I'm a guitarist of around six years now, and although I haven't really looked it seems that their are just way more guitarists than bassists, and I've got more of a desire to just get out and play live than I do to be playing my 'prefered' instrument. I'm sure I can come to love the bass . Anyway, I want a bass that can cover as many genres as I like. The reason I'm making a thread is because the basses in the FAQ thread are really beginner basses, and I think I've got enough skill I can jump into a 'better' standard of guitar (although my budget isnt huge).

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of a 5 string bass, however I also like the idea of a 6 string bass (feel more at home hehe). How much harder is it to slap/pop on a 6 string? And other than solo bass pieces, would that higher string come in handy in a band setting at all?

I really like the Peavey Grind 5/6, but im going to really be sure about this decision because I have to ship it to Australia (no stores sell them). My next best is some bass from the Ibanez SR series, but they seem a little pricey. Shape & colour is going to make up a lot of my decision, I'm a fan of wood finishes. This is because I've got plans to play in a hardcore band, a metal band, an indie band, as well as possibly punk, ska, big band, funk, folk bands, grind/mathcore etc: the shape/colour of the guitar will need to be pretty adaptable so I dont feel outta place (superficiality haha). So if you have any other recommendations for me And if you could answer any of these questions that'd be real cool, so yeah. Thanks.
Quote by psyo

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of a 5 string bass, however I also like the idea of a 6 string bass (feel more at home hehe). How much harder is it to slap/pop on a 6 string? And other than solo bass pieces, would that higher string come in handy in a band setting at all?

i'm fairly sure that the extra strings on a 5 string and 6 string bass are lower strings, not higher strings
ChemicalFire: I'll be playing metal that would be for a guitarist in the tunings BEADGB and CGCFAD. I'm definitely sure the range would suit.

vjferrara : yeah 5 strings have a lower B, i thought 6 strings had one extra low and one extra high?
you're right. sorry about that. i just called a friend of mine with a 6 string and his opinion is that the higher string is actually a lot more useful than you'd think. standard tuning for a 6 string is B – E – A – D – G – C. he said that it's pretty much your ear you should be listening to rather than other people when it comes to a 6 string bass. it also has a lot to do with what amp you'll be playing out of. for your metal/core genres the low string will help. he said the high C string is great for ska/funk type stuff though. he also said that 6 string basses are a little more fickle than 4 and 5 string basses and that it is all up to opinion. some brands put out great 4 and 5 strings but their 6 strings are horrible. some put out really horrible 4 and 5 strings but their 6 strings are amazing. i believe my friend has a warwick 6 string
Fender Jazz or Precision. Very versatile bass, with sexjuicelovetone.
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
I have a 5-string bass guitar and guitars. So I have the best of both worlds at times. I say to do guitar as a side-project then.

5-string bass can come in handy really nicely, it saves a lot of pain in the rear when it comes to tuning drop D. However, it also can be a nuisance if you don't utilize it.
Behind Last Place - Rhythm Guitarist
Yngwie Malmsteen Custom Fender - "Yusuke"
Hyunwoo Custom Fender - "SHP"
Takamine PT-406 - "Takamoto"

Current Project : Hyunwoo Custom Fender - "YSP"
Thanks for the input . I'm thinking right now I just might go right ahead and order in the Peavey Grind 5. Is there anything better out there for a mid priced bass? (it needs to look nice too hehe)
Peavy Grind is a solid choice. Good quality, good tone, and even with the wide neck it's still pretty comfy.

About a 5/6 string:

It's not so much about the extra range of notes (although it is nice), it's more about economy of motion - it's easier to go across the fretboard as opposed to up and down it. If your planning on doing some slapping and popping at some point, you might find the tighter string spacing unconfortable. It's really something you have to try out.

On just playing bass in general (in cas you didn't know):

In your orginal post you thought were 'too skilled' to get a beginners bass, just remember that it's not guitar just an octave lower or an easier version of a guitar; it's a different instrument, one that requires considerable time and effort to get good at. So if you think your going to grab a bass and be good at it instantly, your not.

