I'm looking for some sort of tube amp that would be good for metal. I want a tube amp that has a low wattage, I'm not looking for 60 or 100 watts, that's too much. I mainly just want to record with it, I want to be able to crank it, but I don't want to go deaf.

Any recommendations for a tube amp that has a lower wattage? Even 5 watts would be good.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: sorry I changed the title. I know that pretty much every tube amp is going to be loud. But I just would rather a tube amp thats not AS loud as others. I'm not looking to gig with it.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
Last edited by j37h307 at Dec 8, 2009,
To crank? A 5 watt valve amp will still be loud as hell if you crank it. You'd be looking more for a 1/4 watt or something for it to be manageable. To be honest though, you'd be better off with a nice modelling amp. A Vetta or Flextone or something?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
The Krank Rev. Jr. might be good for what you need even though it's a hybrid (I think)

If not you could get a Blackheart

edit: look for an amp with wattage controls, that way you can turn volume up for tone and then control overall volume with the power controls.
No means maybe
Last edited by pilgrimevan at Dec 8, 2009,
Vox VT30 Valvetronix. my friend has one and it is good!
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
Quote by britishsligean
blackstar ht-5 it's headphone out is also a line out so it's easy to record with

It's easy if you want it to sound like crap.

BEHOLD!

http://zvexamps.com/amp_view.html

The Zvex nano head. Coming in at a whopping 1/2 watt. But it still sounds better than any amp 10 watts or less I've heard.

The Egnater Rebel is also another option.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Vox AC4TV .

There's also the Blues Junior, Fender Champion 600, Peavy Classic 30, Marshall Class 5/Haze.

Also, check out some boutique dealers, you never know what you'll find.

Try Ceriatone also, they have a few small wattage clones out.
A Champ 600 won't do metal, trust me I have one not with its 6in speaker it won't unless you plug it into a cab but then its still not voiced for it. I'd look into that new Vox Nightrain or whatever its called, the Blckstars or Marshall Class 5 (I have that one on order)
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Hey that Nano head looks f**kin awesome!! I'm definatly going to look into that and see if theirs any way I can try it out. That new VOX Nighttrain looks cool too. Thanks for all your help. Any more recommendations are welcome.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
AC4TV looks really cool, 4 watts, 1 watt, or 1/4 watt settings, that's about the lowest wattage you'll get.

Also the 1 Watt BlackHeart Giant Ant might be good for you also.

I'm sure 1 watt will still get plenty loud though, I've played a 5watt Valve Junior cranked and it was literally shaking shelves and shit.

Personally the Zvex nano looks more is more of a novelty than an amp, and I'm pretty sure they are still very expensive for what they are.
Quote by lildude_6859
Vox VT30 Valvetronix. my friend has one and it is good!

This.
^The AC4 is cool for getting cranked vintage tones, but remember it's not voiced for metal. How many metal bands do you see with AC30's etc?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Can I suggest, if youre looking only to record, get an amp that you like and just build an Iso box for it, that way you can crank it it you have to / want to.
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
orange tiny terror

He wins. After hearing all the demos from all the amps you listed, I have to say that the Orange Tiny Terror is my favorite. Sounds like it has the most drive. and a lot of places around me have them in stock too, so I can go try em out. I got a whole plan. I'll save up for this (or should I buy it right now? lol), keep it at my mothers place until I get myself an attanuator, then bring it home. I just love that tone!... At least, from what I heard.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1