First of all, I wanted to get an opinion on this trade I made:

My son asked for a bass guitar for Christmas last year and of course I didn't listen -- thinking it'd be cooler to play guitar with him. Anyway, he humored me, took lessons this year and has had some fun but still preferred a bass. Basically, I was looking to trade his set up for an equivalent bass guitar set up.

• electric guitar in white
  • watt modelling amp

We received a few offers for trades and went with this one below. It's a Washburn XB-102 4-string bass and a Behringer Ultrabass BX600 amplifier. I honestly know only two things about bass equipment; diddly and squat!

With the money we're talking about though, and the even trade of guitar/amp for guitar/amp, I don't see how I could have gone wrong in this trade. But, now that I've made the deal, I'd like to know your opinion on what I got.

The guitar seems to be in pristine condition, so far it's stayed in tune and sounds fine to me (no buzzing, popping, etc.). The tone knob has a bit of a dirty pot, but no big deal. Again, I don't know what to really look for specifically with a bass so am just looking at what I would with a regular guitar. Nothing seems to be damaged with the hardware at all. There's a missing switch cap for the pickups (don't know exactly what you call that little piece of plastic), but that seems petty to me.

So, what do you think?

One thing I'm curious about is the amp. And it may just be me not knowing how to use it properly. I didn't know what the Active/Passive inputs were for but chose Active to test it (finally realized it must be referring to active/passive pickups so now have it in the passive input). The amp just doesn't seem very loud to me. At 60 watts I'd think it would be plenty loud. Mabye I'm just not turning it up enough -- I'm use to my guitar amps though, and they seem very loud compared to this thing (and I've never owned more than a 30 watt SS...)

Also, see the front of the amp where it has an effects loop? The labels "Preamp Out & Power Amp In" have me confused. Can I plug a pedal into here or does it just go inline with the cable from the bass.

And speaking of effects. What would I be looking for if I wanted to get a fun pedal? I know for even the noobiest of noob guitarists getting a wah pedal is instant fun -- even if they have no skills. What effect would I get an aspiring (complete neophyte) bassist to add that fun factor?

Maybe I just never noticed effects being used with a bass. Are there any differences between pedals for guitar and those for bass? I mean, if I let him use my phase shifter, chorus, octave, wah, etc. would they all work properly or are there pedals specific to bass so their frequency range matches up or something like that?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
beware of the amp. behringer get a lot of bad rep around here. all in all, they deserve it.
EDIT: behringer advertise the peak rms wattage of the amp. not the normal running power
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by moody git
beware of the amp. behringer get a lot of bad rep around here. all in all, they deserve it.
EDIT: behringer advertise the peak rms wattage of the amp. not the normal running power

This. Also it will sound louder if you put your treble up more.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11898228&postcount=7

Is a good section in the FAQ about pedals. Many bassists find distortion and chorus useful. Some pedals such as delay work well with both guitar and bass, but most guitar pedals will suck the low end when used with a bass.
Buying your son a Line 6 and an Ibanez instead of a bass because it's cooler to play guitar...

...I think I had a mild stroke.

Now for the actual advise.

Quote by richardlpalmer
Also, see the front of the amp where it has an effects loop? The labels "Preamp Out & Power Amp In" have me confused. Can I plug a pedal into here or does it just go inline with the cable from the bass.

You don't plug a pedal into there. That would be a very bad move.
These are line outs directly from the Pre-amp and the Power amp.
Amps are made up of Pre-amp (which basically takes a signal and amplifies it), Power amp (which powers a speaker) and the speaker itself.
These would mostly be used in recording. Each one will give a very different tone. Generally a beginner wouldn't have to bother themselves with these.

Quote by richardlpalmer
Maybe I just never noticed effects being used with a bass. Are there any differences between pedals for guitar and those for bass? I mean, if I let him use my phase shifter, chorus, octave, wah, etc. would they all work properly or are there pedals specific to bass so their frequency range matches up or something like that?

Generally you'll lose your low end a bit, but overall they won't damage them. If you are getting anything go for pedals made for bass, just for the best tone.
The bass amp really only runs at 30 watts. Behringer is a bad company to deal with.
Overall, I would have kept the guitar and amp, but thats only because I already have a good bass setup. If the Behringer dosent stop working within the next year or two, Id say you made an ok trade.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
a little late now...

Hopefully his interest in bass will grow, since you finally listened to him and got him a bass, and that's what's important at this point IMO. He will get better and then will want better gear somewhere down the road.

And I gotta ask, why would you want to jam with another guitar instead of a bass?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Thanks for the info so far guys.

