I need some help buying pickups. I just bought THIS and i need to know wether i NEED f-spaced pickups or not, because im upgrading them.
Dimarzio X2n In the Bridge(No F-Space Option)
Dimarzio Tone Zone In the Neck(Can be Regular or F-Spaced)
Between those will be some kinda start pickup. Probably this(exept im choosing the one for the Neck/Middle)(though it may be too powerful...U tell me)
So will this Work? And will having a strat pickup with lower outputs than the other two make everything sound bad?
Another Thing, Does using Chrome Tops Change the sound or just look awesome.
And ask me any other questions if needed.
ALL help is appreciated.
You're going to need F-spaces, your guitar has a trem.

I'd suggest you use the same pickups from the same artist or whatnot, like Steve Vai's pickups.

And no, Chrome Tops don't change the sound, but the certainly change the price.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
first of all, the X2N is VERY high output, so you might want to look at something else if you want more note definition. and the hot rails i wouldn't get, because its basically a single coil-sized humbucker, and it would be pointless having three humbuckers. get a dimarzio chopper or something instead. and f-spaced means that the poles on the pickups are spaced out a bit more, which fits better on fenders and floyd rose equipped guitars. the reason the X2N doesnt have the option is because it doesnt have pole pieces, just those bars that run through.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Okay, thanx both of you. I'm starting to understand things more.
So maybe a Crunch Lab would be a better choice?
And im not at fan of the chooper...so no...
Any other Suggestions for a strat pickup?
EDIT:Would a crunch lab be for soloing or something?
Someone tell me a nice F-spaced pickup that Has HIGH gain but still has definition, if the cruch lab wont do it?
I play 80% Thrash and 20% other MEtal
Last edited by Chuk the Dragon at Dec 8, 2009,
hmm, what amp are you using? the crunch lab is a good bridge pickup for rhythm. its a john petrucci signature pickup, so if you like the dream theater distorted rhythm sound, then the crunch lab would be a good choice. for thrash, the d activator's are not bad, and the super 3 is good if you want reduced treble
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I have a line 6 Spider III 15-wat And im nto upgrading anytime soon.
Not really into Dream Theator. But the D activators sound good, I'll go with the D-A-X.
And I love treble. Is there a reason i might want less treble? The Daxs keep saying they aree Universal for regular spaceing and f-spacing and when i got to shop for they the option are Different COlros In regualr fit? Because its universal i just click Regular fir , right? Another Thing...Some of them have the Two magnetic bars and some have the Metal dots (poles, right?) Can some one lead me to an ALL black DAX bridge, With the metal bars? Anyways all thats left is the Strat Pickup. I still cant find anything suitable. I'm open to suggestions. Hot rails would appearently Suck and ive already shot down the chopper. So yeah...
You're going to need a new amp in order to take full advantage of those pickups. They're not going to really change anything.

If it were me, I'd replace the amp, then the pickups. Tone priorities, mate.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
1. Pickup covers reduce the treble of the pickups.

2. Only your bridge needs F-spaced pickups. Your neck don't need F spacing.

3. There'll only be a slight improvement to your tone from a pickup change as modelling amps tend to remove the nuances of pickups.

4. The D Activator X is a very dark pickup. If you want treble, take the D Activator instead.

5. The D Activator is a high gain pickup with good definition. An alternative is the DiMarzio Super 2, which also has great definition.

6. The standard D Activators Xs come in black with black metal blades.

7. What is your guitar tone wood? What are your reference bands?

8. Change your amp first.

9. Your thread is a mess. Try to chunk you ideas together in paragraphs. I'm having difficulty following your train of though, which makes it hard to give recommendations.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 8, 2009,
well............crap. D-Activators It is then. Kinda Like the looks of the Dax tho-but looks arnt everything.

The Guitar is made of Base Wood.

And reference bands...Slayer, Early Testament, Early Metallica, Exodus, Megadeth, Cannible Corpse(umm....that may throw everything off) What I liek to play is thrash, thrash, And more thrash...pretty much any early thrash band you can think of.

I'm going to upgrade my guitar first. The advice given is probably better than what i plan to do. But for certain reasons I'm doing the Guitar First.

