Poll: Should Laptops Be Allowed In The Classroom?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should Laptops Be Allowed In The Classroom?
Yes
74 81%
No
17 19%
Voters: 91.
Page 1 of 2
I was reading this little argument in a book where a college professor says that he doesn't think laptops should be used, in his classroom, for mainly these reasons:

1. As a lecturer, it hurts his ability to lecture when people are focused on a laptop.

2. Laptops distract other students.

3. Students often use them to just check e-mail or do homework for another class.

4. Students are less able to listen and contribute their input if they are typing on a laptop.

And I was wondering whether or not you guys think laptops should be used in the classroom. As someone who'd definitely use a laptop in the classroom (if I had one) I'd find what others say interesting, especially at this board since the majority of you guys are students.
im allowed one in AP Euro class im in 10th grade, i dont bring it though
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Emus. Seriously, no bird should be that big.

Quote by CFH82
Long story short, I had a dream I fu**ed a horse.

Rise up
We are revolutionaries
Viva la revolución
I mean, I'd only really like it because I'd be able to get a lot more notes done, I'd be able to easily save and categorize (highlight/italicize) etc.

This can all be done with pen and paper, but the efficiency is much better with a laptop.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Yes and No

Yes because people can type up their notes and shit and do research with them.

No because they are a big distraction.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
It would be a very useful tool in class. I know that personally I would be focused on notes or whatever we were doing, but I think he's right, in that a lot of students would just screw around more than work productively.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
I say yes, because it really is a lot easier. And it's a lot harder to lose your work. The only class I still use paper for is math.

And if they're distracted, so what? It's better than being distracted by talking to other people. My gmail calender saves my ass more in one semester than a bloody agenda has in four years.
i have to bring mine otherwise i get a detention
but it is a huge distraction
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
The government just gave me and everyone else my age across the state for free, which is supposed to be purely used in the classroom and for homework, which is cool. It's great because I can watch Metalocalypse and other cartoons in class
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
i like bringing it to lectures. yes it distracts me sometimes but it allows me to compile all of my notes in one place and not waste paper
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Yes, though I think that it's stupid on certain classes.
In college there's a guy that brings a laptop to ****ing Calculus II class. Why the hell do you need a laptop for Calculus? It's way more complicated to make graphs and equations in a PC than in a notebook .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Dec 8, 2009,
It was a lifesaver when my history professor asked something to the class and no one would respond. A quick google search would keep the lecture running smoothly.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
1. As a lecturer, it hurts his ability to lecture when people are focused on a laptop.

Why should he really care? How does someone using a laptop hurt his ability to stand at the front of the room and talk? I'm never witnessed a professor having trouble lecturing because of a few people with laptops.

Really? Maybe for a few, but I doubt too many people are going to pay attention to what someone else is doing on their laptop. There are a few people with them in all of my classes and I've never felt like it was a distraction.

3. Students often use them to just check e-mail or do homework for another class.

So? They're paying to take the class. If they want to waste their money by doing that then let them. It isn't disrupting the class.

4. Students are less able to listen and contribute their input if they are typing on a laptop.

Again, so? They are wasting their own time and hurting themselves if they choose to do that.

Quote by shut_up_n00b
It was a lifesaver when my history professor asked something to the class and no one would respond. A quick google search would keep the lecture running smoothly.

I've seen this happen a few times too. I've even had a professor or two ask someone to check something on google for them.
I use a laptop in lectures to take notes as my handwriting is very poor and I find it easier to type, especially as I use a program that allows me to write my notes directly onto my lecture notes. In order to do this without taking in my laptop I'd have to print out all my notes before going to the lecture, which would be expensive and time consuming.

Quote by The Madcap
I was reading this little argument in a book where a college professor says that he doesn't think laptops should be used, in his classroom, for mainly these reasons:

In what way? If I'm taking notes on a laptop how does that hurt his ability to lecture anymore than it would if I were taking them with a pen and paper?

Again, why would they do so more than a pen and paper? Learn to focus on the lecture, not what other people are doing.

That's their loss. At least they're attending.

