Page 1 of 2
I'm a left-handed player and was wondering whether a Jackson dinky DK2L or a schecter c-1 hellraiser would suit me better. I play many styles of METAL and only care if this guitar sounds good plaing METAL.

Note: I'll be playing it through a peavey vypyr 60 tube amp. And if you do choose the schecter, please pick what colour you think looks better: cherry red or white with a black headstock

Hmmm I like the white better. But I think what it basically comes down to is how important is the FR?
Well, I haven't played that jackson, but the one I have has a great neck. I really rec you try to play the Jackson so you can feel how wonderful the necks are.

Schecter makes a good cheap product, just don't strip all the paint off as you might not like what you see.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Anterior91
Hmmm I like the white better. But I think what it basically comes down to is how important is the FR?

yeah come to think of it i like the white better. it really doesnt matter much, worry about color last. play both of them and whichever feels right to you you should buy
Quote by ilovemylife
yeah come to think of it i like the white better. it really doesnt matter much, worry about color last. play both of them and whichever feels right to you you should buy

thats the problem...I live out in the middle of nowhere so the only music stores around are little small businesses and dont even carry jackson or schecter...so I cant try them out. I don't even care how it plays, just how well it sounds.
Quote by srob7001

Schecter makes a good cheap product, just don't strip all the paint off as you might not like what you see.

Depends on the model, typically bolt on guitars have the cheap wood

The Jackson guitars are nice, Schecters are nice, but so are ESP's
Try them all out honestly, get guitar with best resonation then
worry about changing pickups later
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
Quote by Anterior91
thats the problem...I live out in the middle of nowhere so the only music stores around are little small businesses and dont even carry jackson or schecter...so I cant try them out. I don't even care how it plays, just how well it sounds.

well by "how it plays" i ment the sound too. and those stores will probably order them for you if you're sure your gonna buy one.
Fellow lefty says Schecter C-1 all the way.

Jackson nice
ESP nicer
Schecter nicest
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
Fellow lefty says Schecter C-1 all the way.

Jackson nice
ESP nicer
Schecter nicest

I don't know about you, but I can make
ESP, Schecter and Jackson sound good

I do prefer Schecter though

Try a lot of guitars out in person to narrow down selection

Gain boost Switch
I've heard that the schecter does sound nicer than the jackson, but I think the jackson looks better...but I'd rather have a better sound than a better look
DINKY!!!!!!!!!!

My friend has had several bad experiances with Schecter, i wouldn't trust them.

EDIT: But that is just one guitar, so don't let that mess up your decision

I don't really know much about the Schecter though , but Dinky's are awsome guitars and have a sweet feel to them.
Last edited by Firering56 at Dec 8, 2009,
My friend had several very bad experiances with Schecter, i wouldn't trust them.QUOTE]

Oh? like what? (note: just asking out of curiosity)

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Firering56
My friend had several very bad experiances with Schecter, i wouldn't trust them.QUOTE]

Oh? like what? (note: just asking out of curiosity)

you probably won't believe this, but the Bride pickups wasn't "Plugged" (or saudered, how ever you want to put it) and soon after he had that fixed, knobs started falling off (but thats nothing too big) and soon after the nut wore a little bit on the A string and kept snapping the strings at the top.

he just gave up on shecter and went Dean.
Quote by Deadlock Riff

you probably won't believe this, but the Bride pickups wasn't "Plugged" (or saudered, how ever you want to put it) and soon after he had that fixed, knobs started falling off (but thats nothing too big) and soon after the nut wore a little bit on the A string and kept snapping the strings at the top.

he just gave up on shecter and went Dean.

Damn. That sucks ass. Not that this did't happen but there's always been a higher amount of compliments than complaints for Schecter compared to other companies.

P.S. its spelt soldered. sorry just had to correct that. lmao

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Firering56

Damn. That sucks ass. Not that this did't happen but there's always been a higher amount of compliments than complaints for Schecter compared to other companies.

