So, I'm getting a new guitar.
It's definitly a Schecter Damien.
But, the issue is, I cannot decide which version to get.
Either a 6-string or a 7-string version.
Mind you i'm not getting a FR model.
If someone could give me the pros and cons of each, it'd help me decide which one to get.
Examples of what I play: Trivium, Metallica, Children of Bodom, Killswitch Engage, Slipknot.. So mostly metal-esque music.
The reason I'd stretch for a 7-string is because I'd really like to be able to play deep stuff without downtuning a 6-string so low that it becomes muddy and the tone decreases dramatically, and the tuning stability is terrible, sometimes.
I would want a 7-string so I could play stuff like Korn, Shogun album Trivium, Suicide Silence, Five Finger Death Punch, Nevermore, etc..
The 7-string version of the Schecter Damien runs about $50 US more than the 6-string version, so about 450 for a 7, and 400 for a 6.
Wondering if it's worth it for the extended range, advice from players with experience with 7-strings would be extremely helpful.

EDIT: I should have probably mentioned this. My only other functioning six string is a Epiphone SG Special. So, I do not have a very good six string to begin with.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Dec 8, 2009,
if you already have a good six string, then definitely go with the seven string, as those are always good to have, and damn fun as well.
Quote by theogonia777
if you already have a good six string, then definitely go with the seven string, as those are always good to have, and damn fun as well.

I don't have a good six string, sadly. ):
My only (functioning) six string is an Epiphone SG Special, so definitly not a good guitar..
Should I still go for the 7?
Tuning a 6-string down to B - as long as you use heavier strings - will be fine. But you will have to drop all the strings down in turn, which is not what Trivum do.

The only differences that I can tell are the necks: The 7-string version has a slightly longer neck to increase the tension of the low B; the 6-string Damien has a 25.5 neck, while the 7-string has a 26.5 - a commonality for Schecter.

My personal suggestion would be to get the 7 string. You get everything the six string offers, but an extra string. I've played them both, and the only difference between them, is the neck. I don't like Schecter 7-string necks that much (bar a few of their higher-priced models) but that's just me.

If you can try them both yourself.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Dec 8, 2009,
Go for a 7, you've listed a bunch of advantages, I dont really see any disadvantages.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Sounds awesome, totally gonna get the 7-string then.

Now, on the note of the longer scale neck, does it affect playing it at all?
Because obviously it's a difference from normal six-string scale length.
It tightens up the low B, helps stop muddyness.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Ok well that was the only problem I had with lower tunings, so if that fixes it with the 7-string model, that's perfect.
I have no reason not to get the 7-string then.
Thanks ^.^