That's complete shit
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I have a 10" netbook for taking notes and it's helped my schooling immensley.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by shut_up_n00b

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

laptops should be allowed in the classrooms,but only to the responsible students
Hard Rock,Nu Metal,Trance n Hardstyle lover
I don't find a need to have a laptop. I'm not sure whether to vote yes or no though.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I don't have a laptop and if I did I wouldn't bring it into class but I really don't give a crap if someone takes a laptop into class. If it helps someone learn the subject better, all the power to them. If it only serves to distract someone, well, it's only their mark that they're hurting.
As a college student, laptops should not be allowed in the classroom. It's distracting to the user and nearby students.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I'm allowed laptops in my classes, but I would probably be on the pit the entire lecture.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
There is absolutely no point in having a laptop in class you don't need it to take notes thats what a pen and paper is for, also you don't need it to look up stuff because you should study and already know it
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
Theyre required at least occasionally in all classes at my school, and im a sophomore in high school. they make taking notes a little easier, and of course you can use google for pretty much anything.
They were even required in 6th-8th grade, but they had to be school issued laptops back then. no extra software could be installed.
Quote by zakky_s
There is absolutely no point in having a laptop in class you don't need it to take notes thats what a pen and paper is for, also you don't need it to look up stuff because you should study and already know it

My lecture notes are put up on the internet a few hours before each class. MS OneNote allows me to download them onto it, file them, and then write and draw directly on them during class. This saves a huge amount of time because I don't have to write out any of the things that are already written on the slides. This means that I can take far better notes because I can better pay attention to additional information not on the slides and stick them onto it next to the relevant points already on the slide.
The only other way I could do that would be to print out the notes before hand, which is expensive and takes a lot of time.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Yes, I do.
I'm far more able to type than I am to write.

My handwriting is, quite seriously, God-awful.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah I think they should be allowed, but I understand why some profs might not like them.

All in all I say as long as the laptop user isn't distracting other students, its all good. If they're fucking themselves over, that's fine.

I don't take mine to lecture on a regular basis; I prefer writing by hand.
MATTERHORN
Quote by urik
Yes, though I think that it's stupid on certain classes.
In college there's a guy that brings a laptop to ****ing Calculus II class. Why the hell do you need a laptop for Calculus? It's way more complicated to make graphs and equations in a PC than in a notebook .

Not if you use paint.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 AC BXP 4-String Bass
Fender BXR 60 watt
Squier Fender Stratocaster 20th anniversary edition\
Pignose acoustic
Samick D1/SN
Said professor should stop speaking in a monotone.
The key to successful teaching is passion. With out passion you're boring.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
yes and no.

yes: if they're being used for their intended purpose as not taking or viewing slides / pictures on the teachers web site (happened this semester).

no: if the users are playing call of duty 6 online and distract the students around them (this happens all the time to me, but i love to watch them get destroyed!!!). the colleges should find a way to keep kids off gaming servers...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by joshua029

no: if the users are playing call of duty 6 online and distract the students around them (this happens all the time to me, but i love to watch them get destroyed!!!). the colleges should find a way to keep kids off gaming servers...

Mine has. You can't use online gaming on the university network.
Doesn't stop people playing flash games in their browser.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I used a laptop for Latin last year. It meant I didn't waste paper printing texts of Latin passages out and it also meant I could record some lectures.
Quote by Jackal58
Said professor should stop speaking in a monotone.
The key to successful teaching is passion. With out passion you're boring.

Please don't remind me of my first year architecture course.
MATTERHORN
Yes. If students with them are that much of a distraction then kick em out.
i dont see how gaming during the lecture is different from drawing during a lecture when using pen and paper.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by The Madcap
1. As a lecturer, it hurts his ability to lecture when people are focused on daydreaming.

2. Anything will distract other students.

3. Students often use them to just text or do homework for another class.

4. Students are less able to listen and contribute their input if they are taking notes on paper and scribbling furiously to keep up with the professor.

None of those problems are unique to computers. College kids won't pay attention if they don't feel like it, whether they have a laptop or nothing.

I thought about taking my laptop to class a few times just for the simple fact that I can type much faster than I can write with a pencil. Erasing is much easier as well. My laptop is a pretty sizable 17 inches though, so it seemed like it would be pretty obnoxious to have it sitting on a little desk.

The only downside I can see is laptops with really loudass keyboards, causing a room to be filled with annoying "TICKA TAPPA TICKA TICKA TAKKA TICK" noises.
I don't think so. I think you can take adequate notes by hand. I don't think the laptop has any redeeming advantage over hand-written notes.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Page 1 of 2