Now for the strat pickup, And it dosnt have to be a dimarzio, but it can be.

Quick Recemondation, What Amp Should I buy? Lets say my future Amp budget will be around 300$(or maybe i need to save more?), what would you recomend? And 2 distortion pedals. Or maybe one....
I really have no clue when it comes to effects. My line 6 had what i needed at the time so i never bothered learning about it. Make a recomendation and ill do my own research, Head to guitar center and do what i need to do.

And A BIG Thank you to everyone who posted here. I'm learning a lot, really.
Quote by Chuk the Dragon
well............crap. D-Activators It is then. Kinda Like the looks of the Dax tho-but looks arnt everything.

The Guitar is made of Base Wood.

And reference bands...Slayer, Early Testament, Early Metallica, Exodus, Megadeth, Cannible Corpse(umm....that may throw everything off) What I liek to play is thrash, thrash, And more thrash...pretty much any early thrash band you can think of.

I'm going to upgrade my guitar first. The advice given is probably better than what i plan to do. But for certain reasons I'm doing the Guitar First.

Now for the strat pickup, And it dosnt have to be a dimarzio, but it can be.

Quick Recemondation, What Amp Should I buy? Lets say my future Amp budget will be around 300$(or maybe i need to save more?), what would you recomend? And 2 distortion pedals. Or maybe one....
I really have no clue when it comes to effects. My line 6 had what i needed at the time so i never bothered learning about it. Make a recomendation and ill do my own research, Head to guitar center and do what i need to do.

And A BIG Thank you to everyone who posted here. I'm learning a lot, really.

At least you're starting to write in a format that doesn't give me a headache... so that's a massive improvement in my books.

Now you are planning to buy the Ibanez? Yes or No?

Will you be upgrading those pickups?

I can't really recommend anything for the strat as my experience tends to be more with humbuckers.

Also... at 300... what are you looking for? If you can stretch a little you can consider...

Modelling flexibility = used Flextone or a Vox Valvetronix
Tubes = Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
The Ibanez is already bought, its being brought down to my local Guitar Center to pick up.

Yes I'm Upgrading The pickups. I may just leave the strat pickup alone for a while.

I could expand the budget. But what do i do with tubes?

I just looked at the Valvetronix 50 wat. It sound like I could have fun with it.

And incase anyone was wondering, I'm clueless. Thats why I joined this community, to learn, and advance in my musical journey.
Quote by Chuk the Dragon
The Ibanez is already bought, its being brought down to my local Guitar Center to pick up.

Yes I'm Upgrading The pickups. I may just leave the strat pickup alone for a while.

I could expand the budget. But what do i do with tubes?

I just looked at the Valvetronix 50 wat. It sound like I could have fun with it.

And incase anyone was wondering, I'm clueless. Thats why I joined this community, to learn, and advance in my musical journey.

Ok... there are 4 general kinds of amps...

Tube amps: use vacuum preamp and power tubes to amplify your guitar signal
Digital modellers: like the Spiders and Valvetronix, which convert your signals to 1s and 0s to process into a variety of sounds.
Solidstates: These use transistors to amplify your guitar signal
hybrids: these use a combination of the above 3 to amplify your signal.

UG loves tube amps for that warm tubey sound.

When you use a digital modeller like the Valvetronix, your pickup change don't really translate into the final sound after all the digital processing.

If you want a good significant change to your tone from a pickup change... try to go for tube amps.

To know what pickups to recommends... give me some reference tones you want to sound like.

The Peavey Vypyr and Vox Valvetronix are pretty good modelling amps.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by slashe50
You're going to need F-spaces, your guitar has a trem.

I'd suggest you use the same pickups from the same artist or whatnot, like Steve Vai's pickups.

And no, Chrome Tops don't change the sound, but the certainly change the price.

dude... let me tell you. Chrome tops have a big effect on tone. You get less gain and output with covered pickups.

