Ok, so i have some money and i want some effects. The problem is as follows.

I originally was going to buy an me50 from a friend unused, but then he kept it.
I play in an indie alt. band but myself play some rock and metal, and i wanted some effects or and multi fx to use for both. I was originally going to buy an ME from the tinterweb anyway, but then i realised that in months to come I WILL end up upgrading to individual pedals for various reasons, so have all but decided to go that far NOW.
The thing that attracted me to the me was the variety of shizzle on it for very little. Things such as the pedal, the delay and the compression (also the tuner was handy too), but im now worried that fro my budget (£200ish) i wont be able to buy enough pedals to get me anywhere for the imte being (i have no future financial prospects whatsoever).
I was looking at mainly a wah (vox v847?) delay, possibly an OD/DS (Tubescreamer? seen TS9 second hand for about £50 in the US) and possibly a couple more.
1) What cheap delay pedals are good? Ive seen loads of Behringer ones, line6 and also some Artec ones on eBay (and also a Japanese one which looks freaky). A boss one is out of price limit.
2) Tubescreamer?
3) People rate Vox wahs, and theyre pretty cheapish, is this a good idea?
4) should I ignore anything else and concentrate on getting bette wuality in the other 3? Does compression make that much of a differnece that it is neccessary?
Thanks
EDIT: also i should mention that i have a bugera 6262, which is fine apart from the crunch channel, which i feel is lacking a bit of depth or warmth to it (the classic rock tone is either under driven or muddy - dont flame me on this please ). Therefore i was hoping from what ive learned that the ts9 may help somewhat in this area, and will also double as a boost for some solos i do.
Proud Bugera User

Quote by Melodic_Rocker
Cameron's movies have the creativity and quality of a potato with chlamydia.

Quote by Absent Mind
Lady GaGa is rare but would you pay money for her?

-MD Les Paul
-Bugera 6262
-Laney 2x12
Last edited by ZzakK at Dec 8, 2009,
For a tubescreamer on a budget, go bad monkey. Don't know about delay pedals and as for 4), compression does make a difference, but it's not necessary. You might not even want a compressed sound.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I don`t really see the use of a compressor pedal. My friend bought one today and you hear the difference, but I don`t think it`s really necessary.
But you want a delay, a wah and a OD/DS?

1st of all, I wouldn`t go overall for Behringer stuff. Mostly not gig-worthy, though something as a stage-tuner would be fine for it.
Delay:
I have a Digitech Digidelay and it`s really good. Lot`s of different stuff and even a short looper. Also might take a lot at the Line6 (Though here in Holland it`s more even expensive than a Boss DD-3) Or stuff from EHX
Wah:
No experience here, I tried and bought the 535Q for about €180 but it wasn`t as good as I wanted it to be. Needed more.... prescense.
DS/OD
EHX LPB-1, I have it and it is a boost pedal but if you crank it up it`s a more than nice OD for me. I have a Digitech Hot Rod which is really versatible. From OD to Fuzz, with a disortion ofcourse in the middle and even a type of metal mid-scoop thing can be here with good settings. Take a look at the Digitech Distortion Factory Boss DS-1, OD-3 or else. The Tonelok series from Ibanez also can be good sometimes. Real-life experience was though only from the delay pedal of that series, which was quite good.

But my biggest tips:
Search on eBay and just try all damn things out!

I have a Korg AX1500G which I want to sell because I`m going for individual pedals too so.
Marshall Echohead for delay, Ive upgraded from my one since, but it was a great box for the cost.

Probably digitech bad monkey, but the digitech hardwire stuff gets great reviews. Maybe have a look at the hardwire overdrive.

The vox wah is okay, over-rated, but definitely better than the cry baby standard. Well it depends on what you're into, i find mine a bit weak for my needs, but for cleans its nice, subtle.

Compressors are great, i have the dyna comp, makes rhythm more full sounding, leads more smooth. Granted, it alters your tone quite a lot, some people don't like that in a compressor. I like the extra high end sparkle and thump in the low end.
Last edited by beckyjc at Dec 8, 2009,
Ok, so ive done a bit more digging, and i like the look of the EHX #1 delay, but in my local stores they only have the memory boy, so would trying out the memory boy be way different to the #1? also they have a memory man, would that be similar? Just so i can get an idea then buy on-line...
Second point, would the Vox v845 wah be worse than the v847 so much that its not worth saving the £20? and Ive heard the vox's aren't too good for overdrive/ distortions and are more clean oriented, contrary to my music taste...
Also I'm not too keen on the Marshall echo-head which i have tried.
Also, as for buying a NEW DS/OD, could i get some more warmth from my crunch by using a big Muff or just an standard boss OD?

