Poll: So?
Poll Options
View poll results: So?
Yes
91 88%
No
13 13%
Voters: 104.
Artists don't get alot of money for their albums.
Albums are ridicolously overpriced.
Unrecouped bands get treated like Shat.
Endless bitching that home-taping.. umm mp3s kill the Industry.
Only shit that sells gets signed.
Indie labels can't afford to sign alot of artists.

I'm kinda fed up with everything.
The labels/consumers need new attitudes.
Your opinion?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Last edited by Dawnwalker at Dec 8, 2009,
yeea the music industry is pretty bad... but all those starving children and homeless people can just go to hell, we don't have to do anything about that
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
It's an industry, It exists to make money for itself, and not for the pathetic humans who actually make what it peddles.
ehn in what retrospect?
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by michal23
Indie labels are the way forward, if people actually bother buying the music.

No they're not. They have an increased share of the market due to digital distribution, but they still lack the marketing power that major labels have. And an indie label isn't some pure, altruistic firm. They could be far better than major labels, but they can also be far worse.
Who cares about the music industry any more? It doesn't even need to exist. At least not on the scale that it does.
Quote by Dawnwalker

Illegally download.

Illegally download.
Unrecouped bands get treated like Shat.

wat
Endless bitching that home-taping.. umm mp3s kill the Industry.

So?
Only shit that sells gets signed.

Fucking duh.
Indie labels can't afford to sign alot of artists.

Don't be indie.

I'm kinda fed up with everything.
The industry/consumer need new attitudes.
Your opinion?

Hell no.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Last edited by brandon369852 at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by brandon369852

wat

If you are an unrecouped band you basically don't get any of the money from your album sales because the label requires you to pay them back. However they don't allow you to pay them back from the 90% cut they take from each of your sales, they require you to pay them back from your 10%.

http://gizmodo.com/5417318/my-6247-royalty-statement-how-major-labels-cook-the-books-with-digital-downloads
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Emphasis on SHIT.

Also, I like black.

Quote by Dawnwalker

There's a problem with your thinking...
I think, and this is basically based on my thoughts alone and barely any facts, that music for once is coming alive again. Not with the same force and with as a refreshing breath of air as in the 50-60's... But think of it. Back then far from everyone got signed, only the best.. As music grew with these artists more recordlabels were started. And for a recordlabel to get around they obviously have to sell something. And as this proceeded with more and more recordlabels coming, more and more shit were being produced, so of course people would stop buying music.. Who would want to pay 20 bucks and end up with some shit with maybe one good song. HOWEVER!... Theres always been people involved in music for $$$ since there's lots of money to be made.. But I would say that theres more of these bands and artists today, than it was 30+ years ago. And this, in my opinion, ruins the musicindustry; the musicindustry has become an industry (this sounds weird.. Oh well..).

Conclusion: People who thinks of becoming famous and rich will probably rethink their choices today, since there's no money (only that it's alot of money, just not as much as before). And with the help of internet, music is everywhere and the community is probably bigger than ever.. So therefor I would think people will start making music because they like it, not because of the cash.

And that's my essay about music. Thank you.

tl;dr:
People once again does music for the sake of music, not for the sake of getting rich.

edit: Just noticed I generalize alot.. When I say all and everybody, and such, obviously I don't mean all and everybody.
Gear:
Some sort of guitar, of some sort.
Another one
Big amp
Small amp
A pedal
A pedal again
Some kind of box that goes into the computer.. Haven't figured out its function yet.
Last edited by lutfish at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
If you are an unrecouped band you basically don't get any of the money from your album sales because the label requires you to pay them back. However they don't allow you to pay them back from the 90% cut they take from each of your sales, they require you to pay them back from your 10%.

http://gizmodo.com/5417318/my-6247-royalty-statement-how-major-labels-cook-the-books-with-digital-downloads

Don't sign onto a major record label? I don't know enough about it.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by Dawnwalker
Emphasis on SHIT.

It obviously isn't shit or it wouldn't sell.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by Ur all $h1t

That's because the label offers an advance at first to cover all expenses. Then the artist has to sell enough records to first refund the advance before any more royalty income goes to him.
I agree with this whole stopping illegal downloads thing.
But what's the problem with bad quality mp3s??? If people are too stupid to listen to the music properly, that's their loss, right? (unless it's bad cos it's been illegaly downloade...)

What I really don't get though is this whole "sell-out" "commercial" "shit that sells" idea. "Commercial" means popular to most people. If music's good then most people will buy it, so the artist becomes succesful...isn't that how it should work. Isn't being well known a sign of success??? (provided you haven't got there by some stupid advertising or 'X-factor' type thing).

If a band you really like isn't getting anywhere doesn't that just mean you may have quite unique tastes???
Last edited by EJW at Dec 8, 2009,
Shit aimed at a target group actually sells, you'd be surprised.

Also, I like black.

Quote by Dawnwalker
Shit aimed at a target group actually sells, you'd be surprised.

That target group obviously doesn't think it's shit or they wouldn't buy it. You'd be surprised by the amount of opinions there are in the world.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by MangoStarr
yeea the music industry is pretty bad... but all those starving children and homeless people can just go to hell, we don't have to do anything about that

Wayyyy off topic...

