I'm kinda wondering if it does right now. I mean, I holding it with my middle, pointer and thumb and I'm told this is wrong? I've looked up how to hold it "properly" and I don't think I ever want to use it that way. I can't strum chords, I'm not really accurate when trying to pick certain strings.... The only advantage(So far) it gives me is the pick doesn't some times fall out of my hand. So, I'm kinda stuck.. What to do? Is there some kind future techniques that need me to hold the pick the way I don't like to hold it? Like I was told Pinch harmonics are going to be harder along with other techniques?

Anyways, does this matter? Should I try and hold it properly?It hurts and if I don't need to hold it like that I don't plan on it.

Thanks in advance.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Quote by unicornfist
I'm kinda wondering if it does right now. I mean, I holding it with my middle, pointer and thumb and I'm told this is wrong? I've looked up how to hold it "properly" and I don't think I ever want to use it that way. I can't strum chords, I'm not really accurate when trying to pick certain strings.... The only advantage(So far) it gives me is the pick doesn't some times fall out of my hand. So, I'm kinda stuck.. What to do? Is there some kind future techniques that need me to hold the pick the way I don't like to hold it? Like I was told Pinch harmonics are going to be harder along with other techniques?

Anyways, does this matter? Should I try and hold it properly?It hurts and if I don't need to hold it like that I don't plan on it.

Thanks in advance.

Yer dud that isn't that correct way. You will have trouble alt picking. Proper way is thumb and pointer in a fist shape, but not clenched.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
You should try to hold it with your pointer and thumb only, instead of holding your pick with 3 fingers. But beside that, it doesn't matter how you hold it. Do what you prefer!
What I've found is most effective and easiest to do it have the pick pinched between the bottom of the thumb and the side of the index finger. Paul Gilbert spends like 5mins on that in one of his videos.

Like this but with the point pointing downward because you're not doing a pick slide
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 8, 2009,
I can't hold it comfortably like in that picture. That's the correct way I suppose? I can't do that.
Current Gear:
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
ive never understood how there are so many people who dont know how a pick is held. It just seems naural to hold it one way, unless you're completely mentally retarded. It's like not knowing how to put on a pair of jean. No one teaches you how its done, you just do it! I know there are some ways to hold a pick for specific techniques but im talking about just the standard way of holding a pick for simple strumming.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
Quote by flea's trumpet
ive never understood how there are so many people who dont know how a pick is held. It just seems naural to hold it one way, unless you're completely mentally retarded. It's like not knowing how to put on a pair of jean. No one teaches you how its done, you just do it! I know there are some ways to hold a pick for specific techniques but im talking about just the standard way of holding a pick for simple strumming.

Yes, I'm a retard because I prefer holding it different way and I'm asking if I'll some how need to hold it a certain way in the future for a technique..
Current Gear:
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
dude i hold it like a spaz to 2, if it works and u can pull off alt picks and harmonics, you win
Shameless Advert-
---

Free Unlimited Picks, made by you in seconds with the Pick Punch @ PLETHORA PICKS .
The only store in the UK! 10% off sale now on!

---

Ty
Quote by flea's trumpet

If a lot of people can't do something then it's not "natural" is it?

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
wow, calling the guy a retard because he's asking for help? so as for holding a pick, justinb904's photo is the "correct" way to hold a pick and I too remember having a really hard time holding it between my thumb and pointer finger - it felt like I didn't have a good grip on it and was going to drop it - that's why you're trying to use your middle finger (for extra grip).

The important thing to remember is that you have much more flexibility when you're using the pick between your thumb and pointer finger, and the reality is that you don't want to have a super strong grip on the pick. It needs to be somewhat loose and fluid so that it can react to the strings when you're alternate picking. That's how you develop speed and accuracy.

So even though it's uncomfortable and you feel like you're going to drop the pick, keep practicing with it that way and eventually it'll feel as comfortable as picking up a pencil and writing with it.
Pinch harmonics, Aternate picking, Two handed Tapping and Hybrid picking will all be much harder to learn if you continue to hold it like that. Alot of things may not feel completely natural at first, but they're considered 'proper technique' for a reason. Try practicing for a week only holding it the 'proper' way and see if it starts to feel any more natural
I hate my sig
Using those three digits is going to mean some serious bad news. You can't on no sweeps, alts, economy, etc, and even strumming chords will get to the point where its limited. I personally switch it up a little. When I do fast solo work I have a specific technique, but when I pick chords for a certain I have another technique. Anyways, point is - experiment and take your time.
I too am switching from 3 fingered to 2 fingered. I think ive got the whole thing figured out, but when i strum palm muted chords, this gets in the way: (im using justin's example)

Is this the same reason you can't play chords too, OP?

flea's trumpet: wow....
Quote by flea's trumpet

Wow that was one of the most ignorant thing I've read in a while, you need to apologize to everyone in this thread.

As for the op's question, imo I think it's best if you learn how to hold it the "universal" way (with the thumb and side of index finger), as there really wouldn't be any harm in that, and you never know, after the first week of practicing that way you might find it better than holding it the way you were before. Its not that holding it with three fingers is completely wrong, you can still play normally just like everyone else. Look at James Hetfield and Eddie Van Halen, they both hold the pick the same way you do, and they're both highly skilled guitarists. It's possible to make it work, but imo it's best if you learn the 'universal' way, because there are a lot of positives in that way, and in the long run a variety of different techniques that require flexibility in your picking hand will come much easer.

