Does anyone else think that constantly reffering to pop culture is a really cheap form of entertainment? South Park went from being super epic for the first 7-8 series, and now every fudging episode is just a massive parody or a reference to something else popular in the media or from some classic blockbuster movie. It pisses me off that some good programmes went to shit after they became a torrent of refernces, its the media equivelent of the popular asshole in the class standing on a chair and shouting "listen to all the things I know".

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I like to leave the teabag in

Shave The Hairy Pineapple

Irish. No, the real kind of Irish

I LOVE BEING ALIVE!!
I agreee.

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Where South Park's going, it doesn't need roads.

Edit: It appears my shitty attempt at thread jacking with pop culture references has failed terribly.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Last edited by Zero-Hartman at Dec 8, 2009,
I don't watch South Park. Which begs the question, why did I post in this thread. And the answer: I don't know. *Ponders*
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
The worst case of this are the random cutaway gags in Family Guy.

Peter:Wow,this is more awkward than that time I was in Mexico with Gary Coleman!

*Cut to a stereotypical Mexican background with Peter and Gary Coleman sitting at a table*

Peter:I think I'm gonna have the Tacos Gary,because they're better than burritos.

Gary: Watch'ou talkin' 'bout Griffin?

*Cut back to main story*

This happens as many as 5 or more times in one episode,sometimes it's even the first "joke" in the show.It's a cheap ploy to fill time in the 23 minute format and it annoys me to no end for some reason.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Fuck you Whales!!!
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
Last edited by Sir Daniel at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by Pr0gNut
The worst case of this are the random cutaway gags in Family Guy.

Peter:Wow,this is more awkward than that time I was in Mexico with Gary Coleman!

*Cut to a stereotypical Mexican background with Peter and Gary Coleman sitting at a table*

Peter:I think I'm gonna have the Tacos Gary,because they're better than burritos.

Gary: Watch'ou talkin' 'bout Griffin?

*Cut back to main story*

This happens as many as 5 or more times in one episode,sometimes it's even the first "joke" in the show.It's a cheap ploy to fill time in the 23 minute format and it annoys me to no end for some reason.

Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
I still like the new episodes of South Park...
Gear:
ESP LTD EC-401FM STB
Ibanez AR307
Bugera Infinium 333XL
London City Bulldog
Line 6 Pod HD 300
Digitech Digiverb
Wishlist:
Pedalboard
Quote by Plaeghdraeger
I still like the new episodes of South Park...

Same. There can be too many pop-culture references but most of the time they're pretty funny.

Family Guy on the other hand, man that show got shit
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Understand what you mean but society these days are just perfect to make fun off so who cares its still funny i think
hmm long time i haven't watched south park so i don't know
there was a Friends episode with Carcass in it.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
SP rules, Kiddies can't inherit the awesome humor values.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Slicer666
there was a Friends episode with Carcass in it.

I wish there was a Friends episode with carcasses in it.

During the opening sequence a bus just plows through the front off the shop they always hang out in,and the next scene just shows carnage and Joey's stupid Guido scalp hanging off the front bumper.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

There was a Scrubs episode with Devildriver in it.

Also, I like black.

open your eyes: south park has always satired what was happening in current events that season. that's the beauty of the show taking just a week to write and produce. i remember the terry schiavo episode premiering something like twelve hours before she died. talk about eerie.

but yeah, pick almost any episode and there's something going on there (if not that week in the news, it's relevant to society in some general way).
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
open your eyes: south park has always satired what was happening in current events that season. that's the beauty of the show taking just a week to write and produce. i remember the terry schiavo episode premiering something like twelve hours before she died. talk about eerie.

but yeah, pick almost any episode and there's something going on there (if not that week in the news, it's relevant to society in some general way).

Yeah but the episode always stood on its own merits with jokes and stuff not being directly related to the issue. The episode where they build the wall aroun the city was the best, becuase of the chinese guy, and that had nothing really to do with child abduction. they over developed the characrters and took quirks that appeared every now and again, like cartmans racism, and made them the prdominant personality trait. And "Pee" wasn't funny. At all.
I like to leave the teabag in

Shave The Hairy Pineapple

Irish. No, the real kind of Irish

I LOVE BEING ALIVE!!
South Park does pop culture references in a good way, I find that South Park gives an ease and a laugh to today's society, and puts different perspectives and stuff.

I don't see where the "Pee" episode had any pop-culture references
DeVillains!
Catastrophe-movie parody.

Pee was funny btw.
I pissed myself laughing when they tried the "cure" on Randy/Monkeys.

Also, I like black.

Most new SP episodes don't rely on pop culture references and use them somewhat sparingly.

I don't know where you're coming from with this, TS.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
He to whom this emotion is a stranger,
who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,
is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
- Albert Einstein