P.S. its spelt soldered. sorry just had to correct that. lmao

Thx for the correction
Thanks guys, I'm pretty much sold on the schecter...now just gotta choose between the cherry finish and just the plain white....I've been contemplating this for months!
lol thanks man, I want to go with white too, but I'm afraid it just might stick out a little too much. Actually lol I don't think you can stick out too much when playing guitar. White it is! :P
Quote by Anterior91
lol thanks man, I want to go with white too, but I'm afraid it just might stick out a little too much. Actually lol I don't think you can stick out too much when playing guitar. White it is! :P

So when are you pplanning the purchase of the guitar?

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

I don't know how you could order a guitar that you have never played based of opinion only. I would find a way to play them both before I spend my hard earned cash on either.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Remember, try them both and just find a guitar that feels right.
A lot of people don't like Schecter necks, while others live by them so you need to find your spot.

Remember not to worry too much about sound because that can always be changed. (i.e. pick up swap)
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Eugh, I hate them both. But I suppose if your a lefty its gotta be either.

I can't understand why lefties still go, they get given usually poorly made guitars to modify or really expensive custom guitars to save for years for.

One simple reason.

We rock your world!!!

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

You're a lefty?

The Hellraiser doesn't come in white as a left handed model. You have to get it in the Black Cherry (Red) version. I had the same problem. It's an unfortunate circumstance.

I never played the Jackson Dinky, but I'd go with a Schecter, seeing as how I love mine.
Quote by JP Oliver
You're a lefty?

The Hellraiser doesn't come in white as a left handed model. You have to get it in the Black Cherry (Red) version. I had the same problem. It's an unfortunate circumstance.

I never played the Jackson Dinky, but I'd go with a Schecter, seeing as how I love mine.

Yeah im a lefty. and a rare one at that based on my known preferences.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Schecter might look nice and have nice specs, but please, do NOT look under the hood, because you are going to cry your eyes out. The great specs and the low price make it inevitable that they use the biggest crap to built their bodies and necks.

Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Schecter might look nice and have nice specs, but please, do NOT look under the hood, because you are going to cry your eyes out.

With low end guitars it is always hit and miss on what you get. With a good
amp I don't think you are going to notice any major tonal flaws. I do recall testing
out 3 guitars of the same model in a music store and noticed that they didn't
all sound the same. Turned out I liked the 2nd guitar so much better, I ended
up picking it I'd like to think you'll find knots on the guitars under $600
I know some wood types are known for having more knots than others, thus
making it harder to not find knots on the wood ply

Gain boost Switch
Quote by LP_CL
Schecter might look nice and have nice specs, but please, do NOT look under the hood, because you are going to cry your eyes out. The great specs and the low price make it inevitable that they use the biggest crap to built their bodies and necks.

may just be that one guitar . . . . .
you know, there may be several high end guitars (any make), just as bad as that, don't judge off 1 guitar . . .
Last edited by Rapter-paul at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by Rapter-paul
may just be that one guitar . . . . .
you know, there may several high end guitars (any make), just as bad as that, don't judge off 1 guitar . . .

I am willing to bet that if they have let a knot like that go on one guitar, they have done it to many.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I have the Schecer C-1FR and love it. the neck feels really good. i havent had a a single problem wth it
Quote by srob7001
I am willing to bet that if they have let a knot like that go on one guitar, they have done it to many.

have you taken paint off a cheap LTD model?

least on the $600 models from Schecter you can see the wood in the back
and sides to determine if you have knots which I haven't seen any

Least on "Mahogany" wood

Gain boost Switch
Last edited by xDarrellx87x at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by xDarrellx87x
have you taken paint off a cheap LTD model?

least on the $600 models from Schecter you can see the wood in the back
and sides to determine if you have knots which I haven't seen any

Least on "Mahogany" wood

No I haven't, but your key word in that question was CHEAP.

If you buy a cheap guitar, expect a cheap product. Simple as that.

You get what you pay for, no matter how nice it may look on the outside.

Also, I had a cheap 300.00 LTD that had a flamed maple top and you could see that there were no knots on the back of the guitar, that doesn't mean they are not in the wood....you just can't see them. There could easily be a knot on the top side that is covered by the flamed top.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Definitely the hellraiser. I think the black cherry can be extremely eye catching but the white can look really classy.
Page 1 of 2