But really, its your style of playing, hold it how you want, and develop your technique, if it feels good to you then keep on doing it, just make a real effort to learn how to hold it the other way, and see which way you like.
I have seen jimmy herring, Santana and, Zappa all hold the pick the way you say you do. So if you are wrong so are all of these great players.
Quote by setboy
I have seen jimmy herring, Santana and, Zappa all hold the pick the way you say you do. So if you are wrong so are all of these great players.

They are. You think Paul Gilbert completely switched the way he held the pick for no reason? Obviously you can make it work, but if you do it right, it will be alot easier and comfortable in the long run.
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
They are. You think Paul Gilbert completely switched the way he held the pick for no reason? Obviously you can make it work, but if you do it right, it will be alot easier and comfortable in the long run.

Maybe you're right, but the TS is not Paul Gilbert. If he put enough time and patience practicing holding the pick that way, i'm pretty sure he will be efficient as Paul Gilbert. Playing the guitar is all about adapting to the way of his playing, that's why there's no standard way to play the guitar and it shouldn't be.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by talibanjo
wow, calling the guy a retard because he's asking for help? so as for holding a pick, justinb904's photo is the "correct" way to hold a pick and I too remember having a really hard time holding it between my thumb and pointer finger - it felt like I didn't have a good grip on it and was going to drop it - that's why you're trying to use your middle finger (for extra grip).

The important thing to remember is that you have much more flexibility when you're using the pick between your thumb and pointer finger, and the reality is that you don't want to have a super strong grip on the pick. It needs to be somewhat loose and fluid so that it can react to the strings when you're alternate picking. That's how you develop speed and accuracy.

So even though it's uncomfortable and you feel like you're going to drop the pick, keep practicing with it that way and eventually it'll feel as comfortable as picking up a pencil and writing with it.

This.
Quote by El Cumanés
Maybe you're right, but the TS is not Paul Gilbert. If he put enough time and patience practicing holding the pick that way, i'm pretty sure he will be efficient as Paul Gilbert. Playing the guitar is all about adapting to the way of his playing, that's why there's no standard way to play the guitar and it shouldn't be.

Yes, but some ways of playing are more difficult and inefficient than others. Sometimes individuality isn't all that matters.

Yes, I'd be unqiue if I could play holding the pick between my buttcheeks, but it just won't work. Same with his technique, maybe not as extreme as that example though...

If he continues using that technique, his alt picking will probably be inaccurate, strumming rhythms would be difficult, two-hand tapping and pinch harmonics would be impossible, and not to mention holding your pick like that promotes picking from the elbow instead of the wrist.
For everyone saying that holding the pick that way will make him pick inaccurately or he won't be able to alt/economy pick properly, kindly bend over and blow it out your ass. I hold my pick that way and I play just fine. If you are first learning, I'd say pick the 'normal' way, but only because you tend to hit the pickups playing like you do, but when you're playing with your amp up, like you usually would, it's not really noticeable.
Quote by unicornfist
I can't hold it comfortably like in that picture. That's the correct way I suppose? I can't do that.

do you think its gonna be that easy to just pick it up instantly? you have to work with it!
Quote by .Wretch.
For everyone saying that holding the pick that way will make him pick inaccurately or he won't be able to alt/economy pick properly, kindly bend over and blow it out your ass. I hold my pick that way and I play just fine. If you are first learning, I'd say pick the 'normal' way, but only because you tend to hit the pickups playing like you do, but when you're playing with your amp up, like you usually would, it's not really noticeable.

Tell me then, how the **** do you do pinch harmonics?
whoa! i ddnt realise what i said was so harsh. Hmm .... forgive me for sounding like a dick.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
Quote by flea's trumpet
whoa! i ddnt realise what i said was so harsh. Hmm .... forgive me for sounding like a dick.

No problem, it happens.

Any to everyone else. Thanks, I've been trying to and I actually think I may have been holding the pick to hard and that was making it painful. I've loosened it up and now I can strum much better put picking is still kinda a problem. But I'll keep trying and see how it turns out. Thanks everyone.
Current Gear:
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Quote by Dregen
Tell me then, how the **** do you do pinch harmonics?

By muting the string with your picking hand thumb/index/whatnot after picking the note? You know, the same way everyone else does them.

EDIT: Well, muting is not what I meant, but I guess you all know what I mean.
Quote by zipa
By muting the string with your picking hand thumb/index/whatnot after picking the note? You know, the same way everyone else does them.

EDIT: Well, muting is not what I meant, but I guess you all know what I mean.

Yeah I can squeal and alt pick just as well with three fingers, you just have to get used to it just as you do with the two finger grip. (to be honest though, im not that great at alt picking or squealing yet so that may be why i can still perform it just as well with three fingers)

The main and maybe only reason I'm switching is that it leaves an extra finger available for fingerpicking or tapping.
Last edited by CrimsonSwirl at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by .Wretch.

It "works" for you...but this forum is about helping people to get good, efficient, safe technique, not to make their bad habits work. No need to be so rude to people for giving good advice.
Isolation is a gift. All the others are a test of your endurance.
I played for a few months and just recently switched to Paul Gilberts pick holding. It really is better and it only took a couple days to get used to it.