I understand a major key uses the major key chord progressions and the minor key uses the minor key chord progression, however, what chord progressions do the pentatonic major, pentatonic minor, pentatonic blues, harmonic minor, dorian, mixolydian and aeolian scales use?

Is there a formula to work this out?
Not sure what you are asking.

maj pentatonic uses the same chords as a normal maj scale.

Harmonic minor is essentially a minor scale, so you would use it over a minor chord progression.
as is melodic minor, blues and dorian.
Aeolian is just another word for the natural minor scale.

Mixolydian is essentially a major scale, so would be used over a major chord. It does however have a flat7 which occurs in a dominant chord, so you would use this scale over a dominant chord. eg C7, E9, G7

EDIT: in case you didn't realise how I know these scales are major/minor quality, it is the third degree. The third determines whether it is minor (flat third) or major.

eg.
Major scale formula
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
C, D, E, F, G, A, B

Minor Scale formula
1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7
C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb

Harmonic minor Scale Formula
1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, 7
C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, B

Dorian Formula
1, 2, b3, 4, 5, 6, b7
C, D, Eb, F, G, A, Bb

Mixolydian Formula
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, b7
C, D, E, F, G, A, Bb
Last edited by mdwallin at Dec 8, 2009,
For the pentatonic major, you're pretty safe with chords derived from the major scale. For the pentatonic minor, you're pretty safe with chords derived from the major scale.

If you know how to construct chords from the major and minor scale, then you know how to construct chords from the majority of other scales. So give it a go.
Quote by Nitro89
I understand a major key uses the major key chord progressions and the minor key uses the minor key chord progression, however, what chord progressions do the pentatonic major, pentatonic minor, pentatonic blues, harmonic minor, dorian, mixolydian and aeolian scales use?

Is there a formula to work this out?

Here is the knowledge you would need to have.

1. ability to write out the letters of every scale. Look at the scale formulae above - this is all based off of a major scale, and the modifications are listed. So, you should learn how to write out any major scale.

2. The ability to extract any chord simply by looking at the scale that youve written out. All scales have a number of chords located within them.

If you are not sure where or how to go about learning this, I teach this in my online lesson program, check out my link in my sig for my free seminar and demonstration.

Best,

Sean
You can work out the chords from a scale by learning to harmonise the scale by stacking 3rds - so for C Major

R 2 3 4 5 6 7 = C D E F G A B

So your first chord has C for the root
A 3rd above C is E
A 3rd above E is G
So your first chord is C E G
C to E is a Major 3rd, and E to G is a minor 3rd, so C E G gives you the chord C Maj

Your second chord has the second scale degree, D, for the root
A 3rd above D is F
A 3rd above F is A
So your first chord is D F A
D to F is a minor 3rd, and F to A is a Major 3rd, so D E F gives you the chord D min

Pentatonics and modes are based on the major scale, so if you understand them and can work out the chords to the major scale you are sorted. Then you can work out the chord scales for harmonic minor and melodic minor and other scales by stacking 3rds.