I'm kind of confused. I'm making a 2x12" guitar cab amp. I'm not sure what dimensions to use at all. I and the technology techy guy at school brainstormed a bit and we think 36cm up and 72cm wide is ok. Except when I drew it out on some mdf, it didn't look right. It looked quite small height wise.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Also, if you dont but do own a 2X12, would you mind measuring the height,width and depth for me? Thanks!

(also, just to check, the 12" is for the diameter of the speaker, yes?)
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RECTOcabs/Recto2x12H-LG.htm

DIMENSIONS:

17-1/2in H

30-1/8in W

14--1/4in D

44.45cm H

76.52cm W

36.20cm D

Should be some safe measurements to work with
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Dec 8, 2009,
Ah! Why didn't I think of that? thanks man
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Anytime
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
It depends on what speakers your using, different speakers mean different sizes.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
It depends on what speakers your using, different speakers mean different sizes.

It's true, each speaker needs to be matched to a specific volume of air to give its best, too big and you'll squash the bass, too small and it will be boomy and uncontrolled. If you are going to copy a cabinet then put the same drivers in. If you get the spec's of the speakers I can calculate the volume of the cab for you
Thanks a lot, but just by coincidence I'm going to be using Celestion V30s and so does that mesa cab so I think I'll be alright. Although, I'm not really looking for a Mesa tone, will this matter?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Quote by PussyPunk182
Thanks a lot, but just by coincidence I'm going to be using Celestion V30s and so does that mesa cab so I think I'll be alright. Although, I'm not really looking for a Mesa tone, will this matter?

Company's tone isn't really affected by the cab as much as it is by the amplifier itself.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Company's tone isn't really affected by the cab as much as it is by the amplifier itself.

But surely Mesa have done something to the cab to make it more suitable for the tone of the heads they produce; is the volume of the cab not one of the factors?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Not really. The idea behind the numbers is to avoid even numbers because that tends to make "Standing Waves" happen more often and be more prevalent.

I'd say those numbers are pretty good. And if a link hadn't been posted with them, would you have any idea that they came from Mesa?
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
If you put the same speakers in the same cab they will sound the same as the commercial units so long as you do a good job. Both cabs and speakers will affect the tone.