Just as I bought a tube Vypyr, I found one of these with an asking price of $399. Is this a decent deal? I understand this is a good amp for metal and modern rock. Is this the same as the more common 212 version, just in a smaller wattage?
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1
Last edited by silver93t at Dec 7, 2009,
Damn. I literally bought a tube Vypyr last night. I think I am going to return it I can pick this thing up.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
To be honest, the XXX setting on the Vypyr is pretty good. I'd just keep it. Plus you'll get all the other amp models, effects, headphones, etc.

But yeah, the Triple X is a killer amp. I almost got one. If you do get one, put EL34 power tubes in it.
What pisses me off about the Vypyr is I would have to spend another $200 on the stupid Sanpera switch to make it foot switchable. I haven't used the headphones a single time and tried the effects maybe two or three times.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Quote by silver93t
What pisses me off about the Vypyr is I would have to spend another $200 on the stupid Sanpera switch to make it foot switchable. I haven't used the headphones a single time and tried the effects maybe two or three times.

So return it, you know what you want we can't tell you that. If you have no use for it's main features then you wouldn't be losing much.
I'm going to have both amps here in a few days so I can compare them side by side.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Quote by TOMMYB22
So return it, you know what you want we can't tell you that. If you have no use for it's main features then you wouldn't be losing much.

+123456789

I'd keep the Vypyr. You'll be happier with it I think. I think you just need to give it a chance, no since in bashing it when you haven't even used much of it. You can get some great sounds out of it. And the direct recording out is kind of handy for laying down demos.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
I have one I love it to death. Its great for rock and metal, you may need an overdrive for blues, I suggest the daneelctro cool cat drive, great blues tones. Add a chorus and you have semi nice cleans.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
for versatility the vypyr would be the best but if you've not used many of the amp models or effects then that versatility isn't particularly useful
if you play metal and hard rock the XXX is pretty much perfect
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
I never really use the effects on the vypyr. I pretty much keep it on the default twn setting and teak the eq. I use my pedals for distortion or overdrive. You guys like the solid-state distortion on the vypyr? I wish they used tubes in that circuit as well. I don't do blues, not my thing. The cleanest music I'll play is Blue October, most of which is at least overdriven. My XXX should be here tomorrow. I'll compare the two side by side.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
I wanted a XXX but couldn't find one for a decent price. I bought the tube vypyr with the intention to keep it for a while, then sell it when I found a XXX. Literally the next day I found a XXX on Ebay for a fair price. I messed around with both of them and I definitely like the XXX for the type of playing I do. The distortion just has more depth to it if that makes sense. I really wish they hadn't make the distortion circuit in the Vypyr solid-state. The other features would be cool to have. Surprisingly the cleans on the XXX were pretty good too. The cleans on the tube vypyr were much better than the solid-state version, but I like the sound of the XXX better. So for modern rock or metal I prefer the XXX.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40