And you didn't mention anything about a bass amp. So if you don't have one - you want to get one. And for gigs you want to shoot for something that has around 300 watts, even if you have PA support.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by psyo
ChemicalFire: I'll be playing metal that would be for a guitarist in the tunings BEADGB and CGCFAD. I'm definitely sure the range would suit.

If your playing in Drop tuning like drop C, then the B is useless when it comes to pedal notes which is common in most metal. The 5 string would be awesome for the B standard tuning though.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You need to go try some basses first. Find out first if a 5/6-er is comfortable for you, then if you think you really will use the extra strings, go for it. It won't impede your learning to start on a 5 or 6 string.

The Peavey is a solid choice, the Grind series is great, but dont be completely turned off to beginner basses, since thats what you are: a beginner. There are 5 and 6 strings of the Ibanez GSR200, the GSR205 and GSR206 that are perfectly gig worthy and won't desolate your wallet. However, if your sure you want to spend more, the Grind, like I said is a solid choice. You mentioned the SR series, which are also fantastic basses, but the tight string spacing on them can sometimes make slapping more difficult. Take a look at the Ibanez ATK 305 as well, and I'd also recommend having a look at some Trabens. Try some basses out, and bass your choice off comfort, not looks or color.

You'll also need an amp, 10-20W practice amps start around $100 new, and if your gigging, your going to want around 200-300W, so remember to add a bass amp to your budget.

EDIT: just saw I wrote "bass your choice...", accidental pun
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Dec 8, 2009,
I know its a different instrument and all, and theres going to be a learning curve, but I have a lot of years on somebody who would be picking up the instrument for the first time. I played classical guitar at school for three years and I learned how to play touchstyle, I've got reasonably strong/coordinated fingers. (I'm hoping) that should translate into bass playing fairly well. I know that doesn't change me technically being a beginner.

There isn't a huge range of bass guitars where I live, which is why I asked about the Peavey Grind, and you guys all seem to regard it highly which is good. What I meant by the shape/colour was that it's going to play a bigger part in this decision, it'd be stupid of me not to think about the feel of it . I went to the guitar shop a day or two ago and could really tell the difference between a bass that plays well and one that doesnt. No shops sell the Peavey Grind basses round here, from what I gather it should play pretty well.

For amps, I'm probably going to be playing out of a practice amp for a while before I can make money for something to use at a gig. I guess thats just about all I need to know. Thanks for all your help.
I know you say you don't need a beginner bass because you are experienced, but you are experienced with guitar. You could spend a sizable amount of money on a bass then realize that you don't like the instrument as much.
Switching instruments because there are a lack of them isn't a great reason to switch. You should play what you like playing, and if you are good enough you will stand out against the crowd.

With guitar I can't imagine that to be too difficult to be honest. Sure, everyone plays guitar, but not many play it well. 90% of the guitarists I know consider themselves great and literally don't know anything about music theory.
Not a huge brand, or a popular brand...
but Greg Bennet guitars are absolutely fantastic.
The Greg Bennet Fairlane FN-1 was my first bass, and I love it more than several Fenders I've played on. They are good and cheap and sound good on many genre's.

Only problem is that you have to find a store that carries them as they do not sell them online. The site has a store locator

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/fn1.html
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
IT's true that this guy is still a bass beginner, but he is totally entitled to buy a mid level bass. He'll probaly end up wanting a better one than a low level relatively soon. Also as far as 5/6 goes, I make sure your comfortable with the spacing first.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Casketcreep
I know you say you don't need a beginner bass because you are experienced, but you are experienced with guitar. You could spend a sizable amount of money on a bass then realize that you don't like the instrument as much.
Having been in the same situation as the OP I bought my first bass a few weeks ago and I'm really enjoying playing it. However, I bought it with one eye on the possibility that I wouldn't so went for something I could sell on without making too much of a loss. I went for a mid-eighties Japanese E-series Precision Special second hand I found in a local guitar shop. Just a thought... great believer in getting what you like though if you can afford it
Schecter makes very solid basses for that same range. Also If ou are wanting higher level equipment for cheaper, ou can always check out used stuff.
xbox live gamertag: phillips215