I recently bought a new Gretsch guitar, its awesome- sound great looks great, has that les paul look to it. Unfortunatley it is extremely heavy. It weights in at just about 9.5 pounds, that is almost unbearable when standing up(or even sitting down) Its not like neck heavy, but just heavy in general. I was seeking advice from anyone with a guitar 9 or above pounds, like what kind of strap you use to cut the weight down. Ive heard very good reviews on "No. 1 stretch strap" very good for heavy guitars apparently. But before ordering any such strap I was wondering what people - preferably experienced with heavy guitars- have to say, like what you use.

Any suggestions? I'm dieing here.
well no strap is going to "cut the weight" down, it just may make it a bit more comfortable. i would suggest an over-sized padded leather strap.
go with the dimarzio clip-lock strap. according to their website, the strap was tested that it could hold up to 150 pounds or something like that.
^That doesn't mean anything, it's not a comfortable strap. It's not like he's going to be playing in a centrifuge.

I like the levy's boot leather with my 10.5 pound LP, they make one with a bit more padding too, though I forget the model name.
Quote by Roc8995
^That doesn't mean anything, it's not a comfortable strap. It's not like he's going to be playing in a centrifuge.

I like the levy's boot leather with my 10.5 pound LP, they make one with a bit more padding too, though I forget the model name.

ok well assuming he doesn't want the guitar he loves to fall to the ground due to its weight, the dimarzio is the strongest strap, making it a good choice
Quote by ipunchcouches
ok well assuming he doesn't want the guitar he loves to fall to the ground due to its weight, the dimarzio is the strongest strap, making it a good choice

Hey news flash, he wants it to be comfortable, not be able to hang a hammock with it.

TS, one of my mates made his own strap. We live in Alaska, so he used some soft fur for padding. It sounds lame, I know, but it's actually incredibly comfortable and you don't visibly notice the fur.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Ok. I'd normally recommend a nylon strap, but in your case, a wide leather strap will do.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by ipunchcouches

i HIGHLY doubt any strap would break from a 9.5 pound guitar. pick the more comfortable one cause strength isn't an issue unless your guitar weights 20+ lbs.
Ive heard Levi's are pretty comfortable.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
I don't know what it is called or if it is a purchasable model, but if you can get the strap like what Matt Heafy from Trivium has.
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
get the hamburg number one strap, its elastic and supposed to distribute the weight of a heavy guitar better than traditional straps.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

so lemme get this straight - Right now i have a 2" (wide) strap and it sucks
I want my strap to not cut off the circulation in my fretting arm, and for my shoulder not to hurt while standing up playing, so do i get wider and more padding, or just straight up elastic?- these two look promising

http://www.wholenote.com/item--MF.369224 - wide leather

http://www.amazon.com/No-1-Stretch-Guitar-Strap-Black/dp/B001N0R4UA - skinny stretchy

Which one should i get to avoid the above stated - im not too much worred about it falling on the floor (its almost happened many times with my banjo, and my reflexes are getting pretty good with catching and i dont care about gripping to my shirt and stretching it, I JUST WANT COMFORT, AND CIRCULATION IN MY ARM.

- Thank you, I know I'm sort of taking such a trivial matter out of hand but they're rather expensive, so before i buy anything i want to make the right choice, so i can get back to rocking
dont get the stretch skinny. i have one somewhere, it sucked. the guitar was all over the place, impossible to play.

i like a thick padded leather strap, also i've had some luck with strap pads (dunlop) added to any strap to make it feel better.
all my natural material straps feel better than the nylon-ish versions.

they also have back harness straps for when your back finally does give out
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
thanks man, my guitars ****ing heavy- i think i'm just gonna get an intensley big bass strap, they're bigger and seem more comfortable (i guess because they have to hold a bass) probably the one i linked below, it seemed to get good reviews - But theres no considerable difference between a bass strap and a guitar strap right? Like a differnece that wont allow me to use the bass strap on the guitar?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Levy-s-4-1-2--Padded-Leather-Bass-Guitar-Strap-775312-i1130949.gc
i was going to suggest a bass strap, but they tend to be longer, not just bigger.

i guess you should be able to hike the guitar up enough.

edit: says 42-50" just double check that against a standard guitar strap to be sure.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I've got a padded, plain, black gaucho leather strap. Works great for my LP and it's comfortable. don't play with them stretchies, they suck.
Quote by Roc8995

I concur wholeheartedly. I, too, have an LP (Agile AL3000) that weighs 10 lbs or so, and i use a Levi's Black leather strap. It looks sexy, doesn't give the impression that it's boring or too extreme (metal studs, anyone?) and it distributes the weight nicely over the wide strap. I usually play on Sunday mornings with church band for roughly 25 minutes or so before service, and it holds up nicely. I often play longer than that standing up just so you know, if the guitar is feeling 'too heavy' then maybe you need to get used to holding a heavy guitar, it'll still be a lil heavy in the future, but a lot less noticeable and hindering.

So if i were you, I'd spring the $30 or so for the nice strap, you might as well splurge this one time as it's a vital part of playing outside the bedroom lol...but make sure you don't cheap out on strap locks either...a nice strap is worthless if it doesn't have straplocks ensuring that your guitar stays connected...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Dec 9, 2009,
I like the Franklin Strap. It's about 3 inches wide of soft woven cotton and is really comfortable. They are $30. Seems like I paid $25 at Sam Ash. I have 3.

Here's a link...

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Franklin-Strap-3-Natural-CinchCaramel-Guitar-Strap-with-Leather-End-Tabs?sku=360760

edit: Ah here it is....

http://www.samash.com/p/3%20Cotton%20Cinch%20Guitar%20Strap%20Assorted%20Colors_183906
Last edited by fly135 at Dec 9, 2009,
Hey I greatly appreciate the advice - preciseley why i made a user account here- to get input from people who know more about guitars than I.
Im going to go with the bass strap, and tell you how it goes over

Ps - I may not know much on guitars(or straps for that matter) but If anyone has a question on a banjo, ill be glad to help
anyone cares- i went with a 2.5" franklin strap- works well, still minor shoulder pains, but nothing that cant be slept off : )
skinny stretchy straps feel like someone figure out a way to tie a tournequet around my collar bone.

i like levy's... not the MOST comfortable, but very rugged and they look cool.
I have heard thick leather straps are great.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.