Page 1 of 2
It's happened before and it just did again.
Last night when I was playing, I noticed my high e on my ibanez (has a trem) was terribly out of tune. And since it was late, I just put it away and decided I would wait until after school today to tune it back up. Now when I tried to, the string just keeps downtuning itself. As i tune up it goes up but then the pitch just drops back down. I can actually see the tuning head turning counter clockwise gradually. Whats up with that?

Last time, somebody told me that the problem was probably just because I didn't wrap the string around the post enough times. That definitely wasn't the problem this time and I made sure to avoid that.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Dirk Gently
If you have a screw in the end of your tuning head, tighten it.

+1,000,000

its either that or a more serious prob (but very fixable) problem like the gear in the tuner has wore down its teeth thus loosing the ability to hold the tuning...
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
How would I check if it was worn down or if tightening it works? I was stupid and already broke the string trying to keep tuning it up. I don't have the money to buy another pack for maybe a week so I'm screwed (bad pun intended).
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
All your tuning keys should be designed the same. Try it on a different string.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Polystant
How would I check if it was worn down or if tightening it works? I was stupid and already broke the string trying to keep tuning it up. I don't have the money to buy another pack for maybe a week so I'm screwed (bad pun intended).

lol yea bad pun. but anyway this all depends on the tuners you have id u can screw it our open it to check the gears or not.

do u know the specific tuners on the guitar?

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Stock i'm assuming tuners (made in 1996 if it helps) and they don't say a brand or anything on them.

@Dirk: How would i test it on the other strings? The high e is the only one with the problem
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
^ Loosen the screw on another plain steel string and see if it starts to unwind. Conversely, you could just tighten the screw on the high E tuner and see if it makes it more difficult to turn.
Hi, I'm Peter
locking nut guys...

.....make sure the string retainimg block is actually tight enough to hold the string......same with the locking nut

tune up lock the nut immediatly, fine tune if it`s still going out check the string isn`t slipping through the nut......you may need a new nut.....
No, it isn't doing it with the other strings if I loosen their screw. Darn. What else could be the problems?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
There is no string retaining block, it is only a single locking floyd (at the nut). I doubt the nut is the problem because I actually could see the tuner untuning. The post was turning but not the turn-y thing
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
There is no string retaining block, it is only a single locking floyd (at the nut). I doubt the nut is the problem because I actually could see the tuner untuning. The post was turning but not the turn-y thing

That concludes it ^^. its a worn gear.100% sure. No flipping doubt about it.
The easiest way to fix this is to get a replacement tuner.
As simple as that, but remember to get a tuner that fits the tuning hole in your guitar headstock.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

check the nut over the tuning post, make sure thats tight, the post won`t turn without turning the machinehead, it`s geared directly.....to turn independantly would require a clutch or a total loss of teeth from the gear
Any reccomendations that aren't too much? I'm broke as you can see from my remark about not being able to buy strings for at least a week. And how am I going to know if they fit without buying them first?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by ibanezgod1973
to turn independantly would require a clutch or a total loss of teeth from the gear

thats what im saying. ive had this before btw. its the result of almost worn teeth (worn down but not completely). it will raise the tension but it will let the post slip regardless...

EDIT: recommendations on the way.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

And if this isn't the problem? I know theres stuff wrong with the nut on this guitar (theres grooves worn into the metal of the lucking nut.... I am still working on finding a replacement) it doesn't sound like the nut is the problem
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
And if this isn't the problem? I know theres stuff wrong with the nut on this guitar (theres grooves worn into the metal of the lucking nut.... I am still working on finding a replacement) it doesn't sound like the nut is the problem

Well there isn't a probable cause unless some awkward outside force (not from the guitar) like magic then its the tuner causing this.

P.s. sorry that i kinda sounded like an ass at the end,

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Deadlock Riff
what size is the tuner hole? (example 9/32 5/16 3/4?)

Of an inch? Do you mean diameter?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
5/16 or 10 mm???
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Last edited by Polystant at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by Polystant
Of an inch? Do you mean diameter?

Diameter. inch or milimeters. doesnt matter

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Polystant
It looks to be about 6/16 but since 5/16 is one of the ones you mentioned (and i'm assuming 5/16 to be a standard size then) I'm going to say 5/16

ok whats the orientation of the headstock? are the tuners on top, bottom, or are 3 on both sides?

and what colour? (so i know what to match the tuner with)

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Dec 8, 2009,
6 on a side, chrome
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
non reverse
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
Thanks-a-million. Do you know how long it usually takes to ship for these guys? I've ordered from them before but i forget.

the longest should be a week and a half.
As i remember when i had to order additional tremolo springs and roller strings trees.

|
|
|
|
|
\/

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

How are these? http://store.guitarfetish.com/chsusmgost14.html If possible I would like to have 6 of the same tuner since I don't want one tuner with a different hole (the current ones dont even have a screw hole on the back of the headstock, just two little like nubs that go into the wood to keep it from moving around) and I don't really wanna spend $40
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
How are these? http://store.guitarfetish.com/chsusmgost14.html If possible I would like to have 6 of the same tuner since I don't want one tuner with a different hole (the current ones dont even have a screw hole on the back of the headstock, just two little like nubs that go into the wood to keep it from moving around) and I don't really wanna spend $40

those are fine. but tuning will be a bit harder because of the lower tuning ratio though.
but if you have a floyd rose it should be perfectly fine.
they are tens so u may have either a tight fit or u'll have to slight sand it. just slightly

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Is there any way to tell the tuning ratio of my current tuner? Also, Is there a way to open up the tuner to just be 100% positive that the gear is just worn? I mean I don't remember for sure if the turny thing turned along with the post when it was detuning itself...
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
Is there any way to tell the tuning ratio of my current tuner? Also, Is there a way to open up the tuner to just be 100% positive that the gear is just worn? I mean I don't remember for sure if the turny thing turned along with the post when it was detuning itself...

it depends cause some tuners are sealed. can u post a pic?

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

yea those will take awhile to get open. as in a minimum of a day with the right tools

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Likea day like a few hours a day or like 24 hours? What would be the general procedure? As you can tell I'm a cheapo :P
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
yea i can tell and by the way so am i lol. well first you need to find something with a small needle tip that can handle you hitting it with a hammer. you will stick the needle between the casing of the tuner and the circular cap on its bottom. then hit the needle till the needle gets in some way. after that use the needle like a crowbar to get the backing of and voila

of course this means you aren't getting the backing back on. so yea lol that means you will have to lubricate the tuner ever so often now that its exposed to the outside air.

and if the needle goes to deep it could ruin the internal mechanism of the tuner. (depending on how complex the tuner is.) either way you are goin to most likely need a new tuner.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Gee i'm in a pickle
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
Gee i'm in a pickle

Yea you are. but its not like it isnt fixable . in fact its pretty simple.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Haha yeah i know. Just trying to assess my options and find the most money and time efficient manner of going about doing this....
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
gotoh tuners...it`s what ibanez use in all highend models.....and gotoh actually cast the budget ones for ibanez
What about this? This is what all of the people said last time it happened? Why didn't anybody mention it then? I don't want to buy new tuners if all i need is another pack of good old ghs boomers

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1214222&highlight=rg270
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Page 1 of 2