What theory do I need to know if I want to be a songwriter? I'm very interested in writing blues.
Last edited by ph213x at Dec 8, 2009,
I would say scales and chord construction. There is a cool series of videos on youtube where a guy teaches the "blues boxes" which is really cool. He goes through them note by note and tells you exact what that note is used for, whether that is a note that you bend, or just a transition note which leads to the next, its very informative. I highly recommend you watch them.

Here is part 1 of 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mjyl-xHfOc
You don't need theory to write, but it can make life a lot easier. If you want to write blues then I'd get comfortable with a basic 12 bar blues progression and the blues scale and start just playing around with that for starters.
Quote by zhilla
You don't need theory to write, but it can make life a lot easier. If you want to write blues then I'd get comfortable with a basic 12 bar blues progression and the blues scale and start just playing around with that for starters.

Get that Twelve Bar Blues down. I'd say that is one of the most important things to do right now.

Look at some of the simple variations they do (eg IV in second bar, V in twelve bar etc..)

Get down your blues scale everywhere you possible can.

I say this in almost every post I make in MT...

CHORD TONES

Learn all your arpeggios up/down/sideways/backwards/inside/out.
Quote by ak10
I would say scales and chord construction. There is a cool series of videos on youtube where a guy teaches the "blues boxes" which is really cool. He goes through them note by note and tells you exact what that note is used for, whether that is a note that you bend, or just a transition note which leads to the next, its very informative. I highly recommend you watch them.

Here is part 1 of 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mjyl-xHfOc

Thank you for sharing!
Hi!!
Thanks for providing wonderful link to learn.
The thread is good provide some useful knowledge about learning new things.
I am not at all appreciated towards writing songs. But now I think I have to do so because I have GF and for her I think I want to write something which is new and created by me.
Thanks for all.
Quote by BruceSmith
Hi!!
Thanks for providing wonderful link to learn.
The thread is good provide some useful knowledge about learning new things.
I am not at all appreciated towards writing songs. But now I think I have to do so because I have GF and for her I think I want to write something which is new and created by me.
Thanks for all.

If you have a girlfriend, get to know your Major 7th chords, I call them "Love song chords" Play a G maj 7 to a D maj 7 and go back and forth softly, and voila, instant love song that makes her feel like a special angel

If you'd like to know more about chords and chord theory, and dont want to be spending years trying to work it all out or wade through a lot of complicated reading and writing...check out my seminar in the link below.