setup= need some help from wise-guys,

Here is my setup;

boss chrom/tuner pedal
DS-1 boss distortion pedal
dimebag wah-wah pedal
>>
fender strat (mex) (stock pickups)
>>
crate amp (not sure what kind) (350. in cost, 5 yrs old,on-board digital effects)

im going to swap in some diMarzio pickups (<2> single coil & humbucker) for better
sound/tone/gain...
but everything seems flat, not much sustain, hard to play pantera and make it scream...the fender/ with my setup seems so bland...
Am I missing something from my setup you think?

The list i have is ALL i have...
what might be your next buy in gear?
better amp? any must have pedals? Would you recommend single boss pedals, or a multi-fx 'all-in'one' pedal?

I play alot of metal and need that gain/sustain...

also, id like to get a floyd rose/lock nut on my strat...any advice?

any ideas would be great.
Last edited by monolith666 at Dec 8, 2009,
I would upgrade your amp first. A pickup swap isn't going to do much for your overall sound with that amp. The amp is a major part of your tone.

EDIT: as far as adding a floyd rose to your strat...it can be done if you want to spend the time and money doing it...going to be a little more difficult to route if you want to it to pull up as well (full-floating). Might be better to buy another guitar in the future that already has a floyd rose
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by eyebanez333
I would upgrade your amp first. A pickup swap isn't going to do much for your overall sound with that amp. The amp is a major part of your tone.

agreed. really, its the amp. also, youre trying to play pantera with a mex strat thru a smallish amp. of course it wont sound right. dimebag used fullstack amps and guitars with humbuckers (not sure whether active or passive off the top of my head). but ya, change the amp first then worry about a new guitar or upgrade.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by monolith666

also, id like to get a floyd rose/lock nut on my strat...any advice?

any ideas would be great.

Ok, firstly....

All round you need a new guitar it seems. Because the floyd AND pickups will cost a fortune and probably won't sound it the way you want.

Next, if its a Crate, it should at the least be ok. Borrow a guitar off somebody and do a quick demo.

Also, try and get the distortion out of your amp FIRST, and then if it doesn't have enough gain use your pedal.