Hey im new to the forums and pretty new to the Guitar also and don't know too much about amps. I have around $300 to spend and I was wondering what type of Amp I should get? I was thinking about getting a Line 6 Spider 3 75 Watt

but Someone I know insisted I should get a Amp head and Cabinet separately because when he broke his he had to buy a whole new stack. But im not sure how good his word is. What are the benefits to a Stack compared to a Combo and is it really worth it? At the moment I don't think i could even afford a stack (since i only have $300) and I was planning on purchasing an Amp before Christmas
no
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
1. Don't get that amp

2. Don't use that money to buy a stack...you'll end up with a worse amp than the Spider

You might be able to pick up a decent used amp with that $300
dont get line 6 spider ....im not ''bashing the spider'' but their is more bang for your back.. and to be fair the spiders III's sound like bees in a can

do what i did,

get a head and a 2x12 cab

easy to change head if you want to upgrade
easier transport - more trips but better than straining your back
just slightly more expensive... but its worth the extra IMO

SAVE UP AND GO USED.....
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Dec 8, 2009,
I used to play through a Spider until I upgraded to my half stack, trust me, I wouldn't get the Spider if I were you. It's pretty muddy.
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
safe up for a blackstar.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT-5C-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105154413-i1434794.gc
combo $500

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT-5H-and-HT-1
half-stack $600

i dont own one, but i wish. saving up for guitar in wish list ($15 bucks away!!!) but the blackstars play really sweet
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Your best bet is to look at 2x12 combos. Unless your gonna be playing shows or jamming with a whole band a half stack might be too much volume for practicing on your own and it's going to be a lot harder to transport.

If you get a decent 2x12 ($300 should be good) you can add another 2x12 extension cab later down the line and viola! You have a half stack

I recently went from a 3/4 stack lol (it was a head, 4x12, and a ported 2x12 on the bottom) to a 2x12 combo and will eventually run it into the aforementioned ported 2x12. I can't do it yet because of mis-matched impedance. TBH I love the combo and ext cab over the stack.

Just don't get a Line6...
Quote by almost_normal

Just don't get a Line6 Spider...

Fixed.

Not all Line 6 are terrible amps. Actually, a used Flextone maybe exactly what the TS is looking for. They usually go for $250-$300 used too.
Quote by kakos
dont get line 6 spider ....im not ''bashing the spider'' but their is more bang for your back.. and to be fair the spiders III's sound like bees in a can

do what i did,

SAVE UP AND GO USED.....

+1
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by eyebanez333
Fixed.

Not all Line 6 are terrible amps. Actually, a used Flextone maybe exactly what the TS is looking for. They usually go for $250-$300 used too.

LOL Thanks eyebanez333

Actually he's right about the Flextones; they are great sounding amps. And the HD147 is pretty cool too but that is one LOUD head. If thats what the Flextones are going for I would suggest to at least take the time and check them out.

The Spiders on the other hand. Well, the Spiders are like a Digitech RP unit with a power amp. Which I suppose is a good feature as far as versatility is defined but the tone simply blows goats.
Quote by kakos

do what i did,

SAVE UP AND GO USED.....

Right, so what type of head and what type of 2x12 should i get? I'll work on finding them used aswell