so iv been practicing singing cuz i kinda wanna sing atleast alittle for the band im starting. but when im just singing to myself i sound ok but when i try and sing louder i sound like crap. is there anything i can do to help that? i want to sing normal and kinda scream, more jsut sing raspy then scream, any help with that either? thanks
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
thanks for the help blue
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
You're on a crash course to vocal damage, no matter how you look at it. However, if you must know, the best way for a raspy sound is to constrict your throat and use a lot of air. Experiment with the placement of the sound, too.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Black Star
You're on a crash course to vocal damage, no matter how you look at it. However, if you must know, the best way for a raspy sound is to constrict your throat and use a lot of air. Experiment with the placement of the sound, too.

This, kind of.

You definitely need to have a little bit of constriction, but the placement is more important. You need to find a place where you can make some rasp, but not have your throat hurt. I personally feel the breakup more in my head/mask area. If it's making your throat raw, you're doing it wrong.

I'm gonna assume for a second you play guitar; sorry if you don't. You know that really nice breakup tone when you turn an amp up really loud? It sounds more like overdrive than distortion. That's the kind of sound of your voice that isn't really going to hurt you in the long run if you do it correctly. On the other hand, you know super distorted, Metal Zone, fizzy pedal sounds? That's what your voice is going to sound like if you're making breakup in your throat. That kind of stuff, if done repeatedly, will hurt you.

I really do feel like if you have a comfortable placement, your voice will be fine for most sounds. In my band, we'll do everything from soft acoustic stuff, to Soundgarden covers, to hardcore punk a la Minor Threat or Aus-Rotten. Some of that stuff is pretty aggressive, and I feel like I've been able to do it comfortably and without so much as a sore throat since I learned some good placement and breath control.

With regards to placement, it sort of differs from person to person, I've learned. For me, I feel it where the "ng" sound is made. If you say the word "sing" and hold out the "ng," that's where I feel the placement for most of the sounds I make. It's pretty easy to manipulate tones, pronounce words, and produce some breakup when the voice is placed there.
for me.

singing was a stepping ladder.

focus on clean vocals.
then to raspy.
then to screams.

the clean vocals are your foundation.
the raspy / screams. are techniques after you get the other part down well enough.

if your hell bent on trying to get the raspy / screams now

use a mic and practice through a pa. you wont understand the actual amount you need to distort your voice if your just screaming in your room randomly.

so as embarrasing as it can be sometimes. work all the rough stuff over the pa.

if you dont like the way your voice sounds loud.

first practice in a pa. and record it. to hear where you are screwing up.

be honest with yourself about it.

it could be your trying to hit notes that arent in your vocal range.

summary.

1. practice with a pa and a mic.

2. record yourself and work on parts that are off.

3. dont strain. if your throat hurts stop and let it heal.

do vocal warmups everyday.
before you sing / scream songs.
after you sing / scream songs.

consider the throat a muscle like anything else. you have to work it out consistently to see improvement.