My mum said that she'd like to buy me a guitar for my 18th birthday, because she believes that it'll be something that I can keep forever (and I probably will). She said that the budget is basically $1000 dollars, give or take, and I'm in the market for a jazz guitar of some sort - basically a semi-acoustic guitar like a Gibson ES-335 or something. Obviously that guitar is way out of my budget, but I was looking at other guitars like the Hagstrom Viking and Epiphone Dot.

So what are people's opinions on these two guitars (particularly the Hagstrom, because I've heard so much great stuff about it, but I'm apprehensive given it's country of origin), and does anyone have any other suggestions as to guitars I could looking into, like an Ibanez Artcore?

I play a wide variety of genres, but I'll probably be playing classic rock, jazz and some experimental stuff like post-rock on the instrument I get. The budget is $1000 Australian, and I'm limiting myself to semi-acoustics (but I'm open to different shapes, i.e. single or double cut outs) - I've already got 2 solid body guitars, so I'm fine with that. I also have a very able amplifier which is suited to the genres that I'll be playing, so I don't need to worry about that either.

Cheers guys.
I would recommend Hagstrom, and then maybe look into Eastman guitars, although I'm not sure of australian prices on them. The Hagstrom viking is good, if I was gonna get an Epiphone though I would go for the Joe Pass Emperor rather than the Dot. Of course, that is all my opinion.
Maybe an epiphone shearatone or one of the other epi hollowbodies.. There a little over ur budget. But if she is giving u a 1000 buxs u can hopefully boost that a little with ur own money ...

You could also try out the ibanez artcore series ... That grey and silver hollowbody looks Sexy... They are pretty much a 1000 on the dot ...

Theres also the pre SE hollowbody which is about 1200 ... Its semi-hollow if i remember correctly ... But it has a unique style to it ....

Theres a few options for ya ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

I'd say go for the hagstrom, i tried a few out when i was shoping around for a new guitar a while ago and i layed my hands on the Viking and the HL-550, both of them are awesome and put any epi dot to shame.

If you live in australia (like me) i'd say try and get one through b-music

http://bmusic.com.au/category1020_2.htm

They're a hagstrom dealer and if you give them a call at the store as apposed to just off the net they might cut you a deal on something.
Quote by SFMMcoasters
Epi Dot is a great guitar.

I've played it at a store, it's a really nice guitar. Would I need to be shopping around for one, or are they all pretty good quality wise?

Quote by MelodicSlap
standard fender Jazz bass, greatest instrument ever made

Quote by BMP
I would recommend Hagstrom, and then maybe look into Eastman guitars, although I'm not sure of australian prices on them. The Hagstrom viking is good, if I was gonna get an Epiphone though I would go for the Joe Pass Emperor rather than the Dot. Of course, that is all my opinion.

I think my gramps has a guitar like the Joe Pass Emperor, 'cept it was an old Ibanez semi-acoustic. I personally prefer the look of a double cut out guitar - I wouldn't rule out getting that guitar just because it didn't have that, but I just prefer the look of an ES-335 or the Hagstrom Viking. I've gotta find a Hagstrom dealer in Sydney somewhere...

Quote by Tatsumaru
Maybe an epiphone shearatone or one of the other epi hollowbodies.. There a little over ur budget. But if she is giving u a 1000 buxs u can hopefully boost that a little with ur own money ...

Yeah, but I'm pretty pov so yeah Just looking at a pic of it on Wikipedia though: it look's absolutely gorgeous, I reckon I should definitely see what I can do to get it.

You could also try out the ibanez artcore series ... That grey and silver hollowbody looks Sexy... They are pretty much a 1000 on the dot ...

I've played a handful of Artcore guitars, and they're all pretty nice and pretty cheap too, I'll keep looking at them - some of them are just a bit too gaudy IMO but I'll definitely sacrifice looks for tone if I need to.

Theres a few options for ya ...

Cheers

Quote by SDM
I'd say go for the hagstrom, i tried a few out when i was shoping around for a new guitar a while ago and i layed my hands on the Viking and the HL-550, both of them are awesome and put any epi dot to shame.

Cheers, I'll look at that HL-550 too.

They're a hagstrom dealer and if you give them a call at the store as apposed to just off the net they might cut you a deal on something.

If I like the feel of one in a store, I'll definitely try that - do they have a store in Sydney or would I be getting it mail ordered?