Currently I have no band and I am writing a song. I would appreciate it if someone could help explain to me how exactly to write the bass for the song. I don't want it to be just root notes following a simple rhythm. I can play bass but I barely ever do so I'm clueless at making music on it.

Say I have the chord progression Bm Dmaj Amaj Em as the intro progression for the rhythm guitar and a B5 Dmaj A5 E5 progression for the lead guitar (with other little lead parts). Can someone suggest me an example? I'm not trying to get you to write it for me but I just need someone to explain to me how I can accomplish this.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Alright. That's another thing I need to do. Find someone to write some drums for me or I have to figure out how to and do it on Guitar Pro or something similar.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Bass typically plays rhythmically with the drums, and harmonically with the guitars. That way it keeps the band together. It all depends on the style of music you want to make to decide how to write your bass parts though. You should analyze more music that you want to sound like, and figure out what those bassists are doing and why.
Quote by RockGuitar92
Alright. That's another thing I need to do. Find someone to write some drums for me or I have to figure out how to and do it on Guitar Pro or something similar.

learn to do it yourself, don't expect anyone to write them for you (its a time consuming process to write your own beats and not use generic loops)
Quote by z4twenny
learn to do it yourself, don't expect anyone to write them for you (its a time consuming process to write your own beats and not use generic loops)

I know but I suck at drums. lol

I'm not trying to be lazy. I just really suck at drums.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by RockGuitar92

If your good enough find a drummer who wants to play with you. If not do it yourself.
Quote by RockGuitar92

I suck at drums too (I could probably play for AC/DC) but as long as you know how it works and that a drummer can't hit 2 toms, a cymbal, and the snare all at the same time you can figure out something that'll be sufficient for GP. I normally start by deciding how fast the high hat should be, then go ahead and fill the bars with 16th or 8th note high hat hits (or whatever, but something to keep time) and then fill in the bass drum and snare to accent the song appropriately, then add in stuff like cymbals and fills on the toms, etc. Just take your time writing it out and don't be afraid to scratch it and start over. It takes time to get used to and figure out just like everything else, but you'll get it if you work at it.

And really pay attention to thinking rhythmically, the drums are all about keeping time and driving the song forward.

as far as the original question, there's as many different things you can do with a bass as you can do with a guitar. It's really what ties the melodic with the rhythmic aspects.