Ok, so anyone got any good practice exercises or tips for getting fast alternate picking with alternating strings?
I can alternate pick fine when it comes to only one string, but as soon as it jumps to another string and back i can't do it... for example something like this

|------------------------------ 10----12- 12- 12
|---------------------12-10-12----10-------10------10---------------------------|

something like that where it goes back and forth...

any tips for this? or any practice idea's, or just keep practicing?

i've been playing guitar about 9 month's..i realized my alternate picking sucked when trying to play the solo to flirting with disaster, i can play it fine with just down picking but when i try alternate picking it goes downhill fast..

thanks for the help!
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Only thing is to make sure you do strict alternate picking; an upstroke always follows a downstroke and vice versa (this includes when changing strings).
Other than that, it's just a matter of practice. When I first started alternate picking I'd sit for hours picking extremely slowly saying to myself "down, up, down, up, down, up" as I hit the corresponding stroke. I drove everyone in the house mad because all they could hear was me saying "down, up, down, up" all the time.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
lol sounds like a plan..guess i'll have to piss everyone off in my house too!
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
G||---------------11-12-14-12-11------12-11-----------11------------
D||--11-12-14------------------------14----------14-12-------14-12--

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Start slow, always alternate pick, and gradually increase speed. Make sure that you play it perfectly. If that means you can only do it at 60 bpm, then oh well. Once you can play it accurately and everything sounds clean, bump the speed up 2-6 bpm and keep goin.
lol, same here, i can do alternate picking real well, but my main focus is when your going towards the 1st string, downpick. when your going towards the 6th string, uppick. When im learning the scales, i will always find myself downpicking twice, or vice versa but somewhere along the scale iil do it again, and get back on track.

Try these:
e||-----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------
B||------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------
G||-------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------
D||---------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------------------
A||-----------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------
E||-1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------------------
(repeat going backwards)

E||--------------------------------8--12--8-------------------------
B||-----------------------------10----------10----------------------
G||---------------------------9-----------------9--------------------
D||-----------------------10---------------------10-----------------
A||-------------------12-----------------------------12-------------'

I only recently learned this, but my friend said practice this about 3 times a day and in a week, youll get the alternate picking down fast.
Quote by MidniteHaze
lol, same here, i can do alternate picking real well, but my main focus is when your going towards the 1st string, downpick. when your going towards the 6th string, uppick. When im learning the scales, i will always find myself downpicking twice, or vice versa but somewhere along the scale iil do it again, and get back on track.

Try these:
(repeat going backwards)

I only recently learned this, but my friend said practice this about 3 times a day and in a week, youll get the alternate picking down fast.

In alternate picking you never do two downstrokes or two upstrokes in a row, a downstroke always follows an upstroke and vice versa. If you use an upstroke every time you're moving toward the sixth string and a downstroke every time you're moving towards the first then you're using economy picking (well, sort of).
As for your second shape, that's a minor arpeggio and I'd sweep that, not alternate pick it.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
This is all good advice. My only recommendation would be to practice something that you actually enjoy playing, versus a scale or random pattern - because you'll be more inclined to do it. So keep playing the "Flirting With Disaster" solo over and over again (or a section of it that gives you trouble).. you'll have the motivation to see it through much more than you might by going over canned runs.

In addition, just keep practicing - turn on a football game, grab the guitar.. and just sit back and keep going over the part until you get it
Quote by MidniteHaze

Try these:
(repeat going backwards)

For that second shape, if your friend told you to practice that for alt. picking, he's an idiot. That's a basic sweep shape. You could alt. pick it, but it wouldn't be very practical.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
For that second shape, if your friend told you to practice that for alt. picking, he's an idiot. That's a basic sweep shape. You could alt. pick it, but it wouldn't be very practical.

yes i know it is for sweep picking, the guy didnt mention anything about sweep picking so i decided not to metion it either. but i cannot sweep pick anything, so i decide to use it for alternate picking practice and its working. But YES YOU CAN USE IT FOR SWEEP PICKING
Last edited by MidniteHaze at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by Junior#1

Steve Morse alt-sweeps, it sounds unique.