I hope to be playing live with my band soon and i need advice on which amp to get, my peavey valveking broke a few months a ago and i am thinking of getting a stack or half stack.

I have looked at line 6's which sound good but everyone hates on them so dont wanna risk it, also marshall mg half stacks but i have never tried one so i dont wanna go without a few opinions.

I can spend up to maybe 800 pounds, but that is the maximum, i want the best most powerfull sounding amp that i can afford with that and i want it to be some kind of stack. I will be using it mostly for metal and heavily distorted stuff.

PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will be much appreciated.
As I have said many times before... you dont need a stack! unless your playing stadiums that is. A 2X12 is loads for bars and such.
Line 6 amps are pretty decent, but its not the same as a tube amp.
I own a MG combo, and its alright, wouldnt gig with it though. never played the stack versions but havent heard anything good.
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
ok, say that i didnt get a stack, which combo is the best you know for between 400 and 800?
Personally, going from a Valveking to a MG or Line 6 (assuming you're talking about the Spider) would be a step back.

If you need something solely for metal/heavily distorted music, stick with tube. For 800 pounds I say shoot for a Peavey 6505 combo. Not sure how the exchange rates work but you might even be able to get away with a 6505 head and a 2x12 or 4x12.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Well if you got a line 6 make sure it would be the spider valve, those get rave reviews. Ive never played one, but lots of people like them. And a Marshall mg is a good amp only for practice to get the half stack is a waste of money.
For live playing most people hear are gonna recommend you a tube amp, i agree get a tube amp. Lots of people are gonna say get a tube combo amp too rather than a half or full stack. Ultimatly it does matter, both combos and half stacks have combos... I got a halfstack cause the 6505+ head i wanted didnt come in a combo yet... there is a 6505 but thats not that same...

Anyways you may also want to check you local craigslist or kijiji if your canadian list for used amps.

For your style I'm a say look used for a 6505 (5150) or 6505+ (5150II) combo or head.
You could wait for the 6505+ combo to come out its 60 watts which is practically the same volume as the 120 watt heads...
- Peavey XXX used or Peavey 3120 .
- Theres also the Bugera 6262, 6260, 333 and 333XL.
- Spider Valve.

Others will have more suggestions too.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Used Mesa combos usually go for around that much, try finding one of those. I'd go for a Mesa Nomad if you can find one. Also, a Peavey 6505 combo or a Bugera 6262 should do well.
Quote by Ethanb08
Well if you got a line 6 make sure it would be the spider valve, those get rave reviews. Ive never played one, but lots of people like them. And a Marshall mg is a good amp only for practice to get the half stack is a waste of money.
For live playing most people hear are gonna recommend you a tube amp, i agree get a tube amp. Lots of people are gonna say get a tube combo amp too rather than a half or full stack. Ultimatly it does matter, both combos and half stacks have combos... I got a halfstack cause the 6505+ head i wanted didnt come in a combo yet... there is a 6505 but thats not that same...

Anyways you may also want to check you local craigslist or kijiji if your canadian list for used amps.

For your style I'm a say look used for a 6505 (5150) or 6505+ (5150II) combo or head.
You could wait for the 6505+ combo to come out its 60 watts which is practically the same volume as the 120 watt heads...
- Peavey XXX used or Peavey 3120 .
- Theres also the Bugera 6262, 6260, 333 and 333XL.
- Spider Valve.

Others will have more suggestions too.
+1 to the Peavey XXX and 6505+

You've also got a used ENGL Screamer 50 combo, Bogner Alchemist combo, Bugera 6262, Laney GH50L, Line 6 Spider Valve, and maybe a used Hughes&Kettner Switchblade 50 combo.