Again, thanks (sorry im such a noob)
Proud Bugera User

Quote by Melodic_Rocker

Quote by Absent Mind

-MD Les Paul
-Bugera 6262
-Laney 2x12
Don't apologize, we've all been there. Anyone who hates on you for not being an instant encyclopedia is trying to cover their own inexperience and inadequacy.

My 847 sounds great overdriven. most people will tell you to put the overdrive after the wah which works fine for me.

What is your price range for all of these?
are you looking for analog or digital delay?
Try out both the big muff and ts-9, decent pedals
Edit: I hate the boss OD..
Last edited by denied at Dec 8, 2009,
Well, my price range is roughly £200 max, which was why i as looking mainly fr 2nd hand pedals i.e.e ebay etc.
Nothing at all on craigslist in the uk
I don't mind for delay, all i want is something with a reasonable variation (3 knobs should do) and a max delay of about 1000ms, so not much really. The EHX one looks good but i reckon i might end up getting a cheaper one from eBay (seen an artec one...).
Ive tried a TS9 and it was good, not tried a muff but might have to get one cos I'll have to ship the TS over from America (but at £50 it might save some money). Alternatively i've been looking locally for people who've made replica ones that are onslae as i guess they have the same stuff in them, im not fussy.
I don't care much for Boss OD's either but i have only tried 2.
EDIT: Any idea how much a pedal such as a tube screamer would take to ship? It'd be to Sheffield, England from Louisiana. Don't mind waiting, also don't want it recorded or super fast etc....
Proud Bugera User

Quote by Melodic_Rocker

Quote by Absent Mind

-MD Les Paul
-Bugera 6262
-Laney 2x12
Last edited by ZzakK at Dec 8, 2009,
You would probably want it registered in case it gets lost...which unfortunately happens reasonably often when shipping overseas.

So in a nutshell, digital delay is perfect replications, pretty dry and sterile sounding. I would recommend a DD-3.
Analog is imperfect and warmer sounding. If that what your into, Id recommend an AD9 or a memory boy/toy.
Im trying to cut costs and decided straight away a DD3 would be a bit too much. Is the EHX #1 analogue?
And also (regarding the memory boy and toy boy,) i don't like the sound (thanks to youtube) of the chorus or trem effect of the memory boy, is there some way of running it standard? (im guessing its on the expression pedal section but without a pedal attached?)
What is the effect on the toy boy? And, again, is there a standard mode?
Proud Bugera User

Quote by Melodic_Rocker

Quote by Absent Mind

-MD Les Paul
-Bugera 6262
-Laney 2x12
You can get a DD3 for 70ish on ebay.
the memory boy is 100 new. if you select the switch to the middle, you get neither vibrato nor chorus. the memory toy is 80 new, and there is an off select for modulation. I cant find either used on ebay at the moment. But again, you will only like these if your after analog.

Edit: The EHX #1 is digital delay
Last edited by denied at Dec 8, 2009,
why get a separate OD and compressor?

you can get some overdriven tones if you dial up most compressors. I suggest getting a dyna comp or my new obsession the pigtronix philosopher's tone. crack the output/drive/grit/whatever is on the pedal. I had a TS808 and sold it (wish i didn't for other reasons) because I got enough of the same tones by cranking my compressor.

the vox wah is sweet especially after doing a little modification. out of box it's a solid wah with a nice warm tone. but you can mod it to be exactly the wah you want. a little googling and forum searching and you should be able to find an in depth guides to get the exact wah tone you want out of it.

dyna comp + vox wah = roughly 160 USD (new)

take the remainder and get the digitech delay... the EHX #1 will be fine for you now.. but soon you'll realize it's meant to be an echo (as in the name) and you'll want more of a delay effect (which are different, especially depending who you ask)
Is there much of a difference between the V845 and 847?
Ive more or less decided on a TS (depending on how much i can steal one for) and then either a #1 or a DD3, depending onn my luck on eBay.
Thanks for all your help Denied
Proud Bugera User

Quote by Melodic_Rocker

Quote by Absent Mind

-MD Les Paul
-Bugera 6262
-Laney 2x12