Been reading for a few days, and a member for awhile, but I've never posted before.
I have a small predicament I'm in. I have a 2004 Les Paul Special (so special they don't make it anymore) and I know that there is something wrong with the neck pick-up... when I try to switch to it, it wont come on... the sound goes dead. Should I be looking to see if my switch is broken, the pick-up is broken, or both? Does my guitar just suck so bad I shouldn't even care? Should I just completely overhaul the electronics? I love this guitar... I've played countless shows with it, but I've never worried about fixing it until now...I bought it when I was fourteen, and just wanted a name brand guitar... i got it for $700 new... so it's almost 6 years old.
My goodies:
2009 Taylor 210e
2004 Les Paul Special
Peavey Valve King Half Stack
check your connections.
The switch may have gone bad, but it's unlikely.

It's not the pickup.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
sorry, i've never repaired a guitar... do you mean the wired connections between the pickup and the switch? or what?
My goodies:
2009 Taylor 210e
2004 Les Paul Special
No haha, I love this guitar. I've played it for years, countless shows... I just don't know if it's worth upgrading or what...
My goodies:
2009 Taylor 210e
2004 Les Paul Special
it wont be the pickup, it could be either of the pots for that pup though.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I could be the 3 way switch, dirty or bad pot, broken solder joint, etc.

If you aren't comfortable fixing it yourself, take it in. You'll be back in business in no time.

FYI: My money is on the switch.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77