anyone think drop d tuning is cheating? I don't personally use it but i always hear mad people knockin on it. Couldn't it just be like something different that you can use well and be useful?
It should be useful.

Lazy people often use it as a shortcut for playing powerchords.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
I wouldn't consider it cheating...I use drop tunings a lot, like Drop C and B, mainly, and I never thought of it as cheating...it simply provides a somewhat different way of playing...

...plus, I like hitting my sixth and fifth string at the same time, palm muted as opposed to only my sixth, which would sound slightly awkward in a standard sort of tuning.
Its all for the heavier sound. I prefer to play in droped standard, but many people like the dropped low string for the sound and easy power chords.
Drop D allows for a different sound. Its alot more practical for fast riffing, as is any dropped tuning. You can play some really cool sounding barre chords and stuff too, that would be pretty difficult to play in standard.

Its kind of like saying tapping is cheating. Its not, its just good for doing stuff thats hard to sweep. It can look like cheating sometimes though.
Gear
Hamer Standard XT
1963 Burns Split Sonic
Boss DD-7 (w/ Tap switch)
BAJA Real Tube Overdrive
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech Whammy IV
Boss TU-2
Vox AD50VTXL
I honestly use it for convience. I mainly play in standard and flat, so if I wanna play ONE song in dropped tuning, I gotta tune all the strings down and then tune them back up to play my other stuff. Its just faster to tune one string than six.

EDIT: Are we talking about single string dropped tuning or all the strings dropped tune? Because all strings aren't cheating at all, because its virtually the same as playing guitar in standard, you can just hit lower notes.
Last edited by Ebucra at Dec 8, 2009,
I actually have been playing some riffs in Drop C lately due to a band I like using it, and it's not ''cheating.'' It can give you a different sound/style, so if you have a use for it then use it. Even if some random UG user told you it's cheating, would you stop using it just because of that?
Thats like saying using a pick is cheating, you should play with your fingers..dont make no sense! I write all my music in drop-D, I love the power chords you can make, that are so much easier than in standard/D-standard.
There is no cheating at guitar - if you're shit at playing in standard, you'll be shit at playing in drop D.

I use drop tunings heaps, as well as standard tuning and even some all-fifths tunings for more interesting sounds.
I'm talking about tuning your 6th string a step lower then you would in standard. I play in C# mainly because my fav band uses that and I play along with alot of their songs but I also use it for songs that I write and it sounds heavy enough.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Alternate tunings aren't cheating, if somebody you know thinks that, go impale him with a Drop D tuned Razorback.

i'd prefer the BICH
I don't think it's cheating, many songs have low D notes that can only be reached with drop D.
Quote by sglover34479
if you're only using it for easier 5th chords then you're lazy.

By this logic, since it is possible to play your guitar backwards left-handed behind your back, you are lazy for choosing to play it in the much more convenient (convenience is for sissies) frontwards right-handed on the front of your body way.

Quote by kapman2489
anyone think drop d tuning is cheating?

Yes. Unfortunately, many people do. I do not, even though I don't really use it.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Alternate tunings aren't cheating, if somebody you know thinks that, go impale him with a Drop D tuned Razorback.

my thoughts exactly,

even tho i dont like my razorback.

but yeh i always get shit of other guitarist in college because i play drop tuned, the stuff i play isnt easy , but they still insist im a shit player because i play in a drop tuning,

those guys that do think Drop tuning is cheating,gay,for failed guitarists can GTFO and have their head impailed with my razorback
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Open C (C G C G C E) is more cheating than Drop D is. Not only can you do a one finger power chord across all six strings (actually, it'd be a major chord), you can shred in just about any position by just playing in the same pattern up the fretboard. That's why Devin Townsend's music sounds so complex, yet is incredibly simple to play.

And I don't consider anything cheating. If it facilitates an easier performance, it's pretty goddamn useful to know
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
I doubt many serious guitar players actually use drop D because they think it's "easier." Drop tunings lend themselves to different techniques, styles, riffs, etc that can't be done the same way in standard tuning.
Isolation is a gift. All the others are a test of your endurance.
depends on what you use it for...
If you use it so the powerchords are easier, well that's just being lazy,...
if you use it to get to the lower notes and get very different barre chords, then it's about right. But not many serious artists (as kalaloch mentioned) use drop D to be lazy, but use it to get different techniques/riffs/sounds
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

wow, i was just thinking this yesterday. I belive it can be useful and cheating. People use it for easy power chords and having a really dark, metal tone. You can use standard for metal, look at Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth. Famous bands that use standard tuning (apart from some songs and St. Anger) and they still kick a**.
LOLWUT

Seriously, there are people who think that drop-D is considered cheating? Makes about as much sense as saying that tuning the strings to an exact pitch is cheating because it allows you pick notes without pre-bending.
Quote by Sami Philadelph
Yes, yes it is.
No excuses.

Get the buck out of here

No, it isn't cheating.
I usually use drop D when i need to reach some tones that are impossible in standard tuning. Also, its quite useful in doing fast riffs.
Now if you only play in Drop D, you are lazy. I bet if someone gives you a metallica/*insert any metal band here/standard song by another band* you wont be able to play it, unless its smoke on the water.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
It's morphing time bitches.
If tuning down one string to achieve a lower note is cheating, then so is using a delay pedal to create an echo since a guitarist should obviously be able to pick every note, a wah pedal to affect tone because one should be able to manipulate the tone knob in real time while playing, sweep picking to unleash a quick arpeggio since everyone should obviously be able to alternate pick everything with ease, or using open strings in chords because every note ever should be fretted.

If making something easier to perform is cheating, then I'm guilty as charged of making sure that what I play is as effortless for me as possible. Why should I have to stand on stage and put 100% of my mental power into trying to make things difficult for myself and struggle to play something when there's an easier way to do it? This thought that it has to be difficult in order to be good, or else it's simply "cheating", is pretty retarded if you ask me.

Most of the people who consider Drop-D tuning to be cheating are probably people who've done at least one thing in their lives to make their situation easier on themselves by rigging something to work in their favour. You can't tell me you always went out of your way to make things the most difficult on you.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Thats when I hate it...

Oh, and could someone please tell me what's so different about playing power chords with only one finger as opposed to playing power chords with two or three?

In the end, it's the same damn thing. If a guitarist only plays power chords ever, they're just as unskilled no matter how many fingers they're playing with. Doesn't have to be because of a tuning that a guitarist is untalented. There are plenty of guitarists who milk Drop-D tuning and all its variations for all they're worth (Kim Thayil, Daniel Gildenlöw, Steven Wilson and Ty Tabor, anyone?), while there are plenty of guitarists that play in standard that are absolutely atrocious. The tuning doesn't make the guitarist, their creativity and ability do.
Quote by travislausch
If tuning down one string to achieve a lower note is cheating, then so is using a delay pedal to create an echo since a guitarist should obviously be able to pick every note, a wah pedal to affect tone because one should be able to manipulate the tone knob in real time while playing, sweep picking to unleash a quick arpeggio since everyone should obviously be able to alternate pick everything with ease, or using open strings in chords because every note ever should be fretted.

If making something easier to perform is cheating, then I'm guilty as charged of making sure that what I play is as effortless for me as possible. Why should I have to stand on stage and put 100% of my mental power into trying to make things difficult for myself and struggle to play something when there's an easier way to do it? This thought that it has to be difficult in order to be good, or else it's simply "cheating", is pretty retarded if you ask me.

Most of the people who consider Drop-D tuning to be cheating are probably people who've done at least one thing in their lives to make their situation easier on themselves by rigging something to work in their favour. You can't tell me you always went out of your way to make things the most difficult on you.

Quote by travislausch
Oh, and could someone please tell me what's so different about playing power chords with only one finger as opposed to playing power chords with two or three?

