What is the general difference in electric guitar makes and models, and also how should I go about picking my first electric guitar?

Let me elaborate a bit on my question:

I know of brands, such as Fender/Gibson etc, but I dont really know what the huge difference is between them, as far as Im concerned the sound Im looking for in a guitar can be achieved by any brand name? Just some more cost effectively then others. Am I right?

Also, I know in percussion there is different "tiers" of drums per brand and normally each brand follows the same general idea with a tier: professional line, semi-pro, intermediate, beginner.

Do most guitar brands follow this idea too?

I know I still have tons of research to do but I figured I would get the ball rolling here.

I also plan on going to a local guitar store and checking some things out first hand.

Thanks in advanced for any advice.
well in guitars their really isn't any tiers. there's beginners the there's every other guitar that isn't a beginner.

You should make a list of genres you would like to play, and keep trying out guitars till you find one you like.

also ask the people at the store which guitars would be suited for your musical choices.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
try a hss squire strat out,who's your fav guitarist?
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Quote by chrisdiehl

I also plan on going to a local guitar store and checking some things out first hand.

Best possible plan. Great idea. Btw, is this your first guitar, or your first electric? If you already know how to play, make sure you think of a relatively representative sample of the kind of music that you would like to play and play it on each guitar you try.
Good brands to give a try for a beginner :
Epiphone - Fuller tone. Les Pauls can be heavy.
Squier - Twangier tone, or bright, depending on model(strat or tele)
Dean - American made is always good. Some les paul likes and some metal
Ibanez - Some les paul likes and some metal. Many people like these for shredding, normally fast necks.
EDIT: Also, if you have some guitar experience, I would recommend a guitar 200+
If you are a complete guitar newb, something less (or maybe 200-250 with amp)
would probably be better, though if you want to shell out the cash, great.

Remember that most of your tone will come from your amp, so if you get a reasonably playable guitar and you look to upgrade, a better amp will probably increase your tone a lot more. Of course, if your guitar is not fun to play, definitely replace it.

And when you are shopping for guitars, find one that is easy and fun to play. A crappy guitar sucks. Seriously.
Last edited by catrolean at Dec 8, 2009,
One thing to notice is the majority of Fender guitars have two tone knobs instead of the usual one. The importance of this is, the second is capabale of controlling the temperature of the sun.
Haha, yeah my roommate has two tone knobs on his electric and we could never quite figure out what the difference between them really was...

I listen to a lot and my taste changes a lot but bands Im currently into are Arcade Fire, Elliott Smith, of course I love David Gilmour, but now that I think of it, Im not really looking for their sound so much as an electric that I like, unfortunately I wont know what electric guitar I like until I hear it :/. So I guess going to a store is more useful at the moment.

BUT thanks for the useful info on brands! Also my price range is anywhere from 500-1k, considering I can shell out some cash and hopefully add some xmas money into the pot.

Im also considering getting a Roland Microcube cause I like the one my suitemate has and Im relatively sure theyre a solid piece of equipment? Any thoughts?
For a beginner a Micro Cube is a great amp at a low price. I still use mine now and use my line 6 usb GX studio through it.
Quote by chrisdiehl
Haha, yeah my roommate has two tone knobs on his electric and we could never quite figure out what the difference between them really was...

I listen to a lot and my taste changes a lot but bands Im currently into are Arcade Fire, Elliott Smith, of course I love David Gilmour, but now that I think of it, Im not really looking for their sound so much as an electric that I like, unfortunately I wont know what electric guitar I like until I hear it :/. So I guess going to a store is more useful at the moment.

BUT thanks for the useful info on brands! Also my price range is anywhere from 500-1k, considering I can shell out some cash and hopefully add some xmas money into the pot.

Im also considering getting a Roland Microcube cause I like the one my suitemate has and Im relatively sure theyre a solid piece of equipment? Any thoughts?
The Microcube is a good amp, and should last you a while.

I wouldn't shell out too much on a first guitar - mainly because you don't really know what you want yet, and you'll likely be gasing after something else after a few months. I'd be tempted to spend a couple of hundred on a first guitar and stick the rest in the bank til you know what you really want.

Most guitar brands do a range from beginner - intermediate - semi-pro - stupidly expensive, with a few in the middle. They'll do different styles in each as well. Some of the top brands also have a second brand for their lower-end guitars, like Epiphone (Gibson), Squier (Fender), PRS SE (PRS), LTD (ESP).

Going to the local store is a good plan. Try and pick a decent sized store so they have a good variety for you to try out, and have a play with everything within your price range. Even if you can't play much have a fiddle - strum the strings a bit, pluck a few notes, see how it feels. Different guitars can feel very different - from neck size to weight and shape and balance. If you know what amp you're going to buy ask to try the guitars through that model amp too, so you can see what they would sound like at home.

I'd see what feels comfortable to you, write yourself a shortlist of what models you like, then come back and get some opinions on your shortlist.
As a begginer myself i recommend getting something that's comfy first, spend a decent amount of money and don't worry about all these tone knobs etc on the guitar what pickups it has because you won't notice many tone differences at first,

My first guitar was a ibanez grg170 it's a good guitar but i wish i had of picked something different because of the shape, the way i sit on the chair i have i can't use the strat shape and i'm small build so the top part sticks into my chest and makes it odd.

Les paul shape / explorer shape are comfy for me

everyones different.
as a newbie to learning guitar I wasnt sure what guitar to buy. so i bought a squier strat.
i'm suprised no one has said this yet. but the general difference with guitars are the pickups. yes there are other smaller differences (like wood type and body) but the big sound changing thing is the pickups. humbuckers are in the les pauls, single coils in the strats. humbucker=heavier rock (led zep, acdc, black sabbath)
single coil=bluesier tone (srv, eric clapton etc...)
you can make your choice from there