Some of you may remember my other thread about a week back, anywho...

I got a Gibson explorer running through a vox vt50 and I cannot get a decent gain tone. Check this out.

I know the quality's crap (cheap webcam mics ftw) but the real thing doesn't sound far off. Even changing the EQs or amp model (its a modeling amp) doesn't change the sound that much.

So what's wrong here (apart from my horrible playing obviously), maybe I need a pedal to get the tone i'm after? though i still don't think it should sound like that tbh...
You need a better amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
New Amp time for you
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
turn up the highs and the mids on your amp, that might help. with a new amp, you REALLY have to mess around to get the tone you want. sit down for like an hour comparing the two tones. you should get the right one pretty quickly.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
your guitar maybe??
I have th vox ad15vt, and I get loads and different tones, great cleans, nice heavy tones, cleans work great with the chorus reverb, I can get almost any sound I want . . .
it might be just "that" amp you have, somthing wrong with it prehaps?
I tried my bridge PU for rhythm parts (which i hear they're generally good for) and it sounds awful! Something must definitely be wrong, I got the guitar second hand, maybe the PUs aren't the stock 496t and 500r...man i'm running out of ideas...bad wiring or cabling perhaps?
I have the same amp and can get a much better distortion than that. Tell me your settings, gain, and model you have for your settings.
Eugh, I can't remember exactlywhat settings I used for that clip...UK modern, scooped mids, high treble and bass, gain at about 2 o'clock. Can you give me some settings you use to get a good distortion?
Quote by Wustenfuchs
I tried my bridge PU for rhythm parts (which i hear they're generally good for) and it sounds awful! Something must definitely be wrong, I got the guitar second hand, maybe the PUs aren't the stock 496t and 500r...man i'm running out of ideas...bad wiring or cabling perhaps?

you just ignored 4 posts telling you your amp is most likely to blame.

kindly remove your head from your ass thx
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
if your amp is under warranty take it back to the shop
if you bought it online, more the fool you
seriously though, sounds like your amp is buggered, my 15 watt version is kickass!
either new amp, or if under warranty at a shop (online would probably cost a fair bit to send back ect . . .) take it back, either do a exchange for a new version of the same amp, or repair
if not under warranty, just ask them to see what is wrong, and how much it could cost for them to fix it, I'm sure they'll give it a look over for no charge
Wrong amp model.

Metallica = Metal amps.

UK Modern is not a metal amp.
Well, high treble and bass + scooped mids is generally bad. Why don't you try lowering the bass just a tad and upping the mids. A pinch more treble also wouldn't hurt. The tone you're after sounds a bit more middy and trebley. Also stacking an inexpensive overdrive pedal with the level around 3-4oclock and the drive all the way off on top of your your amp distortion might help. I do this and it makes the even the looser mesa model on the amp very tight and powerful sounding. (amp gain must be turned lower to make up for all the extra gain from the pedal though).
Quote by sfx
Wrong amp model.

Metallica = Metal amps.

UK Modern is not a metal amp.

The newer valvetronix UK Modern is modeled after a JVM. That is the tightest and most distorted model on the newer VT line.
technique might help, learn to palm mute. also, make sure the tone knob on the guitar is up, and less bass on the amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Summing up the thread, get a new amp which is actually better suitable for high-gain metal. Other than that learn to EQ your amp better and learn palm mutes, you should already know how to do them if you play metal.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
USe the bridge pickup, Middle pu will sound like crap. UK80's is a great model to use. Back off the gain and bass a bit.
New speaker maybe. And I know it's kind of obvious, but how old are the strings on your guitar?

The newer VTs should be fine for metal. Even the older ones were pretty good on the JCM2000 setting.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
And I know it's kind of obvious, but how old are the strings on your guitar?

I was about to ask that, strings do get muddier over time.
don't know how old the strings are, got the guitar recently second hand so I guess I'll try replacing the strings
Yeah, I had a problem with the "Pickups" on my Dad's Epiphone Dot. Even through a really bright amp they sounded really muddy. Then I changed the strings...
Dude, seriously, to be blunt, it's time for a new amp if you don't like your tone.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I never found the Vox VTs suited to metal. When I tried one, it was good for pretty much every genre except metal. The only metal it could play was maybe the much earlier metal e.g. Sabbath, Led Zep, Deep Purple.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
He doesnt NEED a new amp.

The tone on your getting actually doesn't sound to bad for this amp. Use the bridge pickup, and roll back the bass a little. Most of the tone issues sound like bad technique to me.

Don't put an overdrive pedal in front of this. It doesn't need one, and will sound like crap into this amp anyways.
Wow, tune your guitar first. Turn up the mids and turn the bass WWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY down. That's a start. Learn how to EQ and play guitar before you start worrying about new gear.
Quote by denied

Don't put an overdrive pedal in front of this. It doesn't need one, and will sound like crap into this amp anyways.

This isn't true. Using an overdrive as a boost on these amps is a very good idea, and works very well.
DO you still have the stock pickups in that explorer? Or did you swap them for EMG's? If you did, check the battery. If you didn't swap them out, check your cables and wiring. If that isn't the case, your amp is FUBAR.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Sounds to me like an EG'ing issue and just the completly wrong type of distortion. If your using the amps distortion then you'll never acheive that kind of tone, what I would reccomend is using a distortion pedal over the clean channel, and if you need more gain then boost the distortion pedal with a OD pedal. I play on a Valveking and I get decent metal tones out of it using a Boss Ds-1, so no reason you cant get close to that tone with a Vox. But I would reccomend the Hardwire TL-2 for starters, decent pedal with alot of clean heavy gain, and I would EQ some of the bass out and EQ more mids in, mids are your best friend, never ever scoop the mids, nobody scoops their mids, not even metal artists, cause if they did it would never cut through the mix, and sound really hollow, they might scoop the mids on the amp but the boost them in the pedals or through the mixer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, check out the Tone Testing Thread V2 for more advice.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Dec 10, 2009,
Jesus, anyone who listened to the OP's clip should be able to tell that his amp is set with no mids, bass and treble at 10, gain at 10. That's a ****ing given. And it's clear the kid can't play guitar very well.

And you all suggest a new amp? He'd sound that way through a ****ing Engl Savage, too.

Quote by denied
No.

I use the 15 watt version of this as a practice amp and get horrible tone out of ANY OD/dist.

Really? Because I use the 50 watt version and get great tone out of a BOOOOOOST. Gain 0, level 10. No added gain. It cuts the bass and adds clarity, just like boosting any other amp.
Quote by denied
He doesnt NEED a new amp.

The tone on your getting actually doesn't sound to bad for this amp. Use the bridge pickup, and roll back the bass a little. Most of the tone issues sound like bad technique to me.

a OD pedal is handy for switching back and forth unless he has a footswitch for the amp. other than that, touche!
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
Quote by ethan_hanus
Oh dear lord, thats not good, not much we can help with then, other than tell him to get a new amp.

As in..using an od with the valveking described in the post above mine is a great idea. Using it on this amp, not gonna get the best tone.

Really? Because I use the 50 watt version and get great tone out of a BOOOOOOST. Gain 0, level 10. No added gain. It cuts the bass and adds clarity, just like boosting any other amp.

Yeah, that could work. I got so sick of people suggesting more drive that I didn't read closely enough.