Got it on the Behringer amp. And I'll try the treble info. From a pricing perspective I think almost any bass amp is going to be more expensive than that little Line6 was -- which is why I didn't think I could go too wrong.

anarkee: Thanks for the link. I'm checking it out now.

Casketcreep: You cut me deep with that first comment. And thanks for the other info.

NakedBassist: It might not make sense that I'd want to jam with another guitarist. It doesn't as much to me, in retrospect. It was more a matter of doing something with him. Things like being able to work with him on songs, help him with his lessons, share my stuff, that sort of thing.

Also, I didn't know if he was physically mature enough to play a bass. The frets are considerably larger spaced than a guitar. Now that I watch him play, he seems to be making due just fine. The kid's 5'7" at age 11 so I have the feeling he'll grow into it just fine...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by Casketcreep
You don't plug a pedal into there. That would be a very bad move.
These are line outs directly from the Pre-amp and the Power amp.
Amps are made up of Pre-amp (which basically takes a signal and amplifies it), Power amp (which powers a speaker) and the speaker itself.
These would mostly be used in recording. Each one will give a very different tone. Generally a beginner wouldn't have to bother themselves with these.

As it does say effects loop under those jacks, I'm gonna have to say that's not quite right. It just shows you what way the signal will be travelling.

You can't use a Poweramp In to record with. No signal coming out.

The signal goes from The preamp through the pedals and back in to the poweramp.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
No sweat. When I saw the "Effects Loop" label I was stoked. Heck, my guitar amp doesn't have that -- I'd have had to bought the next model up. But then the labels above it caused a bit of confusion.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Question for you bass-philes. What is the most common effect pedal you can think of (not necessarily brand -- although that would be nice, too -- but moreso the type of effect)?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
No sweat. When I saw the "Effects Loop" label I was stoked. Heck, my guitar amp doesn't have that -- I'd have had to bought the next model up. But then the labels above it caused a bit of confusion.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Question for you bass-philes. What is the most common effect pedal you can think of (not necessarily brand -- although that would be nice, too -- but moreso the type of effect)?
IMO, distortion, fuzz, wah and chorus, with distortion arguably being the most common.
I would say distortion tends to be the choice of most rock bass players as I said above. Chorus and wah are common as well.

For a guitar/bass family (my son plays guitar), the Boss: AW3 Dynamic Wah is fun. You use it for both guitar and bass.
Quote by anarkee
For a guitar/bass family (my son plays guitar), the Boss: AW3 Dynamic Wah is fun. You use it for both guitar and bass.

You can use a Q-tron for guitar and bass, right?

It's like a wah, but for lazy people.
Yea common pedals are distortion/fuzz and wah. Chorus and compression are also somewhat common but not as common.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

Quote by TrabenBassist22
Yea common pedals are distortion/fuzz and wah. Chorus and compression are also somewhat common but not as common.

Yes on the chorus, but compression is too specific for a begginer and he'd first have to develop a knack for tone and volume in a band or ensemble setting.
Quote by watchingmefall
Yes on the chorus, but compression is too specific for a begginer and he'd first have to develop a knack for tone and volume in a band or ensemble setting.

That's true. I was just talking in general about somewhat common pedals, but yeah I wouldn't recommend a compression pedal for a beginner.

the washburn is a solid beginner bass, I would reconsider on the amp
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
I have a distortion, overdrive and am soon getting a wah and flanger (I prefer it to chorus)

I don't use the distortion
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Okay, great advice guys! I think I should have let you know what type of bands he likes. He's into the Gorillaz (just learned Feel Good Inc.), Cage the Elephant (Ain't No Rest For The Wicked), Green Day (various songs), Black Sabbath (old skool, with Ozzy), Linkin Park (various), Rage Against The Machine (Bulls on Parade), etc.

I apologize (again) but are they using effects on any of these? If so, would distortion be the way to go? If not, can you give me an idea of a song(s) that use this effect?

Quote by BamaBlues
the washburn is a solid beginner bass, I would reconsider on the amp

Thanks for that. One of the reasons I went with Ibanez originally is the shape of their neck. It's thin and was easier for him to play on. And I bought an upgraded model simply to make sure it'd stay in tune, etc.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
As far as I've played Feel Good Inc. with my band, wev'e never seen the need to use any effects, and its the same with Sabbath, Geezer Butler played clean as far as I can tell
I've never had an issue with any Behringer Amps I've ever played, I think their wicked good bass amps. I don't use pedals though. I mean, Noise Suppressor, tuner, equalizer.. The bass should be great though
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10