Sorry if this is hard to explain, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any mac-compatible software that will let you sample an audio clip of any determinable amount of time, and set it to be used by a midi controller. For example, I want to be able to sample a kick drum, cymbals, and snare from a tune, set those as midi keys, and be able to play the kit in real time, with my own beats. Thanks for the help.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
Ableton does this very welll...Can be trigger by controller, or ketboard, or programmed manually. They have an awesome arsenal of tools, plugins etc...ESpeically for MIDI. Works cross platform. Mac, Win, and even ubuntu wine (my os of choice) Ive installed on. Coupled with the tousands of VST to use and rewire softwares to use with ableton. Makes it powerful for what you mentioned.

Donwload the demo, espcially for what you want, youll like it.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

If you need any help, just give a shout or pm me. Ive gotten fairly accustomed to this approach to grooves. By recording drum pieces and creating custom kits from the sounds.
Last edited by nynejoe at Dec 8, 2009,
Same with me, I'm fairly experienced in Ableton. I do this stuff ALL the time, so just shoot me a PM i you need any further help or explanation, but nynejoe should be able to get you started pretty quickly.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I think an ableton tutorial should be written up. A comprehensive one. To show just how amazing it is when applied to the whole creative process.

I was actually thinking on tackling the whole ableton and PT / reaper rewire or rearoute setup, to give an in depth look at beginning to end. Creative jam to final mastering. With pictures and videos as well as text.

Sid you u p for helping? We can start with ableton and run with it.
I would LOVE to do that. There's just SO much stuff to cover. We should link to a LOT of videos. This sentences exists merely so I can not capitalize one word for emphasis. But yeah, it would really help out around here, so many people get Ableton free with hardware and other software and have NO idea how it works, so they give up on an incredible program.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Logic has a sampler synth in it
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Just by the way you guys talk about it, I'm assuming if I try Ableton, I'd give up any ideas of being able to do the same the same thing in Garageband, which is what I use now. Is this correct?
Quote by bearded_monkey

Basically. Garageband can do about 30% of what Ableton can, and that's if you know EVERYTHING about Garageband. Watch 'Make Music' here: http://www.ableton.com/movies then check out some of the tutorial videos and see what's possible!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass