Page 1 of 2
I need help. i liked the big muff pi when i tried it out at guitar center but i need to try out a fuzz factory to make a proper comparison. but i cannot do that because no stores around where i live carry the zvexx fuzz factory. i was hoping maybe you all could help me decide.
Personally I like the big muff better, but the fuzz factory does have more options that let you dial it in.
Quote by Sguit
You know that there are other fuzzes than those two, right?

i know. i narrowed my choices down to those 2 fuzzes. i've watched numerous demos on youtube and read numerous reviews.
the fuzz factory is hard to dial in, at least it was for me. the big muff is waaayyy easier to just set the dials and play. what type of sound are you going for?
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
i'm looking for like a muse, wolfmother, and jack white type fuzz and a 60's jimi hendrix/eric clapton type fuzz. i'm basically looking for a versatile fuzz pedal.
What do you play? Those are very very different fuzzes. And there are tons of different fuzzes for different things.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
Well jack white actually uses the big muff pedal so I would probably go with that.
the big muff will not get you anything vintage. it is pretty versatile but if you are playing with a band you might want something like an eq or tubescreamer to boost the mids because it kinda gets lost in the mix due to its scooped nature.

they are not even close when it comes to price as well. if you are willing to spend the money look at the blackout effectors fuzzes. there is the fixed, musket and the double onewhatever it is called. awsome fuzzes if you like the big muff.
i'm have more of a bluesy style. but i do tend to do some sweep arpeggios and eddie van halen type tapping into some of my solos. i want a fuzz factory but i keep reading things about how it's unstable live.
Fuzz factory has a good fuzz selection and you can do more shit with it. You can also control the oscillation and the gate.

Muff is more classic sounding and simpler.

I'm getting a Fuzz Factory for xmas.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by karmapolice92
i'm looking for like a muse, wolfmother, and jack white type fuzz and a 60's jimi hendrix/eric clapton type fuzz. i'm basically looking for a versatile fuzz pedal.

Fuzz Factory is great for that. It's based off of a Fuzz Face circuit which is what Hendrix and Clapton used.

Fuzz Factory is far more versatile then a Muff.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by ak10
Well jack white actually uses the big muff pedal so I would probably go with that.

Did you not see the other artists as well?

TS, it sounds like you want a fuzz pedal doing both vintage fuzz and crazy modern fuzz.

http://media1.zvex.com/fuzzfactory.mov

That video starts off with some mellow, vintage sounds and then gets crazy. Personally, I'd go with the Fuzz Factory.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
i think i made my choice. thanks everyone. i'm going to wait until i can find a fuzz factory to actually try but i think i'm pretty confident in my decision. thanks again everyone!
Quote by karmapolice92
i think i made my choice. thanks everyone. i'm going to wait until i can find a fuzz factory to actually try but i think i'm pretty confident in my decision. thanks again everyone!

So you're going with a Fuzz Factory? Right on.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

They're completely different kinds of fuzz and the FF is a lot more expensive. I wouldn't recommend it to be honest.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
They're completely different kinds of fuzz and the FF is a lot more expensive. I wouldn't recommend it to be honest.

So you wouldn't recommend it because it's expensive?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
The Fuzz Factory is massively overpriced....

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
The Fuzz Factory is expensive, and I also think it's kind of overpriced. But it's probably one of the best fuzz pedal's IMO.

Also I hear that Will Sledge's The Judge is pretty good http://willsledgefx.com/judge.html Also about 70 bucks cheaper.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
the FF is expensive for what it is given how many "Crazy Fuzzes" there are out there. It also really only does a couple of different sounds. It does Fuzz Facey fuzz and stuttery Fuzz, that's mostly it.

The Big Muff is more versatile IMO since you can kinda use it as a Fuzz or Distortion(especially the Russian model).
I don't know if it will suit you styles that much but the Red Witch Fuzz God sounds awesome, i'd get it.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
I have a Fuzz Factory, it was good fun to play Plug In Baby but thats all, you can't really get usable tones out of it so i would recommend a Big Muff.

edit: Also it will sound bad on amps with midcut and weak low end imo.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Last edited by Daneeka at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by joe_k
i just thought of another option which you should look into, a way huge swollen pickle.

That dosn't really get a jack white or hendrix sound :s In every demo of those i've seen they sound like a big muff but worse.

Also TS. It's hard to get a powerful 'punchy' sound with a fuzz factory, it's also really difficult to get any decent settings without screwing with them for ages.
Quote by Zoot Allures
In every demo of those i've seen they sound like a big muff but worse.
no.

Quote by nightraven
you can't play this card. it's impossible to dial in a fuzz face sound out of the factory. not even a shitty sounding fuzz face. if you want the hendrix sound you have to get a proper fuzz face clone (not the dunlop RI)
exactly.
you can get a huge, thick fuzz out of the Fuzz Factory, but it squeals and feeds back like mad...good for noise rock/shoegaze and that's about it. the "fuzz face" setting sounds like ass. TS, i'd grab a swollen pickle, a fuzz face clone, or a big muff w/ tonewicker.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by spiff389
you can get a huge, thick fuzz out of the Fuzz Factory, but it squeals and feeds back like mad...good for noise rock/shoegaze and that's about it. the "fuzz face" setting sounds like ass. TS, i'd grab a swollen pickle, a fuzz face clone, or a big muff w/ tonewicker.

Off?: The tonewicker switch just bypass the tonestack right?
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Quote by nightraven
you can't play this card.
it's impossible to dial in a fuzz face sound out of the factory. not even a shitty sounding fuzz face. if you want the hendrix sound you have to get a proper fuzz face clone (not the dunlop RI)

And an Octavia clone.

The Fuzz Face sounds on the FF Aren't awful but I just can't bring myself to like the pedal. I want to sell it but it was a gift from my Dad. I try to get him to use it fobbing off the same Eric Clapton argument but I guess he wasn't convinced either.

I don't know how to describe it, but the FF has this cheesy, garlicy texture I've become sensitive to over time.
Big Muff, easily or alternatively a Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
They are not the same. Most musicians (at least that i have seen) that own a fuzz factory, also own another fuzz similar to the big muff.
Quote by Daneeka
Off?: The tonewicker switch just bypass the tonestack right?

Nope. Tone switch bypasses tonestack. Wicker adds some high end clarity.

I'd say go for sommit Devi custom. With sommit simple as the first fuzz and then sommit crazier as the second one. Head over to the ilovefuzz forum to speak to Devi, she/he knows her/his shit.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Big Muff, easily or alternatively a Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz.

this

the musket is based on a russian muff and has way better eq and is tons more versatile. normally muffs get totally lost in the mix but the musket gives you the option to tighten up the mid range to help it cut through. plus it's cheaper then a fuzz factory.
Page 1 of 2