Yeah the music industry is screwed up. So much that fans are getting sued for thousands and thousands of dollars for "illegal downloading" while many bands aren't even against downloading. Bands get a few cents an album sale so you cant tell me that's why they aren't making any money off of record sales. 14 dollars in store. Probably sold to the store for what, 10 dollars? Then the individual gets 25 cents a record sold?
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Last edited by dez_cole at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi
That's because the label offers an advance at first to cover all expenses. Then the artist has to sell enough records to first refund the advance before any more royalty income goes to him.

Except that the greed displayed by the record company is unbelievable. They would have refunded their advance 9 times over before the record company acknowledges that they have.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I've been studying music business this semester and I can tell you that there are more ways for an artist to get screwed over then make a decent living off of their music. This system is very unfair.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Quote by michal23

+1000000000

Generally speaking, at least. They know how it's done, aren't even a fraction as restrictive with their bands, aren't as money-orientated, and the types of music coming from them is growing in popularity by the day.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by EJW
I agree with this whole stopping illegal downloads thing.
But what's the problem with bad quality mp3s??? If people are too stupid to listen to the music properly, that's their loss, right? (unless it's bad cos it's been illegaly downloade...)

What I really don't get though is this whole "sell-out" "commercial" "shit that sells" idea. "Commercial" means popular to most people. If music's good then most people will buy it, so the artist becomes succesful...isn't that how it should work. Isn't being well known a sign of success??? (provided you haven't got there by some stupid advertising or 'X-factor' type thing).

If a band you really like isn't getting anywhere doesn't that just mean you may have quite unique tastes???

Not always.

There's an inherent flaw in the way that many labels scout for artists these days. Because of the volume of demos they get, they need to be less permeable to access. So now most labels require the referral and recommendations of lawyers who "shop demos". The problem is that a lot of lawyers have crappy taste in music.
Quote by dez_cole
Wayyyy off topic...

Yeah the music industry is screwed up. So much that fans are getting sued for thousands and thousands of dollars for "illegal downloading" while many bands aren't even against downloading. Bands get a few cents an album sale so you cant tell me that's why they aren't making any money off of record sales. 14 dollars in store. Probably sold to the store for what, 10 dollars? Then the individual gets 25 cents a record sold?

Let's say you are a band and you sign to a major label. They give you $100,000 to record an album, promote the album, etc. When the album hits stores, most artists are lucky to see 10% of the profit, then 20% of that (2%) goes to their manager and other people get a certain percentage too. You'll be lucky to make 4% per album... And that has to be split among the band members! But here's the real kicker: The record company keeps your 10% until the album sells enough copies to make back the $100,000 they spent to make it. If you don't recoup, you don't get paid. And this is very standard procedure.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Last edited by PaperStSoapCo at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Except that the greed displayed by the record company is unbelievable. They would have refunded their advance 9 times over before the record company acknowledges that they have.

Well the record company is greedy sure, but I'm willing to bet that this guy wasn't careful when he signed the contract.
Time to delete the internet.
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well the record company is greedy sure, but I'm willing to bet that this guy wasn't careful when he signed the contract.

Which would be a valid point if it weren't for the massive disparity in power between the two parties in the contract.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
If you view music as an art, maybe you should stop caring so much about the business aspect of it.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
If you view music as an art, maybe you should stop caring so much about the business aspect of it.

I care about the people who never get exposure due to the industry.

Also, I like black.

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Let's say you are a band and you sign to a major label. They give you $100,000 to record an album, promote the album, etc. When the album hits stores, most artists are lucky to see 10% of the profit, then 20% of that (2%) goes to their manager and other people get a certain percentage too. You'll be lucky to make 4% per album... And that has to be split among the band members! But here's the real kicker: The record company keeps your 10% until the album sells enough copies to make back the $100,000 they spent to make it. If you don't recoup, you don't get paid. And this is very standard procedure.

I would like you to explain a bit more in depth and provide some citations.

Edit: I'm not trying to make you look bad. I am just interested in this and want to make sure i am getting correct/accurate info.

maybe a link to where i could read about this specific info. Because this is probably the exact info i should be reading.
Last edited by dez_cole at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by michal23

This is what I was gonna say. And yes, I also buy music. Goddamn Itunes ruining CDs (although I DO have an Ipod... still I hate downloading)
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Quote by dez_cole
I would like you to explain a bit more in depth and provide some citations.

Edit: I'm not trying to make you look bad. I am just interested in this and want to make sure i am getting correct/accurate info.

All You Need To Know About The Music Business (6th Edition) by Donald S. Passman

It's basically been our text book in my Music Business class. 7th Edition should have come out last month. It's a good read. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the topic.
Quote by Article

Last edited by PaperStSoapCo at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
All You Need To Know About The Music Business (6th Edition) by Donald S. Passman

It's basically been our text book in my Music Business class. 7th Edition should have come out last month.

Thank you!
Quote by touji-za-nai

Music is an art, it is also a way to make money. 99% of people in the music industry wouldn't do it if they never got a dime for it... (then again, half the people in the music industry are disney robots and unimaginative commercial rap)
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones