I'm going to by a new bridge position pickup to my ESP LTD MH-50. So i'm looking for a passive pickup with an affordable price. I play a lot of Metallica and i want pretty much the same sound as they have. So is EMG HZ H4 BK good? And how about SHADOW SH681?
does it need to be passive? both james and kirk use EMG 81 in the bridge, but its active.
A man, a woman, and a bad musician walk into a bar...

Lady GaGa orders a beer.
Check out the pickups at guitarfetish.com they have some good ones and for a single pickup you probably wont go over $30. Also here is a video of the pickups you mentioned. I couldnt find anything on the second pickup.

EMG HZ H4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-8UDwhD1-I
You don't want the HZ. Trust me.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
You don't want the HZ. Trust me.

But i assume that those are better than the original pickups of MH-50?
Last edited by In-Sane at Dec 8, 2009,
What amp are you running through?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by SlowTrain
does it need to be passive? both james and kirk use EMG 81 in the bridge, but its active.

How often do i need to replace the batteries? And is the battery clip hard to mount to
the guitar?
Quote by In-Sane
How often do i need to replace the batteries? And is the battery clip hard to mount to
the guitar?

I can't remember the exact hours but it's something like around six months, and that's if you leave your guitar plugged in 24/7.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
I can't remember the exact hours but it's something like around six months, and that's if you leave your guitar plugged in 24/7.

Oh i thought that i would need to replace the batteries like after two hours or something What kind of batteries do those pickups need? And i'm not using any guitar amp. I play through mixer and my 2-way speakers... And of course i have a distortion pedal between my guitar and mixer.
Quote by In-Sane
Oh i thought that i would need to replace the batteries like after two hours or something What kind of batteries do those pickups need? And i'm not using any guitar amp. I play through mixer and my 2-way speakers... And of course i have a distortion pedal between my guitar and mixer.

One 9v runs both pickups. Or can do the 18v mod and use two 9v's.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
if u buy a new emg, it comes with everything u need (minus the battery itself), no soldering.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
So EMG 81 is good pickup for sure? How much bass, treble and mid? At least it's not too expensive... Is there anything else from EMG you would recommend? Something with long sustain and lots of gain.
from what i read about the X series, it simply sounds like an 81 with an 18v mod, except it only needs 1 battery, but they are more expensive and may be harder to resell if u dont like it cause they are fairly new and unknown. people are always looking for 81s should u choose to ditch it.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
The 81X provides increased headroom giving the voicing an organic and open tone while still maintaining the clarity and response that EMG’s are renowned for. Utilizing powerful ceramic magnets and close aperture coils and powered by a newly designed preamp, the 81X shines with detailed intensity, incredible amounts of high end cut and fluid sustain. Traditionally used in the bridge position, this pickup will make your leads slice right through even the densest mix like a hot knife. When used in both positions the sound can only be described as blistering. Other recommended pairings include the 85X and the versatile 81X/60X combo. Give it a try and experience why the “X” factor is exciting players all around the world.

Straight from the website.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
from what i read about the X series, it simply sounds like an 81 with an 18v mod, except it only needs 1 battery, but they are more expensive and may be harder to resell if u dont like it cause they are fairly new and unknown. people are always looking for 81s should u choose to ditch it.

So what's the difference in tone?
Last edited by In-Sane at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by In-Sane
And i'm not using any guitar amp. I play through mixer and my 2-way speakers... And of course i have a distortion pedal between my guitar and mixer.
Right, then don't bother with active pickups because all they'll do is create a lot of extra background noise and sound horrendously sterile and flat.

I'm not going to start getting into full technical details but basically, active pickups are fine with a naturally high-gain all-valve amp for metal, or a very, very high quality solid state amp for jazz. Anything else and they're useless. Now I know some 14 year old with his first ESP is going to come in here and claim he gets wonderful blues tones out of his EMGs and a Marshall MG or some shite like that, but anyone with a working brain and ears know it's a load of bollocks. Active pickups were designed for the jazz market and it's by pure happy coincidence they worked out pretty well for metal too when used in a specific way. Which you're not doing.

If you're going to insist on not using an amp, the best thing for you to use is a very low output passive pickup with a high resonant peak - something like a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro will fit the bill properly. Then what you do is you use your pedals and suchlike properly to generate all the distortion and the distortion's waveform. A low output, high resonant peak passive pickup will ''mesh'' with your sort of rig far better than any high output pickup would, let alone an active pickup.

Secondly, the passive EMGs are a complete waste of time, simply don't bother with them.

Thirdly, no pickup change is going to suddenly give you some magic tone upgrade. Pickup changes are for tweaking your tone once you've got it roughly in the ballpark you want - if your tone isn't right now, a pickup change isn't going to do much for you, especially if you just run through a mixer and use lots of pedals. If you want to improve your tone you'll either need to learn how to set up your existing equipment to better achieve the tone you want (it may be something as simple as putting your pedal chain in a different order) or better yet, buy a suitable amp.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.