the track.
"Swells" section sounds too short and boring for me.I probably need to throw in another chord progression ,but i dont see where i should go.
And ending gets repetative as well, needs more variations.
Even basic idea on how to solve this would be much appreciated.

Are you able to play 'going crazy' i'd like to to hear/see a recording

And bar 63 onwards is kinda dissonant?
Quote by zezikaro
Are you able to play 'going crazy' i'd like to to hear/see a recording

And bar 63 onwards is kinda dissonant?

Yes,i am able to play that,check out my profile for audio.Screwed it up a little bit ,but that was 1st take recording.I dont have time to record it perfectly right now.

Bar 63 is supposed to be like that.It sounds much better with real guitar.
I think i will change some octaves though.

Anyway,can you help me with my actual problem?
Quote by Entru
Yes,i am able to play that,check out my profile for audio.Screwed it up a little bit ,but that was 1st take recording.I dont have time to record it perfectly right now.

Bar 63 is supposed to be like that.It sounds much better with real guitar.
I think i will change some octaves though.

Anyway,can you help me with my actual problem?

Your playing is no where as good as the guitar pro file :/

But as CC the intro idea is far too long anyway, I don't think you should work on those swells yet. And fixing the intro might help you think of something else in the process.
Quote by zezikaro
Your playing is no where as good as the guitar pro file :/

Of course it sounds worse.Its not in-mix,plus its a rough recording as i said.
But its played exactly like in gp,except faster.

Well, thanks for comments anyway.
Not really adding anything to the topic... just curious...

How the **** do some people use the acoustic grand piano as a drum kit!?
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
Fate is your deciding God
Quote by DragTheWaters11
Not really adding anything to the topic... just curious...

How the **** do some people use the acoustic grand piano as a drum kit!?

It's because they use tuxguitar, then convert it to guitar pro.
Hey guys, I'd like some help with this song I've created. Just a few notes first; I'm not a good songwriter, but I'm trying to work on it, and thats basically why I'm coming here. My biggest problem is to create drumtracks, I'm basically craptastic at it, I can generate som generic basic rhythms and mash up some cymbals and stuff, but I'm having a hard time making fills and stuff, and I'd love some help with that.
Also, in this song the horrible sound at the end of bar 9 is just something I mashed together because I'm thinking of putting some sort of Pinch Harmonic with a bit of a dive-bomb-ish kind of thing there, so it's not gonna sound that way when I'm done with it. :p
Also I'd like to hear some opinions on if I should try to have a solo in it, and how I'd have to go forth to making one, as I'm not that good there either, as I'm primarily a bassist. :p

Any help would be really great!
Attachments:
Wat.gp5
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
Quote by ninja.kitty

Ok thanks just asking because their drums sound better when converted (idk why)
Quote by bran lioneye
could anyone tell me what it means when= 9^7 is on a tab? cheers

Guess it's a pull-off.
Quote by ninja.kitty

It works if you do it properly.

I have both Tux and GP so I can see if it hasn't been done properly when I do it. You need to use the batch converter in tools, not the save as function.
Would anyone like to give me a hand with an intro and/verse for this acoustic fingerpicking song I'm working on? I've got a chorus and a bridge/build-up with lyrics too, but I'm having trouble writing a verse that doesn't sound too much like the chorus. So yeah, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments:
chemical touch.gp5
^Just a general comment to be made.

When writing in that style of having bass and melody, don't just stick the melody notes on the off-beats. I find it more effective to write an actual melody while ignoring the bass (but being somewhat aware of what it is implying, harmony-wise).

You can then change the bass around a bit if you desire, maybe get the bass syncopating while the melody holds the beat or having some bass "fills" at the end of sections etc.
I literally have a bundle of riffs that I want some critique on/to know if I should turn some of them into full blown songs/split the riffs into individual songs.

Here you go!

They're in the style of: Powah Metal

Yes... I realize the distinct suckage of Bass throughout and the lack of "fullness" and anything like that.
Attachments:
Power Metal.zip
Fast Riffs.zip
Quote by Kergash
Hey guys, I'd like some help with this song I've created. Just a few notes first; I'm not a good songwriter, but I'm trying to work on it, and thats basically why I'm coming here. My biggest problem is to create drumtracks, I'm basically craptastic at it, I can generate som generic basic rhythms and mash up some cymbals and stuff, but I'm having a hard time making fills and stuff, and I'd love some help with that.
Also, in this song the horrible sound at the end of bar 9 is just something I mashed together because I'm thinking of putting some sort of Pinch Harmonic with a bit of a dive-bomb-ish kind of thing there, so it's not gonna sound that way when I'm done with it. :p
Also I'd like to hear some opinions on if I should try to have a solo in it, and how I'd have to go forth to making one, as I'm not that good there either, as I'm primarily a bassist. :p

Any help would be really great!

I'm working on it now.

Edit:

This is your no frills attached drum track I kept it close to what you already had but cleaned it up and programmed it as more like what your average drummer would do. Let me know if you're not happy with it and I'll change whatever you want. I also changed one or two of the notes in some of the riffs, 'cause they were out of key. Sorry for being so picky
Attachments:
Wat with drums.gp5
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Jul 21, 2010,
This is a song that I have started to make that is inspired by Opeth but I really seem to be running into a dead end. And not only that but with stuff to spice up the intro (solo?), and I also really could use help with the pre-verse (Particularly, what should be in bars 15 and 16)

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you guys!
Attachments:
Following the Fields of Love and Mourning.gp5
I'm glad I found this thread, as I really enjoy writing music, but I have no band and am primarily a vocalist so I can't write drums at all basically, and I have trouble coming up with good guitar parts a lot.

Anyway, would anyone be kind enough to put some drums/drum ideas into the attached song (modern rock). Thanks.
Attachments:
VM.gp5
WHAT do you want?
Check out this guys music its brilliant, I tried to find my own videos on youtube Becasue I forgot my username and this guys videos popped up. The sound and video arent brilliant but the guitaring on "Here I Am Again" And his original songs arre great, take a look, also I found him on facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=133163716715865

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrlewisforsyth