Have to replace the pots in my guitar and since I wanna replace the pick ups in my V as well figured this is the best time to do so. Was wondering how people like both of these pick ups. Want the phat cat in te neck and pearly gates in bridge obviously. Any feed back would be nice. Also are the pearly gates wax potted? It doesn't say if they are or aren't on gc. Thanks
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
you are not getting any responses because the first thing we want to ask is...what amp?

but i'm sure you are working on all of your bases. I don't have your answer but what I found helpful was 'search'ing here for the pups and guitar you are asking about and also hanging out in GBnC at bit

worst case - ask a mod to move this to EG, you'll get more responses me thinks
Only have limited experience with both pickups, so I can't say for sure.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
the gates is a nice rock pup in the bridge of a mahogany set neck guitar. i have them in both positions of a set neck mahogany guitar. I prefer the neck tho and wind up playing cleans and more up there. billy gibbons has used them for years. i've never used the phat cat.

so what amp?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
PG is wax potted, only models I can think of that aren't are the Seths and Antiquities (I also have a special ordered unpotted '59). It's thin sounding, and it's got a lot of bite on top, and for that reason I like the PG neck, gives a nice flutey, almost single coil esque sound. Not a fan of the bridge pickup though, it's a little bit too bright and bitey for me. I like something to have bite but with the highest frequencies to be rolled off a little bit so the top end has more of a singing quality instead of being so ice picky. But thats my experience with the PG in a les paul, in a flying V, it won't be as bright so you mihgt like it.

But they're supposed to be loosely based on the specs of the Reverends PAFs in Pearly Gates. Who knows though, Seymour winds custom pickups for all his high profile artists and even the Gibson PG custom signature les paul uses custom wound Duncans.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
you are not getting any responses because the first thing we want to ask is...what amp?

but i'm sure you are working on all of your bases. I don't have your answer but what I found helpful was 'search'ing here for the pups and guitar you are asking about and also hanging out in GBnC at bit

worst case - ask a mod to move this to EG, you'll get more responses me thinks

yeah i figured people would want to know amps, but thats wont help cause ill be using 3 amps to gig with and one isn't even out yet.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by al112987
PG is wax potted, only models I can think of that aren't are the Seths and Antiquities (I also have a special ordered unpotted '59). It's thin sounding, and it's got a lot of bite on top, and for that reason I like the PG neck, gives a nice flutey, almost single coil esque sound. Not a fan of the bridge pickup though, it's a little bit too bright and bitey for me. I like something to have bite but with the highest frequencies to be rolled off a little bit so the top end has more of a singing quality instead of being so ice picky. But thats my experience with the PG in a les paul, in a flying V, it won't be as bright so you mihgt like it.

But they're supposed to be loosely based on the specs of the Reverends PAFs in Pearly Gates. Who knows though, Seymour winds custom pickups for all his high profile artists and even the Gibson PG custom signature les paul uses custom wound Duncans.

ok cool. makes sense why theyd be brighter in the LP. i was thinking of going with a high out put pick up, but i don't know if i wanna do that with the V or not. something a bit articulate would be more suitable with a single coil i think.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
kk

so what are those 3 amps?

windsor, vox ac100 head, jet city jca100h

windsor will be used alone and the vox and jet will be a/bed

also windsor and vox are getting complete retube with jjs so they wont sound the same as they do with the stock tubes in them. have a bit more of a marshall feel to the tone when that gets done cause of a ecc803 in the v1 position of the pre amp.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Sounds like a killer set up!

I SO want to try a Jet City.

Does your guitar look like this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Faded-Flying-V-102935913-i1149297.gc?source=4WWRWXGB

What about a Duncan Custom Custom? Passive?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Sounds like a killer set up!

I SO want to try a Jet City.

Does your guitar look like this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Faded-Flying-V-102935913-i1149297.gc?source=4WWRWXGB

What about a Duncan Custom Custom? Passive?

yeah thats the guitar i have. i was looking at the custom custom. im at a loss really. it's either a duncan or bare-knuckles. those cost a lot more than i wanna spend right now which sucks. this is coming on quicker than i had hoped. wasn't planing on having the pots shit out on me. haha
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
kk'

well do what makes sense.

at least call Duncan's cust serv line and check/ask...I love mine.

again.....good luck with rig...sounds great

yeah. thanks man.once i have everything i'll be posting some video clips of it.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
listen to al112987 too......he knows his shit

al112987 also happens to be the same guy that TS butt heads with over SS vs analog a while back lol.

Don't worry... I butt heads with al severely the first time I met him too... and I'd say we get along sterlingly now.

Craps man... you have a Jet City...

Opinions, reviews, pictures and clipporz are all mandatory nao.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
al112987 also happens to be the same guy that TS butt heads with over SS vs analog a while back lol.

Don't worry... I butt heads with al severely the first time I met him too... and I'd say we get along sterlingly now.

Craps man... you have a Jet City...

Opinions, reviews, pictures and clipporz are all mandatory nao.

nah. No jet city yet man. As far as I know the 100 watt head isn't out yet.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Crohny
nah. No jet city yet man. As far as I know the 100 watt head isn't out yet.

But you said you had it...

Quote by Crohny
windsor, vox ac100 head, jet city jca100h

windsor will be used alone and the vox and jet will be a/bed

You're evil!
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
But you said you had it...

You're evil!

nope, you just didn't read the enough of the posts.

Quote by Crohny
yeah i figured people would want to know amps, but thats wont help cause ill be using 3 amps to gig with and one isn't even out yet.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Crohny
nope, you just didn't read the enough of the posts.

Ah missed that part...

Remember to post reviews, opinions and a NGD when you get it.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
eye heart the pearly gates!
seriously. its awesome. i can do metal with it, i can do blues with it. its awesome
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by ragingkitty
Ah missed that part...

Remember to post reviews, opinions and a NGD when you get it.

I will if I ever get the chance to use thecomputer again. Once my rig is finished who knows if I'll ever not use it. Haha
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Yeah I'm leaning towards the ph, custom custom and some Gibson pick ups. Ended up winning a p94 neck pickup on eBay. Pumped on that.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT