Does anyone know the output of these pickups? I'm looking to replace them but just need to know how much output these things have for comparison.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Probably Alnico II magnets, which are not very high output. I have Inf3 and Inf4 in my Ibanez. The Inf4 is decently high output, but not insane. I believe it has Alnico V's.

That's not to say you can't get a hot tone with them. With a good t00b amp with an OD pedal up it's ass, you can get some pretty saturated tones. Just listen to the opening A chord Slash plays on the heavy part of "Civil War". That'll melt your face off, and he's famous for using Alnico II pickups.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Dec 8, 2009,
Oh I've got a tube amp and an OD pedal up its ass

I was just thinking about upgrading to some Dimarzios.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by soul.power
Does anyone know the output of these pickups? I'm looking to replace them but just need to know how much output these things have for comparison.

I don't get it...

Why'd you need to know the output ratings of the pickups to replace them?

Just replace them with a pickup you like.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I'm thinking perhaps he feels his pickup output is inadequate, and doesn't want to mistakingly replace them with pickups with the same output.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
I'm thinking perhaps he feels his pickup output is inadequate, and doesn't want to mistakingly replace them with pickups with the same output.

You're probably right, but its still not such a concern IMO...

MOST Ibanez stock pickups tend to be defined by a few characteristics...

1. Lack of definition.
2. Lack of clarity.

Less so the Inf, and more so the PowerSounds... but the INF still aren't great pickups.

The lack of definition and clarity tends to be the one point that pulls the gain level back. If your sound is muddy and all over the place, it sounds worse when distorted.

Hence output is not really such a concern IMO...

I can't say for sure, but if I had to make a wild guess... I'd say that Ibanez pickups tend to be less than 10k.

Replacing the stock pickups with a pickup with greater clarity and definition will allow you crank the gain higher, simply because the signal is not mudding up and sounding like a poop-in-a-bag.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 8, 2009,
^i agree with him. although its good to have high output as well as clarity to push the preamp harder, you have an OD pedal for that so it shouldnt be a problem
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
True about the lack of clarity and definition. The Seymour Duncan SH4 in my Gibson beats the INF4 hands down in terms of clarity and definition, but the INF4 beats the Duncan on output. If I could boost the output of the SH4 it would be perfect. Many people say the SH4 has higher output than I'm describing, which may be in part due to my 11 year old volume and tone pots which are worn out at this point. I'm gonna be replacing them and re-grounding the bridge here soon.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
^i agree with him. although its good to have high output as well as clarity to push the preamp harder, you have an OD pedal for that so it shouldnt be a problem

That is true too, altho you generally wouldn't need something as hot as 18k of output, though it does have its uses.

Overly hot pickup can get you a higher gain without the hum, static and hiss... but you trade of your playing nuances and tonewood characteristics in exchange.

Quote by CnonfederateAxe
True about the lack of clarity and definition. The Seymour Duncan SH4 in my Gibson beats the INF4 hands down in terms of clarity and definition, but the INF4 beats the Duncan on output. If I could boost the output of the SH4 it would be perfect. Many people say the SH4 has higher output than I'm describing, which may be in part due to my 11 year old volume and tone pots which are worn out at this point. I'm gonna be replacing them and re-grounding the bridge here soon.

Well I've not heard your sound... so I can't say for sure, but the JB isn't the archtypical HEAVY FRAKING BROOTAL METAL pickup that some people like to recommend it for. Sure it can do a gothenburg sound because of its definition, but you're gonna need a high gain amp to do the grunt work IMO. I wouldn't recommend a JB for extreme metal in general tho.

Also, yes... overly old pots do suck volume.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I really like the looks of the PAF Pros. They look promising and I wanted to know the output of them relative to my current ones.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by ragingkitty
That is true too, altho you generally wouldn't need something as hot as 18k of output, though it does have its uses.

Overly hot pickup can get you a higher gain without the hum, static and hiss... but you trade of your playing nuances and tonewood characteristics in exchange.

Well I've not heard your sound... so I can't say for sure, but the JB isn't the archtypical HEAVY FRAKING BROOTAL METAL pickup that some people like to recommend it for. Sure it can do a gothenburg sound because of its definition, but you're gonna need a high gain amp to do the grunt work IMO. I wouldn't recommend a JB for extreme metal in general tho.

Also, yes... overly old pots do suck volume.

My tone tends to vary depending on the song, but my high gain tone, or at least what I push for, is early Killswitch Engage with less fizz and more mids. I also push for a hint of vintage, but plenty of squeal and edge, much like Nuno Bettencourt.

Yeah the JB isn't exactly a metulz pickup, which is why I'm glad i have the 6505+ on my side.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Dec 8, 2009,