Hey,
I know this sounds very very newb like but i want to work on solo's etc but to be honest i don't know any scales .

can anyone suggest the obvious ones to work on that i can slip into what i'm playing? cause i don't really know where to begin.

cheers!
To start playing them learn the minor pentatonic.

To start understanding them learn the major scale - but learn it in terms of steps (WWHWWWH), notes and intervals, not just how to play it.
Quote by jsantos
Ionian Mode for Major

and

Aeolian Mode for Minor

no. same notes, different thing, completely useless information for anyone who doesn't know how to harmonize the major scale (or even know it) or about how chord progressions resolve. It's just major or minor unless it's in a modal context. there's no need for the greek names here.

also, TS, learn the Major scale and the Minor scale if you wanta get started in learning some basic theory. If you just wanta learn how to jam and worry about theory later then learn the Minor pentatonic or the blues scale (same thing as pentatonic, just an extra note thrown in)
If you want to play something that sounds good, without having to think much about what you're doing, learn the minor pentatonic.

If you want to learn theory, and use that to create solos (which usually end up being more interesting than those made using the minor pentatonic), start with the major scale.
Quote by m18eyd
Hey,
I know this sounds very very newb like but i want to work on solo's etc but to be honest i don't know any scales .

can anyone suggest the obvious ones to work on that i can slip into what i'm playing? cause i don't really know where to begin.

cheers!

I would suggest getting familiar with the scales that are most commonly used in guitar solos.

commonly used scales:

minor pentatonic
minor blues
Major pentatonic
major blues
Major
natural minor

* you could start with just 1, and then build from there.

Getting familiar with the scale in context:

Find a solo you like. learn it, practice it, play it. Figure out what scale is being used.
Make the connection. Do this for lots of solos.
shred is gaudy music