In the end, it's the same damn thing. If a guitarist only plays power chords ever, they're just as unskilled no matter how many fingers they're playing with. Doesn't have to be because of a tuning that a guitarist is untalented. There are plenty of guitarists who milk Drop-D tuning and all its variations for all they're worth (Kim Thayil, Daniel Gildenlöw, Steven Wilson and Ty Tabor, anyone?), while there are plenty of guitarists that play in standard that are absolutely atrocious. The tuning doesn't make the guitarist, their creativity and ability do.

Since when does playing the "hard" way vs. the "easy" way matter?
Does it SOUND good? If yes, then use it, your not cheating!
You can have the most difficult, intricate, technical music you can think of...but that doesn't mean it's gonna sound any better.
What matters is the sound your creating...NOT how many fingers you use to play a certain chord. Some music works better with drop tuning, but can be played both ways. You could play something like "Animals" by Nickleback in drop D OR tune the whole guitar down a full step. works both ways...I'd rather just tune 1 string rather than all 6 for the 3-4 songs I play in drop D.
Using drop tunings also makes it easier to rapidly move from chord to chord without sliding on the strings (making unwanted noise if your not careful) by using different fingers to bar the chord rather than holding the chord shape and flying all over the neck (Skillet's "Monster" comes to mind)
Bottom line: If it sounds good, it IS good. Are you playing to make music? Or to impress people with how hard you can make a guitar to play?
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by kenan6346
There is no cheating at guitar - if you're shit at playing in standard, you'll be shit at playing in drop D.

Aaaaand that about sums it all up. Drop D and standard both have their goods and bads. There are some really good techniques that can only really be done in dropped tunings, and there are some really good techniques that can only be done in standard tunings. It's really all about preference. I personally like to use D standard and drop C. Those two really cover and genre I would want to do and the lower tuned strings make singing a lot easier for me (try playing/singing Ride the Lightning in E standard, then do it in D standard. Your vocals will sound/feel a lot more natural, and it puts a lot less stress on your vocal chords).
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09
(try playing/singing Ride the Lightning in E standard, then do it in D standard. Your vocals will sound/feel a lot more natural, and it puts a lot less stress on your vocal chords).

Singing and voice range is soooo individual, that claiming something like this is ridiculous. If it works for you, by all means go for it, but don't think that it would work for everyone.
I agree with this thread- drop D isn't "cheating". Anyway, you'd have to be pretty narrow minded to think that all the guitar was about was playing fast powerchords...

...because that's all drop D tuning actually makes easier! Any alternate tuning is there to get a different sound out of the guitar. Is using open G cheating? No, because it sounds awesome with a slide, it's really not about how it makes major chords easier (as all the strings are tuned to a G major chord).

Although, if something is "cheating" it's when people use a sock etc, tied around the neck to mute the strings- there is a technique just for that, and it's called muting! Using a sock to mute the strings doesn't make your guitar sound kooler, it just hides your poor muting technique!

So there is a difference between something done to change the sound of the guitar, and something that is only there to hide poor technique.

Drop D tuning isn't cheating unless ALL YOU EVER PLAY is fast powerchords- which wouldn't really make you a great guitarist anyway...certainly not a great musician...
Well, D is one whole step lower than E... so no, it's not cheating. It's basically just E standard with being able to play 2 notes lower than normal (Eb and D)
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by travislausch

good point its not like power chords are any harder with two fingers rather than 1 lol
Ummm, all of you that think anything is "cheating" is an idiot. Since when is playing guitar a sport?
If you think a tuning, or a sock or arm band around the neck is cheating, then stop using picks, stop using amps and stop using capos.
Quote by kapman2489
good point its not like power chords are any harder with two fingers rather than 1 lol

Ummm.....once you have the ability to form your general power-chord shape, it's no harder than playing with 1 finger.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah, you suck at sarcasm as well.