Page 1 of 6
Why do Britons constantly whien about Americans whiening about petrol prices?
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Because I'm an 18 year old senior in highschool who has to drive a 30 mile round-trip to school and back whilst making only $250-$300 at my job every two weeks, and paying for my car insurance/loan ($100) and just general things like food and the occasional movie. My car is old and only gets about 20 miles to the gallon on a good day, so I'm spending quite a lot at the pump. So don't generalize an entire nation, please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

Also it's because (I think) america pays a lower gas tax so their gas prices look high, while in other nations you pay a higher gas tax with gas prices looking lower.

Also americans seem to be under the impression that just because they have a bigger country everyone everywhere has much longer trips to make. And no one drives small cars because that means you have a small penis.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Dec 8, 2009,
we're spoiled twats who cant realize how great we have it, so we tend to bitch and moan
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by Masamune
Because it's higher than what we used to pay. People always whine when that happens

Just beat me to it.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Meh, Chinas' Oil is cheaper.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Whiening brangs the ackward?

Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
whine*
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
There seems to be a lot more less efficient cars on the rod in America. Also, once you are accustomed to a price, you are obviously gonna complain if it goes up. No matter what the price is.
because compared to England our public transportation is absolute shit and most people don't really have any alternatives.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Also I think the average American person has to drive longer distances to get to work/school than the average English person. Not entirely sure about that though. And we have crappy public transport in most places.
Because most of our other expenses are so high that even a relatively low gasoline price can have a disproportionately large impact on our finances. I drive 2 hours per day to go to and from work. It adds up a lot. My apartment rent, utility bills, parking cost, and insurance, together total about $2200 a month. Add even a little bit onto gas prices and I start rationing my food.
Because when something goes from costing $1.20-$1.70 (I don't remember the exact price) to costing $3.00-$4.00 relatively quickly people are going to bitch. Plus to my knowledge we have to drive a lot more than you guys.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Most of the above and the American minimum wage is day light robbery meaning us Brits make alot more money even on minimum wage.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
As Americans, we spend billions every year maintaining a huge military force that's supposed to keep our gas prices low. It's frustration more than anything.
Hi, I'm Peter
Yes we all know gas costs way more in Europe in general. The reason we in North America whine is that it used to cost way less. We are whining about the change and the rate of change. What if your 'petrol' prices went up by 1/2 pound in half a year (or whatever, i suck at dollar to pound conversions). You'd be whining too.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman

What makes you say that?

From my experience with people from europe they kind of freak out when I say I have to drive 50 miles one way to get to work everyday (I don't have to do that now since I mostly work from home but still) and plus like I said before, England (and Europe in general) has much better public transportation options.

Last.fm
Quote by DZCunuck
Yes we all know gas costs way more in Europe in general. The reason we in North America whine is that it used to cost way less. We are whining about the change and the rate of change. What if your 'petrol' prices went up by 1/2 pound in half a year (or whatever, i suck at dollar to pound conversions). You'd be whining too.

The price has gone up about 22% in the past 4 months over here in england.

TBH, i think you guys just suck at planning out where your shops are. In most towns in england you can get to some kind of convenience store in a 10-15 minute walk. If you put shops closer to where you lived, you wouldn't have to drive everywhere.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut

TBH, i think you guys just suck at planning out where your shops are. In most towns in england you can get to some kind of convenience store in a 10-15 minute walk. If you put shops closer to where you lived, you wouldn't have to drive everywhere.

If you live in a city that's usually true here as well, but a lot of people are lazy, the bigger issue is that a lot of people live in the suburbs away from actual towns, where it's all just residential stuff, and one central shopping area.

Last.fm
Quote by OddOneOut

It's not that simple. In the 1950s, the US government working in collaboration with GM decided to do as much as they could to effectively kill mass transit in the US in favor of superslab highways, touted as necessary for national defense or whatever. That, combined with suburban sprawl associated with the baby boomers settling down after WW2, you have the perfect recipe for the elimination of effective mass transit and the individual need to drive.
Hi, I'm Peter
Americans complain about everything, duh. Its the American way. We're like women.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman

What makes you say that?
It's based off stuff I've heard from people that have been there. I have no idea how true that is. But here it's a 20-30 minute drive to get across my town, and I live in a relatively small town. But to be fair, my town's layout is awful.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Because they don't realise how cheap their petrol is.

And everything in their country is ludicrously far apart, making a car almost necessary for many people.

And they don't have decent public transportation, meaning more people drive.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
If you live in a city that's usually true here as well, but a lot of people are lazy, the bigger issue is that a lot of people live in the suburbs away from actual towns, where it's all just residential stuff, and one central shopping area.

+1

The city planners in the USA are a bunch of mental cripples.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Because we Amurikans like to whine god damnit

lol nah, but im jealous of other countries gas efficient cars. America defines phenomenal gas milage as 34 mpg. Japan defines it as 58 mpg. Why? Because we are too fat stupid to accept the new cars at expense of size
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
1. Americans are used to having things for cheap. No one likes having a sudden price increase.

2. Americans have to drive a lot and fairly far because of the country's size and poor spatial planning.

3. American culture has largely supported having big gas guzzlers so gas price affects them more.

4. Many Americans do not realize what their gas price is relative to the rest of the world.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Americans are addicted to oil, and no one wants to get stabbed on the public transit, so that's the way it is. We live in cities that are built more for cars than people, and in suburbs you can drive upwards of a mile away just to buy some milk. The whole thing is absurd.

And don't say "whine," that's such an English thing to do
Quote by Bluesy...
Americans complain about everything, duh. Its the American way. We're like women.

You've clearly never seen a British stand up comedian before.
Quote by Bluesy...

Zing to both America and women!

Many Americans complain about fuel costs because they're unwilling to accept more practical forms of transportation.

Important Edit: I am an American.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by GC Shred Off
Zing to both America and women!

Many Americans complain about fuel costs because they're unwilling to accept more practical forms of transportation.
Because they are often not available. Or convenient.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

In America, everybody has to do a lot more driving, so the Government goes to great lengths to artificially reduce gas prices.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by element4433
Because they are often not available. Or convenient.

Drive motorcycles, they're very fuel efficient.

And they make you look cool.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Drive motorcycles, they're very fuel efficient.

And they make you look cool.
But it rains here. Almost everyday over the summer.

And I can't pull off the leather jacket look
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano