Well, i've decided to start putting together some effects. I've been lacking in that area for a while. There not something i know a lot about. All i've ever had is a wah, phaser and distortion pedal. Now i think its time to get a good effects set.
So, pedalboard vs rack gear. I do play some gigs, and i've heard racks are more portable. I was looking at some of TC electronincs stuff, G-Force in particular. It seems to have everything needed, as in completely removing the need for effects pedals. Is this true? price isn't a problem, and if it matters i play mostly progressive metal, but also some melodeath and similar heavier music
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Effects racks are great because they offer a better sound quality, don't eat your tone as much, and are more portable as you can just put all of your shit in a ATA amp mover and rack mount and your set.

But you'd need a MIDI switcher to switch them if you wanna do it proper.

Nice amp.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Effects racks are great because they offer a better sound quality, don't eat your tone as much, and are more portable as you can just put all of your shit in a ATA amp mover and rack mount and your set.

But you'd need a MIDI switcher to switch them if you wanna do it proper.

Nice amp.

midi switcher, so like this http://www.axess-electronics.com/sc/FX1-MIDI-Footcontroller-p-16138.html ?
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Last edited by fbeckinsale at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Right. That's a proper one too.

so if i got that, and like a TC Electronic G-Force, would i need anything else?
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
A Furman power conditioner would be a good idea.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
A Furman power conditioner would be a good idea.

+1. But yeah, that's all you need.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

you would need any effects that arent covered by the rack unit or that can be done better by a non rack unit/different unit.

so youve got stuff like reverbs, chorus, delay and stuff in the g major. you dont have a wah or overdrive or boost, etc. you could set them up in a drawer (except the wah) and have them run through your MIDI unit as well (i would think you need a MIDI loop box for that). so basicly you get your single stomps attached to the MIDI unit. or you could just stick them in the signal chain and not worry about using MIDI for them, depends on how you roll.
Quote by jof1029
you would need any effects that arent covered by the rack unit or that can be done better by a non rack unit/different unit.

so youve got stuff like reverbs, chorus, delay and stuff in the g major. you dont have a wah or overdrive or boost, etc. you could set them up in a drawer (except the wah) and have them run through your MIDI unit as well (i would think you need a MIDI loop box for that). so basicly you get your single stomps attached to the MIDI unit. or you could just stick them in the signal chain and not worry about using MIDI for them, depends on how you roll.

like this http://www.axess-electronics.com/sc/GRX4-Guitar-Router-Switcher-p-16135.html

or this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digital-Music-GCX-Guitar-Audio-Switcher?sku=183401
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Last edited by fbeckinsale at Dec 8, 2009,