Hi UG
I'm (sort of) new to the whole equipment thing here, so this could be quite a nooby question.

Basically, a few mates of mine have warned that using pedals with a solid state amp will sound balls. I was thinking of buying a new amp, a Hughes and Kettner Statesman Quad, which is partially solid state if I'm correct?

I'm just wondering if, when I start dabbling in pedals, will it sound as bad as my friends say, or are they exaggerating?

Cheers!
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Its usually pedals + modelling amps that sound bad. Not all solid states are bad, and some take pedals really well
I used to run all my pedals through an H&K 30DFX, sounded good - it really depends on the amp

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Yeah, as long as it's not a modelling amp it should sound fine.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I've run pedals through my tiny 10-watt SS amp, and they sound fine..
Now, running the same pedals through my friends Line-6 Spider 3?
Not so great.
Pedals + Modeling amps = Fail.
Pedals + SS amps + right EQ = Good
Quote by sTarbuck
Hi UG

Basically, a few mates of mine have warned that using pedals with a solid state amp will sound balls. I was thinking of buying a new amp, a Hughes and Kettner Statesman Quad, which is partially solid state if I'm correct?

Cheers!

You'd be correct in some cases, but mainly it's modellers that hate pedals, and high end SS amps a la Jazz chorus's which LOVE pedals. Also, the statesman is all valve, and very nice at that And should take pedals well too
solid state amps take pedals fine, i used to have an mg, and the only way to make it sound remotely acceptable was to run pedals through it.
Thanks guys, appreciate it!
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Some pedals are designed specifically for tube amps mate. Like a tubescreamer it sounds rather lack luster on a solid state amp but you use it to overdrive tubes and it sounds like an entirely differerent pedal. Some distortions and overdrives will sound bad on solid state amps but delays,modulators, wah etc will sound just fine assuming you dial in a good tone.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
as far as im aware the statesman is all tube.

Edit: i see nothing on the H&K site to suggest it is solid state.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Dec 8, 2009,
Well, I've never had a problem with any non modeling ss amp taking pedals; and I've never had a problem with any non modeling all tube amp taking pedals, but SOME modeling amps don't take pedals well at all and some more recent modelers take pedals just as good as non modelers.

SCXD, for example, seems to take pedals just fine; and I've been told the vypers do too, but have not confirmed this personally. And Spider amps do not tolerate pedals at all or at least not very well. So it really depends on the specific amp.
~JP~
The jazz chorus takes pedal better than majority of tube amps.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.