Hey,

I have just found out about Robot Les Pauls, and I have to say I'm impressed. What would the cost of something like this be? I can't seem to find a price on the internet that is exact and the page on the Gibson website won't work....

And I'm just curious what the general opinions on this type of guitar? Does it work and is it worth the money? Do people think its stupid and pointless? Just curious, let me know what you think
i dont like them,
how hard is it to tune a guitar?
and for the price you could get 2 guitars and have one for differnt tunings
Quote by innertom
i dont like them,
how hard is it to tune a guitar?
and for the price you could get 2 guitars and have one for differnt tunings

Thats a good point

It would be nice to have a guitar that I could drop down a full step or do any or tuning in 15 secs. I guess since my main guitar has a FR the idea of guitar that requires no work to change tunings is a nice idea
Quote by megaironpriest
Thats a good point

It would be nice to have a guitar that I could drop down a full step or do any or tuning in 15 secs. I guess since my main guitar has a FR the idea of guitar that requires no work to change tunings is a nice idea

Don't let everyone else shut the idea down for you. If you go used, they go for around 1,000-1500 on ebay, depending on model/run. Very useful, as it allows you to do different tunings quite efficiently
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Problems w a robot FR guitar would be you still couldnt change tunings without resetting the bridge. And you would also have to unlock the nut to tune, then locking it down which usually alters the tuning a bit so your still stuck fine tuning.

Most consider the robot guitars just a gimmick. I can play my guitar several hours without needing to tune and takes me all of 1 minute to tune before playing, so auto tune isnt much of a feature to me. And I just have other guitars for other tunings. Being a lefty I dont even know if they have robots for me.
Quote by megaironpriest
And I'm just curious what the general opinions on this type of guitar? Does it work and is it worth the money? Do people think its stupid and pointless? Just curious, let me know what you think

Having had the opportunity to try one recently, yes, they work. Whether it is worth it or not depends entirely on the player.

Suppose someone is a gigging guitarist. Say, in a cover band. He has a six-song set. The first is in E Standard, second in Drop C, next two in Drop D, next in Open G, and the last in Open E. That is who the Robot Guitar is meant for. It has nothing to do with "I don't feel like tuning up every time I play." It has everything to do with needing to change tunings quickly and accurately. Jimmy Page (who tunes all over the place) might find it useful, Kirk Hammett (who plays predominantly in E Standard) would likely not.

It is what it is. It's not for everybody. It just depends on how useful you think you will find it.
Quote by Flying Couch
Having had the opportunity to try one recently, yes, they work. Whether it is worth it or not depends entirely on the player.

Suppose someone is a gigging guitarist. Say, in a cover band. He has a six-song set. The first is in E Standard, second in Drop C, next two in Drop D, next in Open G, and the last in Open E. That is who the Robot Guitar is meant for. It has nothing to do with "I don't feel like tuning up every time I play." It has everything to do with needing to change tunings quickly and accurately. Jimmy Page (who tunes all over the place) might find it useful, Kirk Hammett (who plays predominantly in E Standard) would likely not.

It is what it is. It's not for everybody. It just depends on how useful you think you will find it.

The Gibson Robot LP sucks at drop tunings.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker

Make no mistake - it's drop tunings did not compare to a top-tier guitar, finely set up in Drop C using appropriate gauge strings. With the Robot Guitar, there were off-putting changes in tension and feel when in alternate tunings. But they were certainly usable.

Similarly, using a coil-splitter on a Les Paul does not really capture the true single-coil snarl of a Strat or a Tele. But one can trade off on "the best" tone so that you can have two pretty good tones. Sacrifices.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by Dawnwalker

How so? I understand that going to drop C would suck because of string tension, but for drop D it is surely fine?

It's useful, like stated, if you're a gigging guitarist who needs to switch between standard, half down, drop D and open tunings regularly. Like, if you played some SRV, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Cream etc all in one set, it could be very useful.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
It wont work for changing tunings mid gig because you will need different gauge strings.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I think there over priced and gimmicky
But the idea of a guitar tuning themselves is awesome
Quote by random_B-RAD
It wont work for changing tunings mid gig because you will need different gauge strings.

Tell that to SRV.

He used 12's and 13's. For standard.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Get a tuner and do it yourself, besides I dont like gibsons,

I would get 2 guitars for different tunings like someone else said, would be more useful
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Let's see... A robot LP is basically a LP studio with the robot tuning. Half of them have bound ebony fretboards, all have the 490/498t pups. So about half have the same fretboard and all have the same pups as a LP custom.

And one store is blowing them out at $999.99. LP studios cost $1100-1300. Customs cost $3000+. (customs don't have the robot function)

Simple math really - if you don't want to have the robot option, pay more.

Also, you don't have to use the robot function. You simply pull out on the tuning key and tune it yourself. or remove it and mod it for traditional wiring.

If $999 is overpriced for a USA LP Studio...

Edit: Also, you can program a couple of your own tunings that aren't in the library it has.

EDIT:
Les Paul himself was all about innovation. He created a tape echo (first reverb) and installed it into his guitar. He also had the first looper built in. So if innovation is bad, he must have been a complete idiot. <--- Sarcasm, I'm a huge fan of the man, RIP.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
If $999 is overpriced for a USA LP Studio...

At that price, you could probably figure how the quality is.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
At that price, you could probably figure how the quality is.

The same as any other LP studio I've seen. They are $999 because one particular store/corp bought $3 million dollars worth. So they got a hella deal and priced them to sell. It's simple business.
Quote by random_B-RAD

You dont need different gauge strings. I use my .9 set for Standard and Drop C. If you went lower tuning than that then I could understand higher gauge but otherwise .9 works great and .10 would probably be perfect.
I own a Robot, one of the first run.
It was a good investment!
I like how it plays and having a guitar that tunes itself is a nice feature. I store a reference tuning of A=432Hz because it sounds better, if you've heard about that.
I have a simple rule when it comes to things like the Robot systems - if you have to ask, you don't need it. If you're going to complain, you don't understand it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.