And the whole F-space thing is a marketing gimmick. You don't need it. If you're not sure, you can just buy the regular spaced pups and it will work the same. The effect on tone will be impossible to hear unless you are at the level of musicianship as Steve Vai or Paul Gilbert or someone like that, whereas anybody who has been playing guitar can tell the difference between covered pickups and uncovered pickups.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Okay, I guess I will go for tubes. Now i would just need some kind of distorion.

I want to sound like Slayer, And Metallica(Kill'Em All to Ride The Lightning), And Early Testament(Like "A New Order"), Exodus, Early Deicide, Death(Like Crystal Mountain or The Philosopher), Suicidal Tendencies and MegaDeth. I know alot of those bands didnt have much definition back then but i want that sound With a little more definition.

Okay. I wont be on until sometime tommorro. And agian, THANK YOU RAGING KITTY! You are really helping me and my future sound a lot...but sadly...probably not my wallet. But I'll get over it when I'm done.
Last edited by Chuk the Dragon at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by Chuk the Dragon
Okay, I guess I will go for tubes. Now i would just need some kind of distorion.

I want to sound like Slayer, And Metallica(Kill'Em All to Ride The Lightning), And Early Testament(Like "A New Order"), Exodus, Early Deicide, Death(Like Crystal Mountain or The Philosopher), Suicidal Tendencies and MegaDeth. I know alot of those bands didnt have much definition back then but i want that sound With a little more definition.

Okay. I wont be on until sometime tommorro. And agian. THANK YOU! You are really helping me and my future sound a lot...but sadly...probably not my wallet. But I'll get over it when I'm done.

You don't need a distortion pedal. IF you're looking at playing mostly metal, then get an amp with distortion built in. No distortion pedal can do what an amp can do. Trust me. If you've got an unlimited budget, I'd say get a Mesa/Boogie Mark V or Mark IV. If not, you can get a Mesa DC series amp, which is the closest thing to a Mark under $500.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
You can Believe i wouldve gotten a Mesa Boogie if i had the money, but i dont.
....So what is a tubey sound? Will it sound wierd with Thrash? Anyways....NOW, im goin to sleep.
Quote by Chuk the Dragon

Okay. I wont be on until sometime tommorro. And agian. THANK YOU! You are really helping me and my future sound a lot...but sadly...probably not my wallet. But I'll get over it when I'm done.

Hmm I'd recommend a Blackstar HT5 then... but its $499 for the combo and $599 for the ministack...

At least for a thrash sound the HT5 will do pretty well. For a Death sound... I think you'd need something else, the HT5 will need an OD with the gain cranked somewhat to get you into death metal territory.

Alternatively the 6505+ 112 combo will do all that distortion pretty well too... but the cleans still leave something to be desired IMO... I suggest you start saving up.

Getting the right amp now will ensure that you do not need to waste time and money going through all the crappy amps.

In your case, I'd recommend putting money meant for the pickups towards the amp. The stock Ibanez pickups aren't sunshine and honey, but running through one of those amps, they will sound pretty decent until your ear develops to the point where you can tell the impact of a pickup upgrade.

Quote by apak
dude... let me tell you. Chrome tops have a big effect on tone. You get less gain and output with covered pickups.

And the whole F-space thing is a marketing gimmick. You don't need it. If you're not sure, you can just buy the regular spaced pups and it will work the same. The effect on tone will be impossible to hear unless you are at the level of musicianship as Steve Vai or Paul Gilbert or someone like that, whereas anybody who has been playing guitar can tell the difference between covered pickups and uncovered pickups.

I disagree.

F-spacing ensures that your string is position directly over the pole pieces. Sure its a cosmetic consideration. However, unless you're getting a pickup dirt cheap or unless the pickup does not come spaced for tremolos, why not get something that will fit the guitar nicely.

What you have said about the impact on tone being minimal or almost non-existent, I agree. However, there's no price difference between an F-spaced and non-F spaced pickup, so why not get something that'll fit perfectly, than to get something that doesn't fit nicely, when you're paying the same price?

Also pickup covers roll off some of the top end... apart from that there's not a massive difference. Its not a difference of night and day. I did a test with my Bare Knuckles Nailbomb, testing and doing some rough recording with the pickup covers off and on, and I didn't notice a massive difference.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Okay, I'll go with the Ht5 Combo. But was is the difference between a combo and a mini stack? And whats an OD?(EDIT: oh.....its overdrive)

And I've been convinced to buy an amp first. And i dont have to money yet.
I was going to buy one pickup at a time. I'll have to get more money.
Anyways. Do I need to look for different pickups or kepp the ones i picked out?
Last edited by Chuk the Dragon at Dec 9, 2009,
Between the combo and the stack, there's no real difference in tone and performance, apart from the aesthetics of having one cube-y amp or one small-ish half stack. Maybe your tubes will last slightly longer… but not so much longer that you’ll notice a massive difference.

The combo will be more convenient when you move around or go for practice sessions.

Just put all your money towards the amp first… it will make a massive difference to your tone, and when you do swap pickups, you can tweak the tone to match how you’d like to tweak the sound coming out of the HT5.

Generally if you are going for thrash, the D Activator is sufficiently well balanced, should go well with the basswood of the RG and has some of that active sound… so you can probably keep that.

For the neck… the Tone Zone might sound a little nasally or thin… but I’m not entirely sure if that will be the case. You could also consider pickups like the Breed, Norton or the Humbucker from Hell.

However, my advice is for you to:
1. Save some more money.
2. Buy the amp
3. Spend time with the amp
4. Figure out what you don’t like about your tone
5. Come back to ask for more pickup advice

Through the HT5 the Ibanez stock pickups will make you sound quite good for quite a while, so a pickup change would not be necessary for a few months, until you come to grips with the sound of the RG through the HT5 and figure what about that sound it is you want to change.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty

I disagree.

F-spacing ensures that your string is position directly over the pole pieces. Sure its a cosmetic consideration. However, unless you're getting a pickup dirt cheap or unless the pickup does not come spaced for tremolos, why not get something that will fit the guitar nicely.

What you have said about the impact on tone being minimal or almost non-existent, I agree. However, there's no price difference between an F-spaced and non-F spaced pickup, so why not get something that'll fit perfectly, than to get something that doesn't fit nicely, when you're paying the same price?

Also pickup covers roll off some of the top end... apart from that there's not a massive difference. Its not a difference of night and day. I did a test with my Bare Knuckles Nailbomb, testing and doing some rough recording with the pickup covers off and on, and I didn't notice a massive difference.

yeah. I was just responding to the fact that people stress the necessity of getting F-spaced pickups for F-spaced guitars, when in fact, it's not a necessity.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
yeah. I was just responding to the fact that people stress the necessity of getting F-spaced pickups for F-spaced guitars, when in fact, it's not a necessity.

Haha.... no, you are right, its not a necessity. Its not gonna improve your tone by 50% just because the pickups is F-spaced.

However, you'd have to admit... it just looks that little bit better.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Between the combo and the stack, there's no real difference in tone and performance, apart from the aesthetics of having one cube-y amp or one small-ish half stack. Maybe your tubes will last slightly longer… but not so much longer that you’ll notice a massive difference.

The combo will be more convenient when you move around or go for practice sessions.

Just put all your money towards the amp first… it will make a massive difference to your tone, and when you do swap pickups, you can tweak the tone to match how you’d like to tweak the sound coming out of the HT5.

Generally if you are going for thrash, the D Activator is sufficiently well balanced, should go well with the basswood of the RG and has some of that active sound… so you can probably keep that.

For the neck… the Tone Zone might sound a little nasally or thin… but I’m not entirely sure if that will be the case. You could also consider pickups like the Breed, Norton or the Humbucker from Hell.

However, my advice is for you to:
1. Save some more money.
2. Buy the amp
3. Spend time with the amp
4. Figure out what you don’t like about your tone
5. Come back to ask for more pickup advice

Through the HT5 the Ibanez stock pickups will make you sound quite good for quite a while, so a pickup change would not be necessary for a few months, until you come to grips with the sound of the RG through the HT5 and figure what about that sound it is you want to change.

Well thats that. Thank you for all your help. I dont know what else there is to ask.
Agian, Thanx. Now to get a job...damn...I need to get my permit first...shouldve had it two years ago...anyways yeah. Keep Rocking.